Salmon research gets revived and expanded

Posted by: Phoenix77

Salmon research gets revived and expanded - 06/17/10 10:48 AM

Scientists, fishermen collaborate on efforts throughout coast

Left dead in the water for the past two years due to a commercial fishing shutdown, a major salmon research effort re-launched this year and has expanded beyond Oregon to include Washington and California.

Built on a pioneering study initiated in 2006 by Oregon State University (OSU) researchers, the West Coast Salmon Genetic Stock Identification (WCSGSI) program - a grassroots collaborative effort between scientists and fishermen - is seeking congressional support to provide $2 million to fund the NOAA program for 2011.

Researchers and scientists involved in .... http://www.newportnewstimes.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=22911&page=72
Posted by: SBD

Re: Salmon research gets revived and expanded - 06/17/10 11:00 AM

I was just getting ready to post this..More convoluted thinking, spending 2 million a year trying to keep as many boats as possible working on a mixed stock/year class fishery. Take the money and when the fisherman retire so does the boat and permit, the fish will find there way home to either gravel or a terminal fishery..Nothing against the troll fishery I did it when I was young, but fish were a fish then. In this day and age it needs to be a small fishery not the large one.