Gettin' one back from a sealion...

Posted by: TJN

Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/20/10 11:05 PM

...you should have seen the look on his face..

The trick is running your boat right on top of the overgrown water rat and rocking his world with sealbombs. All legal according to NOAA's website as long as the marine mammal is interfering with your catch.

Not the first time I've done it, but this time we've got the pics and the story in Sitka: Part two!

The current score for the 2010 salmon season:
Fishermen 1, Sealions 0 hello
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 01:20 AM

Got one back today from a fur-less furbag of the gray and spotted variety.

Almost lost the prized collars to that bass turd!

Only meat loss was a lacerated one inch medallion off the left shoulder "loin".
Posted by: floatinghat

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 01:47 AM

I haven't tried it but, I have heard an air horn blast in the water while position above them will also work?

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 02:18 AM

The roar of a 225 E-Tec barrelin' down on a seal's a$$ has been known to make a jaw or two drop... just long enough to let go and give you a quick chance for the scoop and salvage.

Sea lions, not so much.

Speaking of dropping jaws, hang on to yours....

Posted by: On The Hook

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 03:01 AM

OKAY OKAY I am not able to speak and barely able to write. Nice fish!!!!!
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 03:21 AM

little miss little miss little miss cant be wrong wood shampoo

Damn Doc she looks another 4" taller. Congrats on your fathers day present.

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 07:04 AM

Nice fish Doc!!! hello

It's fascinating to see the same scars on the cheeks of your fish as on the one we got back!

In wonder how long it will take the aqua-vermin foul to figure out that the head grab doesn't always work?
Posted by: Eric

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 10:26 AM

thumbs
Posted by: SBD

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 11:00 AM

Nice shots! Sealions get a year long season, the big ape's aren't going to miss these fish.
Posted by: Sickpup

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 01:29 PM

? for poeple... is it legal to shot them with paintball gun. I'm hearing from some that it is, others are saying it is a federal offense to "harass" marine mammals.

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 03:19 PM

Hey 'pup,

Here's a cut and paste from NOAA's Marine Mammal Deterrence Page

"Potential methods for use by fishers to deter Pacific harbor seals and California seal lions from damaging gear or catch (anglers must be actively fishing with gear deployed).

Visual Repellents/Noise Makers:
boat hazing, circling
pounding on hull
pyrotechnics (e.g., bird screamers, bangers, underwater firecrackers, cracker shells)
starter pistols
horns, bells, whistles

Physical Contact:
• slingshots
non-toxic and water soluble paint ball guns
non-lethal ammunition (e.g., rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers)

Methods to Avoid – The following methods and techniques have an increased likelihood of causing injury or death and should be avoided.
No Firearms with “live” (lethal) ammunition
No Devices with Injurious Projectiles (e.g., archery gear, crossbows, spear guns, bangsticks)
No Sharp/Pointed Objects (e.g., harpoons, spears, gaffs, nail studded bats/poles/clubs)
No Entangling Devices (e.g., loose webbing, snares, concertina wire)
No Aggressive Tactile Methods (e.g., striking animals with bats, hammers etc., impact with vehicles or boats )
No Tainted Baits or Poisons

Act Responsibly and Use Common Sense! - Regardless of method or intent, the property owner or fisher may be subject to prosecution should a marine mammal be seriously injured or killed as a result of deterrence efforts for the protection of property, gear or catch."

There should be a run on slingshots and paintball guns at out local sporting goods stores very soon. Hope this helps!
Posted by: A-DOG

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 03:23 PM

Thats asault brotha. Way to take those kings back!

Yep shoot em with paintball gun....Its legal on California Sea lions and harbor seals. Cant harass the Stellers as far as I know.

Here is a link for NOAA approved deterence methods.

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mammals/Seals-and-Sea-Lions/upload/Deter-Pinnipeds.pdf
Posted by: Met'lheadMatt

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/21/10 07:58 PM

Paint ball guns they laugh at, While springer fishing a kid in the next boat was pounding this big furbag and it didn't faze him. The boat below us fired two seal bomb's simotaniously and he looked like a porpose heading for the Ocean. Where can you get seal bombs? I need some.... Thanks, Matt

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/22/10 07:47 AM

Just go to Boom City, find some large firecrackers with waterproof fuses and add your own weight (small rocks) with biodegradable adhesive tape and voila'... Seal Bomb!

To successfully deploy, run your boat directly on top of the fish thief until your line angle is nearly vertical, light the fuse and drop the bomb! Make sure the weighted 'cracker is at least a foot away from your line & boat hull.

Repeat as necessary and don't rinse your fish off in the water right away...
Mr. Pinniped will be lurking around your boat for a while... banana
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/22/10 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TJN
Nice fish Doc!!! hello

It's fascinating to see the same scars on the cheeks of your fish as on the one we got back!

In wonder how long it will take the aqua-vermin foul to figure out that the head grab doesn't always work?

Well, the tail grab hasn't been popular either. I introduced a friend to fighing to get your gear back. Luckily the possession ended up with his 28lb keeper.
Only a scar from a tooth along the belly and the tail marks.

Not just a harbor seal, a young sealion, I suspect

Way to go Em...!
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/22/10 08:35 PM

We got this guy back from a pair of seals 3 falls ago on the Alsea. Note the bite marks on the bottom of the opercle...

Re: Gettin' one back from a sealion... - 06/22/10 10:03 PM

How 'bout matching his and hers?

Here's one from 2006:

And another from 2009: