Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em?

Posted by: BottomDweller

Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/25/10 01:35 AM

I'm thinking that this just might be the ticket for by boat. Anybody try any of these? I'd like to hear what you think. How many fish will they hold (Salmon type)?
Thanks
Posted by: bait dunker

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/25/10 02:17 AM

I use them on tuna and they work great, and take up less space.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/25/10 12:39 PM

I've used them a couple times, and still had unmelted ice at the end of the day, starting with one bag. Keeps two chinook well chilled. It's called a Katch Kooler and has a divider inside to keep the ice separate from the fish.

Sg
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/25/10 01:18 PM

never seen these bags before. interesting.
Posted by: IrishRogue

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/25/10 01:26 PM

Like Salmo, I use the Silver Horde "Katch Cooler" if that's what you mean?

I stuff sheets of "techni-ice" (basically blue ice) in one side, and fish in the other. Perfect for half day trips out on the sound. The whole thing (bag included) lives in one of my fish boxes. I prefer the blue-ice to real ice simply because I don't have to deal with water spills in my car on the way home.

THe downside is they are a pain to clean and dry properly, but it's manageable. I seem to go through one of these every 2 seasons, after about 2, they're grim enough that I spend the $15-$20 on a new one.
Posted by: Kramer

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/25/10 01:47 PM

I'm on my second Katch Cooler myself and they do work pretty well. I agree, not the easiest to clean and get the stank out but they do work. I just wouldn't be putting food in them anytime soon.
Posted by: stlhead

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/25/10 04:16 PM

I've researched these and am tempted to replace my in floor fish box with one. The best one seems to be the Reliable Fish Kill Bag which has a built in drain spout. Pricey though.

http://www.sportco.com/productcart/pc/RELIABLE-FISHING-PRODUCTS-KILL-BAG-28-X-48-466p52875.htm
Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/25/10 06:21 PM

I like the bags, easy to carry up from the dock, and if you are headed to the weigh in at a derby, fish hidden the bag keeps the suspense up longer.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/25/10 10:52 PM

I can use the Katch Cooler by Silver Horde for the rest of my life and not spend as much as the one by Reliable costs. Looks like a good product, but that's too steep for as many, or few really, fish as I keep in a year.

Sg
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/26/10 03:01 AM

Put a large garbage bag in the cooler bag and put your fish in the garbage bag. Makes clean up a lot easier and the bag should last more than two seasons.
Posted by: stlhead

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/26/10 01:12 PM

Yeah but the KatchKooler is only 36 x 16 and won't hold tyees.
Posted by: BottomDweller

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/26/10 05:40 PM

Sounds like a great thing but I wish it came in a larger size as well. Thanks for all the good ideas. The Techi ice looks like a good deal as well.
Posted by: SaltyDawg27

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/27/10 08:23 AM

where can you buy "techni-ice" ?
Posted by: lovetofish365

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/27/10 12:07 PM

i have 2 catch coolers and dont like em...its way eaiser to use and clean a ice chest for me...but i dont have to put my fish in the car or truck..i leave it in the boat for travel...the only time i would use the catch cooler bag would be for a derby...otherwise its a pain in the butt for me...c
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Insulated Fish bags...anybody using em? - 06/28/10 02:59 AM

Silver Horde has a new katch Kooler coming out soon. Bigger, Stronger and Cooler. Still more for the salmon Steelhead day than the 20 fish tuna run. Also works great as a seat cushion and a pillow for those days you packed back into your secret spot and want to take a little break.