MA 9/10 Reports

Posted by: Sky-Guy

MA 9/10 Reports - 07/16/10 07:24 PM

Had a well deserved and very needed day off to fish the opener today.
Started off slow for us, fishing Edmonds and President with little bait around and no fish observed. Then CanyonMan called us into the hot bite at Possession, so we blazed up there and 'Rogue hit a 7-8 pounder right away.

We picked up another 5-6 pounder, I had a drive-by, and the bite died.

We picked up to run over to PNP, and set gear just north of the point to troll with the outgoing. My Gear didnt go 20 feet and the rod tripped.... 10# Hatch on the deck. We ran back up and reset gear. Before 'Rogue could get his rod in the rodholder, I had another fish on...we hadn't trolled 30 feet.

Limits by 10.

15ish hen.

along with a 10ish hen caught not one rod minute earlier.

Epic Day! Thanks again 'Rogue for the ride...we're on a roll bro!

All fish taken on Green Flashers and Ace-Hi Flys, ...pretty much on the bottom.
Posted by: Slick50

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/16/10 07:31 PM

Sweet report! Those fish look great!
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/16/10 07:32 PM

Nice work ! ! You caught the second two right where we released an 18ish Nate about 45 minutes before. Guess we should have stayed and pounded it some more .. . .. .

And not even a wave as I went by after the second fish. ... . ..
Posted by: IrishRogue

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/16/10 07:36 PM

Great day indeed... CanyonMan was on FIRE...

FishRanger -- we were on the lookout for you, did we miss ya?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/16/10 07:44 PM

Yep, I cruised by on the inside a little bit after you guys landed the second one @ PNP. . . . . . Next time I can mark your hull to make sure you see me. . . ..

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/16/10 08:05 PM

I musta been busy cleanin' up the catch and missed ya Bryon. I looked for you as we cruised past Pilot because that's where I thought you were fishing.

Scott & Sledder were on fire, hope they got some pics of the lineup.
Posted by: Moravec

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 12:55 AM

Sounds like a pretty good opener...had just enough time to pull crab pots at Ballard before heading into work.
Posted by: landcruiserwilly

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 01:15 AM

we'll be out tomorrow....you guys? planning on hitting the same areas. i'll look for rogue's bitchin boat.....

willy

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 02:55 AM

LCW- No fishing for me until Monday evening, we're celebrating my Hannah's 5th birthday this weekend.

Any other reports from the water today/tonight?
Posted by: Canyon Man

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 10:51 AM

An epic day it was...Sledder and I started hitting fish right away and my boys just kept giving them the wood shampoo. I think the pictures tell the story best!

Kyle and Ryan with the carnage!

and Ryan with his "HUGE" King!!! smile

CM
Posted by: stonefish

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 12:55 PM

Nice work by all on the King slaying!
Posted by: GutZ

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 01:35 PM

Lost one screamin hot fish at PnP just after the low. By the time the scotty brought the ball up from 120' the fish was still going! then, gone frown
Just after I spoke to Ryley, I landed a high finner out on the bar about 10-12 pounds. Both on an All-in Ace Hi and army truck hotspot.

Headed back out now. Give me a shout. "Sea Kitten" or GutZ on 68

Looks like not much interest in going out to Sekiu/Snow Creek, so I am going to hang around and fish local. I have an open seat. Leave me some contact info ...

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 01:41 PM

Talked to Tommy Carroll a bit ago...he and Parquito were finished early...
Word is, that the Possession bite was lights out again this morning, ....for those who didn't drink to much last night and got out of bed in time rofl

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 01:45 PM

Oh! The Irony ...GutZ!
As the original king of boat ho's, once ruler of all open seats....you now have a boat and can't find a 1st mate to run to Seiku with rofl

...you need a protege!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 02:06 PM

Shilshol 90 minutes.
Got the extra scotty on the boat
Bring a 6 pack.
See Ya.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 04:08 PM

Yeah, there was an "OK" bite at Possession this morning. wink

Lines in the water at 5:15. First fish in the boat by 5:20 followed by complete chaos until 7:00 when we were done. Should have been done by 6:00, but damn seals and high-finners got in our way. rofl

Official tally was 6 for 10, with 2 20-ish pound high-finners released and one fish (fin unknown) that we unwillingly used to create an EPIC battle with a harbor seal. The battle ended with two sets of 5/0 RVRFSTR hooks squarely embedded in the corner of the seals mouth, resulting in a complete loss of all gear, as that 60lb. UG leader was not gonna give out before the 20lb. main. frown

Best morning of king fishing I've ever seen out in the Sound in 30 years. Was truly unreal. At one point, both our knees/hands were shaking and all we could do was sit down and recover from the adrenaline high we were on.

Me with a pair of fishies:

Tom with his pair of fishies:

Tommy Jr. with his pair of fishies: Oh wait, he decided to sleep in and didn't come out with us. D'oh!!!!!

Can't thank you enough for the awesome day on the water, TJ!!!!!

PS. One of the highlights of the early morning was yelling out "RVRFSHR HOOKS SUCK ASS!!!!!" as BroodBuster, Ike, and Todd came approaching us from the distance. I bet they were wondering who those arseholes were until they realized it was us. rofl

Oh yeah, all fish caught using RVRFSTR 5/0 hooks, 24ish" 60UG leaders with a green UV/Glow AceHigh and the UV jellybelly..er...jelly/fish HotSpot. 75' on the rigger.

Team Broodbuster apparently looked a little worse the wear. Something about a rental cabin, beer, 1:00 am, etc. wink Hope they got in to some fish. thumbs

FishRanger had at least one last time I heard.....

thumbs
Posted by: summerrun

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 04:15 PM

DAMN, knew I shouldnt have clicked on this post today...;)
Posted by: WN1A

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 04:30 PM

It appears that area 9 is the place to be, fishing was a bit slower in area 10. We didn't try it today, after battling the wind in our smaller boat yesterday. We did manage two fish yesterday, one at the trees, 13#, and one on the tide change at Presidents Point, 11#. When we pulled out at 11:00 AM the checks were 1 fish for every 3 boats and we were the first boat with multiple fish. Ace Highs and green flashers at 80 feet, works everywhere. The fish are in good condition and hungry.

Kate was happy with her fish after getting beat up by the wind.

Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: summerrun

My thoughts exactly.
Posted by: baddawg

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Originally Posted By: summerrun

My thoughts exactly.

Me too... Put the boat in thursday at guest moorage in everett to avoid the line friday am, got up friday am not feeling so good, but decided to head out anyway. Got to possesion and had to head back in, barely made it to the bathroom at the launch, spent the rest of the day and most of this morning sitting on the throne instead of at the helm. Might try again monday night or tuesday morning....
Posted by: TBJ

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 06:27 PM

After running over a seal 5 times to get it to let go I finally put this one in the boat. Low 20's area 10. Mooching cutplugs. We lost one other.
Posted by: RognSue

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 06:59 PM

TBJ... Nice (troll-by) meeting you ... Sue n I will vouch for that fish, we saw it with our own eyes...very nice!!!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 07:55 PM

Same to you. Always nice to meet other board users out on the water. Gonna be back at it again tomorrow! -Tom

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 08:03 PM

Nice fish Tom
Posted by: fish monger

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 10:27 PM

Ondarvr and I took advantage of Sledddddder's open seats this morning. We had high expectations after yesterday's reports...and we weren't disappointed. Started off hot this morning as well and we ended the day with 6 hooked, 3 in the boat and 2 natives put back. Pulling the pots and getting 13 dungeness made the day even better. Crab on the stove, salmon on the grill and beer on ice as I write this. smile

Great fishing with you guys and hope to do it again soon! Thanks again Randy and Jody!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 10:33 PM

Awesome reports guys, keep 'em coming!

TJ and Parquito- That's a really nice limit of fish, all big, fat, healthy, chrome, and back in time for breakfast!

WN1A- That's cool you got one at the trees, one of my favorite mooching spots from long ago. I agree that the fish numbers seem better just to the north in area 9, for now. There seem to be decent numbers of fish in 10 but the chunk of Duwamish and Issaquah fish obviously haven't moved in yet.

TBJ- Nice pig Dood!

Monger, Ondarvr, and Sleddddddddddddder, nice fishing again today. Enjoy the grubbin..I've got about 12 pounds of kinger in the brine headed for the smoker tomorrow, a chunk for the grill tonight, and a McNaughtons and coke in my hand presently.
beer
Posted by: hybridcx

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/17/10 11:19 PM

fish monger nice meeting you i was with bryon when we were pulling out.

also ondvar and sledder sorry i never got around to introducing myself. was kinda out of it after the day of fishing with the early am get up and all.

was a nice day out on the salt

nice fish TBJ.... and all

thanks bryon got to bonk my first PS king today. new to this ps king game and loving it.....

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 12:16 AM

Just finished cooking crab, Kinger will be on the grill Sunday. Came off the water with 2 today. Good fishing with ya Craigo and hybridcx. Good to finally meet face to face Sleddder.
Spent the afternoon on the Sky with the woman, hangin on the gravel bar, washing the boat and gettin some sun (none was to be had on the water this am).

Nice work TJ, you and Randy have been killin them. .. .

Sleeping in tommorrow. . . .
Posted by: floatinghat

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 12:41 AM

Tom, Nice fish makes up for yesterday!!
Posted by: stlhead

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 12:50 AM

Never went to the downrigger. I found a little spot where the kings had pushed the bait up on the beach and dropped the deadly mooching rig in 35 feet of water. Bang bonk bang bonk. both about 15#. Done about 6 am.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 10:48 AM

Blood on the Sea Kitten too!
2 fer 3 in about 3 hours up on the sw corner/scatchet head side of the bar.
Headed back for more after the knife work is done and the crabs are cooked.
New e-chip flasher (purple stripe scatter sparkly color) with an Ace High Fly and some krill goo.
Posted by: cohobankie

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 01:22 PM

Worked over to President's Pt. at dawn, first drop just north of the point to 75' in 120' and before I could get the other sticks line out "fish on". Hatchery teenager, but it was the guys first first fish in 14 years so had to keep it. Green/Glow and ace hi 36" from terminal.

Saw one other in my vecinity looked cohoish. Ran to possession to see the scene but far too sketchy for the 18 foot glasply. Big water for my little boat, and a total SH&T SHOW. Must have been a hundred and some boats.

Marked a ton of bait at the green can. Birds diving, total chaos, boats running full speed between other boats, looked like lake washington on a sunny weekend. Guess I have to upgrade to a 20 something boat.

Looking forward to weeks to come. Saw some faces from this board. Hope ya'll got one or more.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 02:08 PM

On my way to Shilshol right now.
Open seat and the extra scotty is on the boat.
Be there in about 45-60 minutes
Look for the Sea Kitten!
Posted by: Neal M

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 04:55 PM

Nice pics and reports fellas. Possession seems to be the place to be, and it's definately no secret!!! This morning we picked one up at kingston, then headed to Possession to finish off the limit with a double, and a single shortly after... Lots of fish on all around us the entire time we were there. Not a peacful fishery. If the fish could see what was going on up on the surface, they would vacate the area quick like. I'll be spending the rest of the season in quieter areas I think....
Spoke with the fish checkers on our way south, and they had not checked a fish south of JH..... I would still rather fish in solitude than catch fish on I-5 smile
Neal

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Neal M
it's definately no secret!!!

It's all those internet fishermen. rofl

I think I counted over 250 boats out on Possession.

Actually, I was surprised at how many boats were at just about every known "hot" spot. PNP, JeffHead, Keystone, Shilshole had a ton of boats on them.

I'd love to see how much $$$$ this is bringing in for the sport and the state.

Only a fool would deduce that these fisheries are anything but awesome for the state.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 05:06 PM

So true Parker smile
Tartar Sauce is only 17' long... I spent $1500 on getting the motor ready, another $200 on my trailer, easily $200 on gear, $50 on gas, and $200 on moorage for the next month and a half...... If this season were not open..... I might get out of debt. Gulp....
Just the boats at Possession this morning adds up to tens of thousands into the local economy! No brainer...

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 05:10 PM

I better delete this post before my wife sees it......hmmm
Posted by: huntncoug

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 05:38 PM

I went out this morning with Sleddder, launched at 4am and were the first boat at Possession. The water was rough as hell this morning but we managed to go 3 for 6. The first one came 30 seconds after getting the first rod in the water. We hooked the line to the down rigger dropped it 20ft and were in the process of stacking a second rod on the rigger when the first rod burried and began screaming line. Randy fought it for a little bit but ended up losing it, by the way it fought it would have been the biggest of the day. We ended up with 3 keeper hatchery fish 8, 10, and 12lbs.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 05:42 PM

Receipts... right.... Thats how my wife finds out when I buy copenhagen. I've learned the hard way to destroy that kind of evidence smile
Posted by: Fog Ducker

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 05:59 PM

Buried cash, and don't take the receipt, you would never think of returning it.

Ducker!
Posted by: ondarvr

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 06:30 PM

I was out yesterday with Randy (sleddeeddeeder)

First fish was on in about 3 minutes, didn't even have time to put the third line in the water. Fish came quickly early, but slowed as the morning went on.

Randy said don't bring anything, I have everything on the boat, this was an understatement.

First thing we find he already has 6 crab pots out, we (read Fish Monger) pull all of them and re-bait before heading to Possession with 11 crabs.

Randy has top of the line gear, all of it set up just right for what he plans to do on that day, rods, reels, line, downriggers, terminal gear, everything is right. He also has a system in how he does things and it worked well.

I brought some stuff with me, but really didn't need to, about all I needed to bring was a coat. He even said, if you guys are hungry there's some stuff under the seat, I lift the seat and he has multiple packs of beef jerky in different flavors, drinks and other munchies, looked like a 2 week supply.

About the only thing we could have done differently to put more fish in the boat would have been to launch earlier to check the pots before the sun came up completely. The bite was red hot at day break and slowed as time slipped by, so we would have had several more fish had we done this.

Fish Monger (Terry), it was nice to meet you. If anybody needs somebody to fill a seat you won’t be disappointed by having him in the boat, he’s a great guy. Did I say he also pulled all 6 pots….twice.

It was a great trip Randy, thank you for the good time.
Posted by: seastrike

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 07:20 PM

Our bite was also early. 3 hatch and 1 nate up by Whidbey with the crowd. 3 of the fish were 14-16 and one 8 lb'r. Saw Fish Ng 1 and Rico/Tom/Dave V. Should have seen you Coug as we were the third boat there this morning (running from Shilshole).
Fish checker said 1 fish per 3 boats for here at 2pm.. Said 1 fish per 2 boats Friday and Sat and most of the fish coming from 9.
Felt sorry for the dudes in sleds who had to run south after fishing.
Great day.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 07:33 PM

1 fish per 3 boats doesn't match well with what I saw this morning.... Interesting. Maybe most of the people that I thought were fighting fish were actually just tangled with other boats smile I did see that several times today. Lots of screaming too.....

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 07:40 PM

I got a free diver/flasher/coho killer (complete with a treble) from somebody today.
ps Thank you to somebody. Nice haul.
pps Don't run over the water immediately behind somebody's boat.....
Neal I also saw a few boats fighting each other. Funny when it's not you!
Posted by: Todd

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 07:55 PM

Considering we didn't fish much, we did just fine...three fish yesterday, including an 18# hen I got in the evening NOT at Possession, which, of course, is where the other two came from. If BroodBuster didn't farm the first four bites we'd have had an epic hour smile

Lots of fish vacuum packed, lots of dungies to eat up...

With the super low tide this morning we had to launch at Possession, and the 16' Lund was not really up to the task of running over the bar, nor were we up to the task of taking an hour and a half to drive around it (at about 5 knots), so a quick half hour out and half hour back without wetting a line was all we did today...

Good times, one of the best king bites I've ever seen 'round these parts.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 07:56 PM

Nice work Dave. . .
We ended up with an extra flasher and coyote spoon yesterday as well. Not sure where it came from, was just hanging off the DR ball when Craigo brought it up .. . . Glad I took the day off sounds like a rough day out there.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 08:09 PM

We saw Vedder and Rico but never did you see you Dave, were you in your boat?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 08:16 PM

Yup. Just me and Marcel.
We hung around the can for the first two hours and then trolled N away from the crowd.
Good eats coming up.
Nappy first though.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 09:06 PM

Anybody been fishing evenings? I may need to switch to that this week a couple of days. Reports?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 09:27 PM

Kingston/Pres point have been kicking out fish in the evenings. I got a nice fish of of presidents the other night and have friends who have been getting fish every night in those areas. I started late today to fish the tide change 8:30 to 1:00 and never saw a net fly but just after I left a friend got a nice hatchery and lost one around 2:30. I remember 2 years ago watching Irish Rogue and a few others get quick limits off of presidents while fishing with SS and Sol. Wish I could tell ya about some other spots but I gotta stay close to home with the Lund. Good Luck. -Tom

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 09:31 PM

Worst case is the beer tastes better in the evening, sunsets are sweet, crowds are down...[censored] call me, lets go:)

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 09:43 PM

Hey Chuck, when you gonna let this Boat Ho in your boat??? smile

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 09:46 PM

After Im done Parker, wait your turn...
Posted by: Sleddddder

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 10:32 PM

WOW!!! What a hot 3 days of fishing. Finally got everything filleted, cleaned, put away etc & time to post with a glass of Pyrat rum. Started off Fri with Canyonman & his 5yo twin boys. Went 7 for 11 (nice having the extra 2 cards on board) with #7 being wrestled away from a seal. One of Scotts sons loved to bonk the fish & we were rolling laughing egging him on "hit it, whack it, kick it, tackle it, it's still twitchin, hit it some more" he thoroughly tenderized a couple of fish between naps of course. Day 2 with Fish Monger & Ondarvr started off with some crab pot pulls with 11 dungies from pots I left out the day before. We finished the day going 5 for 6 with 2 nates, 3 in the box & one mishap with the net & downrigger ball (Sorry Terry) right next to Fishranger no less. Day 3 I was determined to get out early with Huntnoug & his friend Todd. I think we were the first out there & once we figured out the tide drift we set up I started to put the stacked rigger down. Got the first rod clipped & sent down 20 ft was starting to clip the 2nd rod in & hear zzzzzzzzzz WTH is going on? Fish on @ 4:40 in the dark. Lost that one unfortunately but we ended up going 3 for 6. Grand total for 3 days was 15 for 23 with 2 nates & 13 fish bonked. Awsome start to what should be a great year. Fished with one new face from the board "Fish Monger" Terry, had a great time & always welcome aboard.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 11:12 PM

Sledddder, did you pull the DR in on the fish today?? Sorry, got to give you [censored] about that, especially with the clinic you put on.

Keith, lets talk schedules .. . . .
Posted by: 4Salt

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 11:19 PM

I fished Jeff Head yesterday afternoon from the 3:30 tide change to about 9 pm.

Nothing doing on the tide change, but I went 2 for 3 in the last hour with an approx #14 unclipped released and a #10 clipped that I kept to BBQ.

It sounds like the best fishing is definitely in the morning, but I'm lazy and I HATE the madness at Shilshole at first light. So I go out at a leisurely 2:30 pm with NO launch line and parking 5 spaces away from the ramp, catch some rays, drink some beer and even catch a fish or 2.

I've got an open seat this Saturday if anybody's interested. There's a high tide around 7 pm. Shoot me a PM if you want to go.
Posted by: Sleddddder

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/18/10 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: FishRanger
Sledddder, did you pull the DR in on the fish today?? Sorry, got to give you [censored] about that, especially with the clinic you put on.

Yes, That's a lesson I learned a few years ago with Supcoop but got lazy & paid the price. Oh Well, it was a fun few days with hopefully more to come. The clinic was all stuff I've learned from other board members (mostly Canyonman) gotta give them credit.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 12:00 AM

Thanks again for the trip Randy, you have those fish dialed in!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 12:21 AM

Just got done feasting on my fish from today, it was excellent. I tried something new, I took the carcass after fileting it and pulled all the left over meat that I missed and made a salmon burger with it, it was awesome. Just mixed in an egg some bread crumbs and some fresh rosemary. Topped off with a McNaughtons and coke and was a fine meal
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 04:22 AM

Funny how each year is a little different. The last three years it took about a week for the fleet to find the BIG schools but when those BIG schools can be found at Possesion it's game on for everybody!

That's pretty much how the weekend went although there are some fish in the lesser known area's wink

Great to see all the smiling faces out there and thanks to those who sent me reports!

Arriving out there around 6ish Saturday morning and seeing Parker and TJ basically shaking with excitement and yelling gibberish was just priceless! That's what it's all about!!!! And no we don't have any beer on board. We ran out a few hours earlier smile

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 10:50 AM

I have been on the same plan as 4salt. Sounds like I should have hung around a little longer Sunday PM. That South wind wore me down. I called it about 7:30p Never touched a fish, not even a shaker.

I think I can get up a little earlier. See you out there Tuesday AM!
Posted by: One Way

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 02:06 PM

Damn is hard to listen to these reports from 900 miles away! Save a few for me for a month from now.
Posted by: Elkman

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 04:00 PM

Dad and I went 0 for 2 today. I had a mid-teen king about 20 ft from the boat, when Mr. Seal paid me a visit. I fought and chased him for about 15 min before my leader finally broke. There was a good early bite this morning. Mooching cut-plugs on the deck.
Posted by: Ikissmykiss

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: parker
One of the highlights of the early morning was yelling out "RVRFSHR HOOKS SUCK ASS!!!!!" as BroodBuster, Ike, and Todd came approaching us from the distance. I bet they were wondering who those arseholes were until they realized it was us. rofl

Jeez...Todd and his hat are that easily recognizable? We hadn't even dropped the kicker in the water and somebody starts cussing at us from 300 yards away? WTF? grin Good seeing everyone out there....

Parker is correct....best King bite I've ever seen out on Bar. More action than a Humpy year...no kidding. Friday, despite a brisk SW wind and snotty conditions, was unreal. When you actually had time to take a breath and look around you noticed that nearly EVERY boat within sight was fighting or netting a fish. Wind/waves/weather was nicer on Saturday morning and the bite was still good, but not as good as Friday. Distinct lack of a tide change bite on both mornings from what I saw....early morning show for sure. Anybody else notice the lack of shakers? I caught zero in two days....weird.

Anybody catch any Coho? I heard of only 1 on Friday...nice fat 8 lbr.

So the regs say this fishery is open 'til August 31? Any guesses on how long it will remain open? I don't think there is any way they will let us impact the wild Chinook that long, especially if everyone told the truth about how many wild fish they released. I'd be shocked if it remained open into August.

Thanks again Broodbuster for a most excellent weekend...one for the books.

Ike

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 04:34 PM

I have heard of virtually no wild fish being caught in area 10 so you area 9 guys must be whoopin up on em if you think they're gonna close it. Every fish I have brought to the boat since Tuesday has been clipped. BTW Kingston was void of bait, boats, and fish this morning. -TBJ

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 04:59 PM

We've released no wild fish yet either.
Except for the lack of you catching a fish....Glad to hear about Kingston TBJ, that means you guys left all the fish for me tonight smile Shoving off @ Shilshole 'Round 3:30 for the night shift.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 05:17 PM

I heard of wild ones being caught, but the majority were definitely clipped fish...but with the high pressure due to high catch rates, I'd wager the impacts are being burned at a greater rate than they figured before setting the closing date...we'll have to see how it goes.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/19/10 05:24 PM

I'm bettin' the catch rates drop off dramatically this weekend too. Remember 2 years ago... it was light's out on the opener, then slowed down afterwards.
Posted by: SaltyDawg27

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/20/10 09:39 AM

Rumor has it that posession slowed down a tad yesterday. I was at 3 rivers and heard a couple reports. Kings still being caught but more time and effort were needed. Maybe theyre moving south? Anybody else?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/20/10 10:53 AM

Was out last night and two of us went 7 for 10 in 2.5 hrs...didn't exactly feel like a "slow down"...lol AceHi's 100-140 ft. down in 150-160ft. of water. Unreal chinook fishing for Puget Sound. Pretty awesome fishing when you can cull through 10-12lbers and limit on 14-16lbers.

CM
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/20/10 11:19 AM

If you need a net bitch.....

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/20/10 09:26 PM

Made two big passes on Jeff Head last night, not much bait, no fish, ran up to PNP, no fish, little bait.

:|

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/20/10 10:24 PM

I've released two nice wild fish at Possession so far.

Must be me. All I could catch last year were wild kings.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/20/10 11:00 PM

Sounds like you should have followed Canyon Man around Ryley. thumbs

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/20/10 11:05 PM

As a matter of fact, he called me after they had two in the box at PNP, and it was so nice out, ....excuse me, the nicest night I have ever seen in my life on the sound.... I decided to pick up at Jeff and Run up there. Water was flat as a parking lot throughout the sound..Fishingwise, Just wasn't our night, and that's the way it goes sometimes...

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/20/10 11:09 PM

I hear ya!

Your story is MUCH more typical of the evening 'bite' than Canyon Man's.

Some guys are just lucky... I guess?

I fished Jeff Head Saturday evening and after about 7 pm the Sound looked like a duck pond. No love for me until the last hour. There ain't much bait out there and I think I got lucky and happened upon a pod migrating through.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/20/10 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
As a matter of fact, he called me after they had two in the box at PNP, and it was so nice out, ....excuse me, the nicest night I have ever seen in my life on the sound.... I decided to pick up at Jeff and Run up there. Water was flat as a parking lot throughout the sound..Fishingwise, Just wasn't our night, and that's the way it goes sometimes...

We were out yesterday evening, tried President Point for the tide change and then went to Jeff Head. Same success as you, no hits and little bait. It was an amazing sunset, well worth the time on the water.

Sunset 7/19/10 from near Meadow Point.

Posted by: fish monger

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 12:00 AM

Must be me. All I could catch last year were wild kings.

Must be my "luck" as well. Sleddddder brings 15 fish to the boat over three days with two of those being wild....and I catch both of them. crazy

Hopefully that streak doesn't continue for me at Sekiu.
Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 01:03 AM

Nice work guys. Good to see such a great opener.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 01:42 AM

Evening number two in the books with another limit...overall we were two for six on solid hookups with a couple other maybe's. 15 and 10 lb clippers. Same deal...acehi's 27" behind a hot spot down 100 to 120 in 130 to 150 ft. of water. Another beautiful night except for the two lost about a foot from the net...lol...oh well smile

CM

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 01:54 AM

Nice work CM ! ! How was the water this evening? I may be heading out on Thursday in the pm.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 02:06 AM

Smooth as glass Bryon...another beautiful evening with not even a breath of wind.

CM

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 02:18 AM

Looks like I should head to area 9 on Saturday instead of 10.

Good job CM!
Posted by: Ikissmykiss

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 04:09 AM

Conditions were about the same in the morning, calm but with heavy fog, which should continue through the rest of the week...but lots of limits too. One of my buds boated a 22 lbr. this morning. Like CM says, Ace Hi's seem to be the ticket. Hope it keeps up!

Ike
Posted by: FishnDon

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 09:51 AM

Great Reports everyone. I am heading out that direction this weekend and Think I have the rigging figured out based on the comments. Green Hot Spot flasher...27" back an Ace Hi fly 100 to 120 ft down in 130 to 150 ft of water. My question would be what color of Ace Hi seems to be working the best? I have many of them already but would rather start off with what is being most affective. Thank you in advance! Don
Posted by: HookedUp

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 10:00 AM

Must be me.

Same here - 2 wild released is all. But I'm sure its not me so it must be Bryon's boat!

Sounds like shorter leaders are en vogue. 24" for Ryley, 27" for CM. I've been using the old standard 38"-42".

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 11:06 AM

Got you of the boat and put 2 keepers on the next mornin. Must be you . . .
Posted by: Kramer

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: HookedUp

Must be me.

Same here - 2 wild released is all. But I'm sure its not me so it must be Bryon's boat!

Sounds like shorter leaders are en vogue. 24" for Ryley, 27" for CM. I've been using the old standard 38"-42".

Yeah, I was running pretty long leaders with my spoons but never tried the ace. Gonna give that a shot.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 01:24 PM

Slow last night in 10 for us. We fished Jeff Head, Pres Point and a little bit at Apple Tree. Perfect conditions and very little competition. Plenty of bait at President but we had no biters. Fished from 5 til dead dark.

We did pull up a crab pot on the down rigger. Looked like it had been there since last season. There was an entire ecosystem attached to it's line/float.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: WN1A

Sunset 7/19/10 from near Meadow Point.

Who cares about harvest with that kind of backdrop, thanks WN1A, hope to get an evening or two in before this season passes

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 04:46 PM

Hit it yesterday morning in the fog, nadda. Hit it this morning in the fog, nadda.... But yesterday evening, bright sunshine and a little breeze and....

ace hi, UV flasher w/green stripe, 130ft of wire in 170ft of water.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 05:14 PM

Nice one Baddawg!... glad you are feeling good enough to get out now.
I'll be headed back out Sunday AM @ 0-dark.
Posted by: bacota

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 05:21 PM

I'll be heading out Sunday at 0-dark as well. My buddy and I have always kept our boat up in Everett, so I've only launched from there or Muk. He recently moved, and so did the boat, so now Shilshoal is the closest launch. We'll be launching for the first time there, anything I should know? I might go check it out Friday or Saturday if I have time just to see what it looks like. I've never really wandered down there when chillin at Golden Gardens. Too busy doing other, uh, stuff. beer

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 05:33 PM

Great launch, can get crowded about 4:30, 5:00 am. Good fishing right out front.
Posted by: SundayMoney

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: bacota
so now Shilshoal is the closest launch. We'll be launching for the first time there, anything I should know?

There isn't a ton of room to manuever around at the ramp. Guys that need 40 acres to launch a boat won't do well there. I'm sure it'll be busy,but the line usually moves pretty quickly.

I think all the parking spots are back in,and there aren't a lot of them. Don't be surprised if you have to park on the street, a ways from the ramp and hoof it back.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 05:41 PM

What they said, if you see a Arima with Three Scotty electrics and a 70HP Yamaha, dont say hi, just get the F outta my way! cool

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 05:53 PM

Thanks Guys. If you see a white 18' foot closed bow (named Big Lebowski), with Penns and a 115HP Suzuki, do the same.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: SundayMoney
Originally Posted By: bacota
so now Shilshoal is the closest launch. We'll be launching for the first time there, anything I should know?

There isn't a ton of room to manuever around at the ramp. Guys that need 40 acres to launch a boat won't do well there. I'm sure it'll be busy,but the line usually moves pretty quickly.

I think all the parking spots are back in,and there aren't a lot of them. Don't be surprised if you have to park on the street, a ways from the ramp and hoof it back.

What he said, it can be a little tough to launch if you are by yourself, the line gets backed up a bit if you have to park a long way up the road.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 07:49 PM

What they said, if you see a Arima with Three Scotty electrics and a 70HP Yamaha, dont say hi, just get the F outta my way! cool

What size arima you running with a 70hp? I thought you had one of the big ol caddy type, not a kidney crusher like my 17SR.... Where did you mount the 3rd rigger?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 07:52 PM

must be a typo. it's the biggest arima i've ever seen, can't be a 70...

willy

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 08:13 PM

When you do get on the launch pad at Shilshol, please be ready to drop it in. I keep stopping in the turn lane to put on lines and bumpers only to be passed by some asshat who blocks the launch to do the same.

Better have extra batteries for your GPS if the last two days are any indication. Both mornings set out for PnP in the clear only to be seriously fogged in by the time you hit Appletree.

I have pretty good radar though. I have the net man stand up and yell, listening for echos.

2 for 5 yesterday, with one brutaly cut off by some cluless SOB. Ofer nuthin today. Crabbing remains good.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 08:21 PM

LCW,

Sky-Guy's Arima is a 16SC. I have the fat-boy 22SL.

B
Posted by: MAVsled

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 08:27 PM

hope some of those area 9 kings move into Elliott Bay this next opener.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: GutZ
When you do get on the launch pad at Shilshol, please be ready to drop it in. I keep stopping in the turn lane to put on lines and bumpers only to be passed by some asshat who blocks the launch to do the same.

Better have extra batteries for your GPS if the last two days are any indication. Both mornings set out for PnP in the clear only to be seriously fogged in by the time you hit Appletree.

I have pretty good radar though. I have the net man stand up and yell, listening for echos.

2 for 5 yesterday, with one brutaly cut off by some cluless SOB. Ofer nuthin today. Crabbing remains good.

As GutZ says, be ready to drop it in and move your boat as far out as you can before you go to look for a parking spot. The left turn lane coming from the south is the waiting line. Don't come from the north and try a right turn to beat the lineup. Please turn off you lights when you back down the ramp, no reason to blind everyone else. It is all pretty simple but a lot of people don't get it.

By 8:00 this AM the fog was heavy from Shilshole to Jeff Head. Nothing today but it is hard to find the bait and fish with GPS, compass, and watching for other boats in the fog.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 10:17 PM

Yep I Have a 16' Arima. The 70hp pushes Three guys, gear, and a hold full of ice at 30mph S.O.G at W.O.T.

Baddawg, I mounted up the third DR behind the bait/storage well, starboard side. It sits on a elevated swivel mount so I can center the cable some. I can post a pic of it if you want.

+10 on what WN1A said. I can splash and dash in 2-3 minutes typically. Pull up, park IN your ramp lane, unstrap tie-downs, un-clip the oh-sh!t chain, back her in and be gone.
Typically Shilshole launches go pretty quick, and really get backed up around the time the Coho Derbies get going. A lot of guys wont get up for a 4am launch. For me, I'd rather launch there than run up to Mukilteo or Everett. On decent water I can get to PnP in 35 minutes, Lagoon in an hour.

Posted by: SundayMoney

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 11:17 PM

For me, I'd rather launch there than run up to Mukilteo or Everett. On decent water I can get to PnP in 35 minutes, Lagoon in an hour.

Thats not bad at all. I launch in Everett and with the 5 minute idle out of the breakwater, its a 40 minute run to PnP.
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/21/10 11:37 PM

If'in ya run into a Sea Sport with a BIG ASS COOLER on the swim step, then step aside cause I'm packin!
Posted by: SaltyDawg27

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/22/10 10:04 AM

Pretty slow yesterday. They've moved. Fished from daybreak to 2 pm. Didn't see a net out. Heard of one being caught by a guide. Hundreds of boats. Started at possession, then to Skagit, to PnP then to apple along with the fleet.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/22/10 10:11 AM

Its' 7:10 am. I just got home. 3 dungies. A 20 pound king and a 10 pound king in the cooler. This feels wierd being home already. Area 10 West side. -TBJ
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/22/10 10:26 AM

Good work TBJ, good work.
Posted by: Hatch

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/22/10 10:57 AM

After last night I'd welcome feeling weird. Fished President and Jeff Head, 0 for 0, lots of bait not a lot of fish, never saw a net.
Posted by: TrollKing

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/22/10 11:28 AM

sounds like a morning bite for sure. looks like I might be going out in the morning. TBJ, feel like sharing any more detail on where? I've not been too lucky at Jeff Head,and get real tempted to visit old haunts a bit further south...............

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/22/10 01:58 PM

Edmonds for the boy this morning. Nice 14 pounder at 5:30. Tide had all the bait pushed up on shore. Brent got a little seasick so we quit early. Some crab too finally!
Brent is getting to be a pretty darned good fisherman. He did this one from start to finish including working the downrigger.

Posted by: OceanSun

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/22/10 10:07 PM

Nice Job Brent!! Good goin' Dave

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/22/10 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: IrishRogue
LCW,

Sky-Guy's Arima is a 16SC. I have the fat-boy 22SL.

B

sorry, i thought you were a package deal... wink

that is a very nice boat, brian. my daughter and I passed by you last summer, the day after you nailed that toad. i got a good look at her, she's real purty.......

willy

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/22/10 10:39 PM

4500 observations 120 posts. Wow!

Went out last night with a tiny fleet. Hit Jeff head with about 10-12 others, no nets flying, checked out West Pt. three boats, nothing, Meadow pt, nada. Back to dock. Possession poeple, limits. My guess is that most of these fishies are still up north unless you can hit the up the morning fleet. Nice night warm and calm.

Does anyone have an idea where the Lk Washington fish cross over and head up the eastside of the drink?

Tight Lines.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 12:22 AM

30 rod hours, 1 chance today.... and if you only get one chance... a 25# hatchery buck keeps you smiling all day despite the slow fishing.

This is the nicest hatchery chinook to grace my boat in 3-4 years. Hell of a fish Gunnar! and nice fishing with you today Josiah.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 12:27 AM

Very Nice thumbs

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 12:35 AM

Congrats ! !
Is it just me or does that look very photo shopped (not saying it is, just looks weird to me)? ? Maybe its just jealosy.. . ..
Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 12:36 AM

Very, very nice!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 12:45 AM

Bryon- I added a little fill light and cropped it, plus it's compressed a ton from it's original size....maybe that's what looks funny to you.

Fish came on an Ace-Hi 120 down , somewhere north of PnP. We fished Useless bay all morning before heading over to the west side right before the tide change. Tons of bait in useless, and sharks, no biters milling around.
We fished away from the crowds the whole day (more boats at PnP than I have ever seen) and from the radio chatter it seemed slow for most which matches our day.

Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 01:23 AM

left the dock at 330am saturday, back1:30pm. two takedowns in the first 30 min of fishing then nothing... coached little leaguers until 6(lost twice), then back on the water from 6-dark. around 930 i finally got a fish to pop the clip. 45' on a green hootchie...
today i coached from 8-10(lost once), left the dock at 12, back at 4. 7 fer 11... atleast we were able to do something right today.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 10:26 AM

Ryley that is an awesome photo. Skilled photography and editing is a talent and youve got it dialed. The quarry is more than worthy of it in this case.

I need to learn some of that stuff

D3 I look forward to reading your posts when I see youve posted lately. Good story telling man, entertainment abound.
Posted by: JDarr

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 12:03 PM

Thanks for the invite Bro.... Awesome fish Gunnar. Looks like we know what picture was the one really really good one we were all talking about.

JD
Posted by: SKYSTEELHEAD

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 12:17 PM

WTG Brent! thumbs
Awesome job, Seastrike! Congrats! thumbs

WTG Ryley! thumbs
wow... just a perfect summer P.S. nookie!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 12:26 PM

We ended up going 0-1, losing what looked like a teener near the boat. Never got a good enough look at it to see if it had that extra special fin, so I've just been assuming that it did. Fish came on a 6" Tomic plug right at tide change. Serious heartbreak when we lost it. Also went 4 for 4 on dogfish and a flounder.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 01:05 PM

KILLER fish Gunnar & Ryley!

My 2c on the "photoshopped" feel, which I understand, is the foreshortening caused by the wide-angle lens used in that picture. It's a terrific lens so it doesn't feel super fish-eye, but IMO that's the #1 reason for the feeling you get Brian.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 02:09 PM

Ya, like I said, I wasn't saying it was, (I got the report early), just looked off to my eye and wondered why, now I know.

Great fish. Back out later in the week to try to get mine.
Posted by: bigling35

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 02:34 PM

BigLing BigLing, whatcha gonna do... whatcha gonna do when when I ling for you!!!

Decided to go out again tonight... I'll put up pics tomorrow of the monsters i'll be throwing in the boat. Below is my report from the weekend!

Hope you all put some fish in the boat and meat in the fridge this weekend. BigLing was back in action putting mighty kings in the boat like Tiger puts X's in his black book.

So here is the deal as promised I delivered, but not with any monsters...

Friday Night: 7pm to 9pm

Fished Area 9 hard for two hours Friday night. Went one for two. The tides we less than spectacular, trying to fish the bait trapped in a massive rip, but it was not the best of times (nor was it the worst of times) I have had this past week. The keeper was average for the area, 14lbs. It was clear the bite had slowed; dropping from six hits on Tuesday to only two... One in the boat called it a night and went home to get ready for Saturday.

Saturday Morning: 5am to 9:30am

Hit the water early on Saturday... Moving to North Area 10. The morning started off slow with no hits until 6:45 a little later than normal. First hit landed a 16.5 lber, but the high fin earner him freedom. Second real release came at 8:15 resulting in a 11lb keeper. Not seeing any other nets, but only about five boats around. Circling back yielded three more keepers, 9lber, another 11lber, and the big fish 13lbs. Fish were on the smaller side and bite still seemed slow until later. My buddy and I were happy to be limited by and off the water by 10:30am. Much hotter action than previous evening at our spot in Area 9. We decided to try again at Point NP on Sunday and roll the dice in Area 9.

Sunday Morning: 5am to 8am

Bull$hit, Bull$hit, Bull$hit !!! Started at P'NP at 5am not a single hit. Moved at 6:30 and at 7:30 got hooked on a really nice hog. Unfortunately threw the hook and that was that. Ran one more pass fishing hard with 70' and 90' covered, but no second chance. Saw two nets come out and probably could have kept trying and switch over setups. In the name of mental sanity we called it at 8am and headed home empty handed.

Summary: Bite has cooled in Area 9 (see thread title from when I posted days ago). All seems slow in general likely due to the moon phase (tides for you home gammers) and misalignment with twilights. Area 10 a little more productive, but few quality fish. Going to move to some fall back spots later this week, but fishing will remain so-so through mid week at the least. Hope some one got the big one...

Fish on,

BigLing (the myth man, the ledend, the linger)

When you were young
and you fished a barbed hook
You used to say live and let live
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
But if this ever changin sea
in which we ling in
Makes you give in and cry
Say ling and let die
Ling and let die

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 02:41 PM

Midget sh!t. . . cut and paste a report to another thread and still no pics to back up the tale. . .. . . . .. . . . .

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 02:52 PM

I wanna see pics of D3's 7 for 11 in the middle of the day myself. thumbs

Ohh... KK got a small one at the tide change with me at President's. It was pretty rough Saturday afternoon... especially for a sled. It looked like the wind was going to lay down at around 7 pm... but then it kicked right back up again.

We also snagged a dogfish in the tail with a hoochie... which is a first for me.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 04:08 PM

BigLing BigLing, whatcha gonna do... whatcha gonna do when when I ling for you!!!

Pictures are on their way... in the mean time please remain calm, however, it is clear the anticipation my be getting to some of you.

Hope the reports help. Going out tonight need to break in my new medium action loomis!

Fish on,

BigLing (the myth man, the ledend, the linger)

When you were young
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
in which we ling in
Say ling and let die
Ling and let die

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 04:14 PM

Can't wait to see the ledendary pics.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: BenWA

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 04:17 PM

Haven't been reading the board much of late.. however... wtf??

"BigLing was back in action putting mighty kings in the boat like Tiger puts X's in his black book."

Is Big stick back?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 04:30 PM

I thought it was the swede but this guys grammar is much too good.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 06:29 PM

'Ling is neither Stick or that dweebus Swede. That you can be sure of...
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 08:27 PM

My friend Luke with the damage.
Posted by: TrollKing

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 08:33 PM

nice fatties there Dave! Way to put the hammer to them.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 09:12 PM

Awesome! You are definitely doin' better than most!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 09:37 PM

Nice LIneup Dave, you found all of them in one spot yesterday wink
Posted by: FASTWATER

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/26/10 10:40 PM

It looked good in there this weekend but could only scratch one fish Saturday there D3S way to thump them Bro!!!PEACE

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 01:16 AM

Those are some nice ones. Luke is a freak giant. You needed me to make those fish look big.....
Posted by: SciGuy

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 08:29 AM

Those are some nice ones. Luke is a freak giant. You needed me to make those fish look big.....

You beat me to it!

Nice job, Dave.
Posted by: tonyg2929

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 11:56 AM

Fished meadow yesterday the only action if the day was exciting. I get a huge take down set the hook fish on feels big! line goes a little slack then line starts to peel and the fish got really big. 10 seconds later I see a big seal holding my fish we charge at it with the boat he lets it go I the net the fish to find it to be about a 30 pound nate. as i am taking the hook out of it. the seal is circling under the net. I had to release it only to see it swim 10 feet before the seal crushed it. Real exciting and the only action of the day.
Posted by: fish-hunter

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 02:40 PM

Fished the West Bar the last couple of nights with nothing to show. Did have a nice one on last night, leader failure led to no fish in the boat. Will be out there again tonight.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 03:29 PM

Bummer on the seal snack tonyg2929. Killer catching a 30lb nate though. It's been a few years since we've caught one that big.
I want to drift the Sky this afternoon.....anybody up for that?
Posted by: Redside

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 03:59 PM

Fished A9 yesterday and today.

Landed two yesterday afternoon/early evening with one going in the cooler and one wild. Found bait and found the fish.

Fished this morning from daybreak to 10AM. One fish in first 30 seconds in a HUGE pile of bait. Seal grabbed it. Stayed on top of him and he finally let go. Wild fish that was just exhausted while the seal sat 30 feet away. Nursed fish back to its lively self and let it go. Hopefully it had enough energy to elude the frickin' seal. Bite slowed. Ran to PNP with the jig/mooch train for the outgoing tide. My buddy hooked one and that was the only fish we saw on. Heard of fish caught there in the morning.

*CLARIFICATION...Is it legal to hit seals with wrist rockets/slingshots?????

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Redside

*CLARIFICATION...Is it legal to hit seals with wrist rockets/slingshots?????

http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/deter/Dets_Fisher.htm

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 05:24 PM

Hatch good to hear from you...
still looking for somebody to drift the Sky with this afternoon....

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 05:27 PM

if i wasnt driving to bham to look at a motor dave id go.....
Posted by: floatinghat

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/27/10 09:43 PM

Now that is time well spent!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/31/10 09:20 AM

I need some reports, I'm finally making it back up to the island in a couple weeks and need something to look forward to.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/31/10 01:09 PM

Fish are being caught, might have first hand report tonight. .

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/31/10 01:25 PM

good luck out there bummbed i couldnt make it .

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/31/10 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: One Way
I need some reports, I'm finally making it back up to the island in a couple weeks and need something to look forward to.

I can't say what is happening in area 9, area 10 is starting to pick up. I have been fishing Richmond Beach the past few days. Thursday was one for two , the one a wild fish. Yesterday was two for four with both fish keepers, and today was one for two, another wild fish. The weather is the main constraint. Yesterday was fog with about 1/4 mile visibility for most of the morning and today 15 knot winds from the south made fishing difficult. We saw some nice kings caught though both yesterday and today.

Unlike other threads about how hot area 10 is I will include pictures. I also like this thread to post reports because it is a good chronological indicator of how this summers fishery is developing.

I do occasionally catch a fish, not always the biggest -11#.

Kate was pleased with this 15# after losing a hot fish after a battle of a couple minutes.

Posted by: LoweDown

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/31/10 04:17 PM

Nicely done.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/31/10 05:04 PM

+1 Nice fish there. We trolled around Jeff for two hours last night while soaking pots, didn't see much happening. No bumps for us or nets drawn. Lots of bait and fish marked on the south end.
Fishing tomorrow AM, Likely up north of PnP then work our way back to Shilshole.

Originally Posted By: WN1A

Unlike other threads about how hot area 10 is I will include pictures. I also like this thread to post reports because it is a good chronological indicator of how this summers fishery is developing.

I agree. I like seeing all the reports centralized, not only for keeping current now, but next year I'll pull this thread or like threads from the past & check out what happened.
Posted by: RognSue

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/31/10 07:47 PM

Sue n I jumped on w/ a buddy this morning, started west side of 10, finished east side of 9 at noon. We were 6/8 w/ 2 of the 6 wild all the fish were 9-10lb...Except...Sue lost a large(20+/-) 4ft from the net...
And...I managed to put this one in the box (sorry crappy cell pic)

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/31/10 08:00 PM

If the wind and chop isn't too bad, Richmond Beach to Edmonds might be a good bet. We saw some nice fish at the ramp from Edmonds. There is a massive amount of bait from Meadow Point north. There seems to be a consistent bite from sunup until a couple hours after the tide change at Richmond beach. There are patches of weeds and kelp floating right where the fish are so it is a bit of a challenge, fishing both in the fog and in the chop, because you can't see them until you are in the patches.

I have a feeling that some of the missing Elliot Bay fish may be hanging around to the north, taking advantage of the abundant food. It seems that everybody we talked to are catching about as many unmarked fish as marked. The next few weeks should be interesting.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 07/31/10 09:02 PM

hit area 9 this morning, no fog but plenty of wind chop. finally hooked up on the outer bar around tide change, nice hatchery buck. Saw a couple of nets out but not hot by any stretch.

sorry about the crappy pic, but you get the idea.

A big thanks to EYEFISH! Tried out his method of filleting a salmon and it is sweet! Thanks for the pics and info Doc! I am not the greatest with a filet knife, but using his method I got some great hunks of fish and very little waste. here is a link to the post with pics on how to do it.
http://ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=51868

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/01/10 02:20 AM

Just in from fishing W side of Possession. ... . slow, unless you like dogfish, we foul hooked 4 of them tonight, not fun to bring in sideways.. Saw one fish caught, talked to a few who had fish on board. Beautious sunset.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/01/10 11:43 AM

We had different results at Possession yesterday. We started off on the west side and switched to the east side with the tide. I can't say it was off the hook, although we did have one or two doubles. We hooked kings steadily all day long from 430 AM to around 2pm. Turned back several, lost one to a sea lion, had one fish peel line until the line parted about 120 feet above the flasher (if you see a big king pulling around a green flasher and green splatter back spoon, can I have my stuff back?). Ended up with limits. Bait was deep and so were the fish.
Neal

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/01/10 04:09 PM

Fished Skunk Bay with Rico and Tim yesterday. 2 brats in the boat and 1 nate released.

Possession looked rough yesterday. Bet that was fun,

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/01/10 04:15 PM

We fished the evening, wish I would have been able to make it out for the morning. .. .

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/01/10 04:54 PM

Been having a great time out there.
Getting a chance or two, or three or more everyday.
Lost a hot one at Apple Tree Point and another at West Point thursday.
Went 2 for 3 on the bar Friday, releasing one Native.
3 for 5 tries yesterday hanging around the west side of the bar.
I know there were more chances than that, but my brain is getting a little mushy from fishing so much.
Crabbing is good. I think I have 44 marked on my card.

The Sea Kitten puked.
50 Merc won't go with a load. Idles fine, will go at trolling speed, but dies if any more pressure than idle.
Going to change the plugs.
Change external fuel/h20 seperator (again)
Internal fuel filter
Rebuild fuel pump???
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated
Recommend a mechanic?
Posted by: Rotten Chum

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/01/10 07:21 PM

Got into 3 today and landed 2...one being released and the other in the box...Jody was angry with my boat floor as he knocked it out too along with the fish...great day to be alive...thanks Jody for yet another enjoyable day...

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/01/10 07:22 PM

and yet again...Jody is the youngest old man I know...his fishy smile is that of an 8 year old...I love it.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/01/10 11:55 PM

For Jody its all that pure and clean living... nice fishes boys.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/01/10 11:59 PM

what the hell John, you save the best fishing for when I am not in the boat.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 02:47 AM

GutZ:

Had that effect after voltage regulator failed and caused the stator to fuse to the pan. Net result was that there was no spark advance when I throttled up.

Was cracking crab on the beach (for hours) yesterday morning and watched a rod pop off a downrigger as they trolled by on the east side of Whidbey. Netted a 12-15# after at least three nice jumps. Teased again!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 03:02 PM

East side of Whidbey?? Isn't that area 8-2, as in closed for Chinook?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 03:53 PM

Area 8-2 opened Sunday, 1 August, although there were some folks who drifted north out of Area 9 on Saturday.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 03:55 PM

Fished Jeff Head this morning. Lots of bait at tide change, created a slick of bait, great deal of birds, a sea lion and no fish. Heard Charters got one via radio on the south tip of JH. Sounded slow across the board. Hopefully someone has proof that I just didn't know what I was doing. Checked Presidents but it was covered in grass. Fished 45,65,85, 100 on the rigger in 90-150 ft of water. Fished killers, ace hi, army truck spoons but never saw a net fly on my boat or any others. Headed to Meadow fished a while, WDFW research had hit three shallow, must have been early morning. Marked suspended fish as I left at 110 in 120 off green can but was burned out. Checker chick at noon had 7 fish for 21 boats most from the eastside of area 10 and north toward oil cans. Enlighten me folks what did I do wrong. Just got back from Canada, we had that placed dialed in in one day. Makes washington look like a joke.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 03:58 PM

Yeah, it opened, Coho only. I highly doubt there are any Coho that big in there yet. . . . . ..

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 04:06 PM

Just checked the regs and it is coho only. Thanks for making me look before I get out on the water. Guess that guy may have dodged a big ticket as LE has been in the area; that is, if it was a chinook (probable).

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 04:07 PM

I fished Westport out of a buddies boat this weekend. Same deal as the Canadian observation. Lot's of action. Hard work but a boat load of fun.
Will get back into 9/10 tomorrow or the next day.
What would Big Ling do?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 04:24 PM

Speaking of coho, has anyone else noticed the lack of them in both the sound and straits so far this year?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 04:44 PM

I havent sniffed a coho, and only caught my first shaker of the year last week, a blackmouth of about 15 inches. It's very odd that the sound is so devoid of shakers this time of year....

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 05:25 PM

BigLing says, "Only crazy people fish Coho when the Kings are still here!"

Going out tonight for the evening bite. Hope to see you all on the water... Fish for Coho in another month, first things first KS!

BigLing

When you were young
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
in which we ling in
Say ling and let die
Ling and let die

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 06:09 PM

The creel counts have started to show some coho... Nearly 10% of the fish checked in the last couple days by my estimate.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 06:29 PM

There are a few showing up. It seems this year there aren't many resident coho in MA's 9 & 10. At least not compared to what I've seen in the early part of the season in years past.
Hopefully they are off somewhere getting bigger before hitting the sound.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 06:34 PM

Hey, LittleDingaLing...do us all a favor and tell us how great you are, how you're going to go kill 'em and post up 100 pics...and then don't.

Thanks!

Fish on...

Todd

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 07:47 PM

BigLing BigLing, whatcha gonna do... whatcha gonna do when I ling for you!!!

BigLing sheds a tear… he realizes that he has not put up pictures per pervious posts. No excuses just when I fish. I fish! No need for pictures to remember my monster hogs, because if I want to see one I just head out on the water and put them in the boat time and time again.

Todd, I appreciate your calling me out it is an inspiration for me to fish harder, but not only that. It is an inspiration for me to remember to take pictures of the mammoth Kings BigLing slays every time he has been on the water in the last few weeks. I guess some times when you fish as hard as BigLing photographs slip your mind as the animal instincts take over hunting and slaying giant fish after fish.

With all that said BigLing is on a mission tonight. A mission to get some BigLing photos of all the Kings that will be slayed tonight… I will dedicate tonight's evening bite to Todd. An inspiration, a great man, and an even greater fisherman! Oh hell I am even going to throw together a BigLing t-shirt, maybe I'll autograph it after and give it to the highest bidder. banana

Fish on,
BigLing (the one and only self certified supreme master fisherman)

When you were young
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
But if this ever changing sea
in which we ling in
Say ling and let die
Ling and let die

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 08:09 PM

Your a legend in your own mind Bigling !!!PEACE

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 08:42 PM

Wouldn't that be Ledend??? asshat

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 09:33 PM

I just figured out who bigling is.... I aint telling though! If I'm right, it's pretty damn hilarious....

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 09:55 PM

I just figured out who bigling is.... I aint telling though! If I'm right, it's pretty damn hilarious....

Do tell...as usual, I bet the truth is stranger than fiction!

Fish on...

Todd

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/03/10 10:23 PM

He's the coolest guy he knows.

On a fishing related topic, fished the SW corner of Posession this afternoon with my brother-in-law and nephew and we each bonked a hatchery fish. 10, 13 & 16 lbs, all on plugs and deep, 190'. All fish caught between 2-4 this afternoon.

Pic on my phone so go ahead and flame away for not posting it.
Posted by: ROCKFISH

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 12:01 AM

I hit a nice coho today fishing for kings of about 8 lbs with a downrigger.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Kramer

Pic on my phone so go ahead and flame away for not posting it.

We'd flame you...'cept, we believe you smile

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: cfish

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 12:28 AM

My brother got a resident coho Saturday night off Jeff Head, about 4lbs. Tough weekend for catching, five caught for our group of 19 guys Saturday and Sunday, 3 at Pilot, 2 off of Jeff Head.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 01:27 AM

BigLing is true to his word. Todd you are still my inspiration!!! I made it a point to take a few pics this evening and here they are... not bad for 120 minutes on the water. Hope I linked them up right...

So the only question is why are people even talking about coho when these things are everywhere???

Fish on,

When you were young
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
in which we ling in
Say ling and let die
Ling and let die
Posted by: Driftfishnw

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 01:30 AM

I kinda feel sorry for those fish...

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 01:43 AM

I'll be better in the future on documenting the adventures of BigLing, but figuring out how to get them linked was half the battle. Well I wish you all luck... time to clean the bounty.

P.S. F' the seals... lost the third fish at the boat. Usually you see the seals, but this one was smarter stayed down and took it after the fish was on its second run. Should have just went hard over on the drag and took some chances.

Fish on,

When you were young
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
in which we ling in
Say ling and let die
Ling and let die
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
Gotta give props for backing up all the talk.

Absolutely.

Full props, BigLing. Keep it up!
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 12:12 PM

Mad props for the home-decorated t-shirt with text matching the color of his signature song in his posts.

Nice fish too.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 12:41 PM

Nice fishies, and shirt rofl

Keep it coming, it's been pretty slow here lately!

Fish on...

Todd

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 03:06 PM

No kidding. Nice fishies there linger.

I always like some that can refer to themselves in the third person and get away with it. "George likes his chicken spicy!"

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 04:29 PM

Hello! Coming up from Maple Valley (Southend guy Redondo and Three Tree Pt area) and would like to know where to launch for fishing Possession. I have my dad and brother coming in from Montana today and want to take them out to try and get a king. There doesn't seem to be much happening on the south end...any advice from the pro's would be great! I am going to trailer north and would like to know if I should go out at Elliot Bay or Shilshole or Edmonds??? I have a 18.6 North River with Yamaha 115. Thanks!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 04:34 PM

Edmonds. Its a sling but it works. Next best bet would probably be Mukilteo.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 04:38 PM

ok cool...do you know what it is called? I can look it up and get directions. Never launched from a sling before. Thank you for your advice.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 04:45 PM

Thanks for the kind replies and I appreciate the compliments on the BigLing custom t-shirt. It does make the posts a little more interesting when you can post some pictures... So from here on out BigLing will do his best to document his fishing extravaganzas!

So the bite was on again last night. It seems the bigger fish have moved in because the average has been around 15 to 18lbs over the past week up from the 12 to 14lbs average opening week. BigLing will be taking tonight off and with any luck I'll be back out on the water Friday. It would be appreciated if someone would take care of the seal epidemic by then.

Also anyone know CD (Captain Downriggin for all you home gammers)???

Fish on,

When you were young
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
in which we ling in
Say ling and let die
Ling and let die

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 04:53 PM

Hey Bigling...I was planning on using green glow flashers with a green spatterback ace hi fly 27 inches back...but since you have had such great success lately could you tell me what to use? I would love to put my 71 yr old dad from MT into a nice fat king tomorrow or Friday. Thanks!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: FishnDon
Hey Bigling...I was planning on using green glow flashers with a green spatterback ace hi fly 27 inches back...but since you have had such great success lately could you tell me what to use? I would love to put my 71 yr old dad from MT into a nice fat king tomorrow or Friday. Thanks!

Nothing to worry about any more BigLing is here to put you on the fish! Sounds like you are planning on hitting the bar so here is what you should do. Run both your lines with your green glow flashers (can't go wrong there), but then run two different set ups… Throw an Atomic on one and run it deep and then on your other set up start with your ace hi fly, but if it doesn't produce start switching it up (your choice).

Depending on the tides you are going to have to locate the bait, but you do that and you will find the fish. Just remember FISH HARD… If your not putting them in the boat and you don't do anything different don't expect different results.
When the bite picks up FISH HARDER. BigLing can't give away all his secrets, but hope that helps.

banana banana banana

Fish on,

When you were young
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
you know you Ling
in which we ling in
Say ling and let die
Ling and let die
Posted by: Double Haul

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/04/10 07:46 PM

or if skill allows, you could mooch a herring grin

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 08:57 AM

Thank you for the great tips. I am going to be out there tomorrow morning and will give an update when I get back. Hopefully some pictures!
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: FishnDon
ok cool...do you know what it is called? I can look it up and get directions. Never launched from a sling before. Thank you for your advice.

Save yourself a bunch of grief by launching at Shilshole in Seattle. Take you about ten more minutes to run up north in the boat vs. 40 minutes to an hour of sitting in traffic between Seattle and Edmonds. That and the Edmonds sling doesn't open until around 6ish by which time you should be limited and back on shore ordering pancakes smile
Posted by: uglybugger

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 04:20 PM

Shilshole +1
The Line at Edmonds for the last few days is a twenty min wait. Mukeltio launch sucks......
Shilshole is your best bet
Posted by: Captain Q

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 05:16 PM

Hit this fish on the east side of MA10 today. He weighed 22 lbs. and took a glow squid run 23" off a white/glow hot spot flasher. 90' of cable in 125' of water. Sorry for the photo quality as Dad is not the best with a camera, but you get the idea.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 05:46 PM

delicate hands

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 05:56 PM

Nice one Captain! I've heard from a couple people that things heated up in the straits the last week, so I think there is a fresh push of chrome headed our way.
Of course, those fish wont be here by Sunday, so don't try to launch at Shilshole at 4:00am Sunday morning.

wink

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 09:07 PM

Ok guys you all know how selfish I can be but here's a tip! put your downriggers away and start mooching again, I'm not even going to tell you how many fish we been catching daily but it is a bait year with all the herring in Puget Sound and it is awesome, and my riggers been staying at home for 2 weeks, no need to go to Westport is all I am going to say, Ryley I will PM you some info tomorrow night!!!PEACE

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 10:44 PM

The bait I saw out at Jeff head on Tuesday morning was amazing. The rip that formed balled up the herring but could not find fish never saw a net fly. Bait was all over on the surface. Talked with a woman I work with who lives by agate pass and said she watched some guy try and boat a big fish but he lost it. Traggic.

FASTWATER I will be out there tomorrow evening would love to find a good mooching spot and leave the riggers and quiet the kicker not sure where to go. PM me if you are okay with that. If not see you out there will be in a little glasply with etec. Thanks.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 11:46 PM

Been getting into a few every trip...here's some photos from yesterday...a little mixed bag including a seal (not pictured)...had two consecutive days with seals grabbing our fish...

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/05/10 11:54 PM

The moochers did real good at the oil docks this AM. I gave it a shot during prime time, came away with 5 dog fish and several leaders came up without hooks. The trollers did good too, small boaters who could work their way through the crowd. I saw several chinook landed by moochers and know a few trollers that did real well. I lost one nice fish, the usual Ace High and green Hotspot at 120 feet. Yesterday one 12# at the same place and one lost. The show is on, now is the time to be out there, east side of 10. Captain Q's post was nice, must have been one I lost.
Posted by: lovetofish365

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/06/10 10:21 AM

sweeeeet....we have been in seiku most of the season...but got to Kingston yesterday...we wanted to crab or we would have gone to Mid Channel...crabbing was pretty good...pulled up one pot that had 14 in it but a few females and a ton just undersize...good enough for tribes/comercials but not good enough for us...just under...granted we didnt fish early morn started round 10...we only saw one blackmouth...jeff head was dead..appletree had more action on the screen, should have gone up to Pt no Pt..but we didnt have a lot of time...my nephew was supposed to go with...but he decided he wanted to ride his dirt bike instead...kids and motorcycles...hahahha

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/06/10 01:53 PM

Glad to see your back Ltf, I'm sure I'll see ya out there soon. The crabbing has been consistent but not outstanding and lots of females, had one pot with 23, all females, had to go deeper to get away from them. The fishing in west 10 seems to be picking up a bit also, not red hot but managed to pick up a fish a night the last two nights and one the other day, all hens, stuffed with herring and nice tight little eggs.
Posted by: Salmo_Gairdneri

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/06/10 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Rotten Chum
Been getting into a few every trip...here's some photos from yesterday...a little mixed bag including a seal (not pictured)...had two consecutive days with seals grabbing our fish...

Nice to see folks getting fish.

Was it difficult to get your captains license John? I've always been curious about that.

-S
Posted by: gilly

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/06/10 09:37 PM

Or a state salmon charter license wink just curious about that.

Matt

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/06/10 10:07 PM

I don't believe he is guiding out there. Everyone I have seen out with him have been friends of his. . .. .
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/06/10 10:21 PM

Hey John.....ya want to lease a license?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/06/10 10:41 PM

Big Daddy...email me with some numbers...yeah I don't have the salmon charter...you guys are forgetting I am a teacher...OK wait...a PE teacher...last time I heard the going rate for one of them is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000...The six pack was not too difficult but surely a huge pain in the ass and a thousand bucks...we went 3 for 4 today with a pictureless heartbreaker...handed the rod off to my father in law...it felt like a strong fish...but nothing too big...he literally touches the rod and it goes on a "seal run" burning almost all of the line off the reel in about 20 seconds...I start the big motor and start chasing it...the flasher was dancing on the surface and headed right towards Captain Q's boat...Captain Q can pipe in with what he thought...we gained control and I tailed the 22 to 25lbish native a while later...and let him go without a netmark...tons of fun...

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/06/10 11:25 PM

sweeeeeeeeet Hatch smile....i had serious shoulder surgery five months ago...so ive been trying not to throw salt in the wounds by looking on here too much...i am now able to fish in the salt but cant cast yet...prob wont be able to for a few more months frown but im glad i can fish a little again...i was dying!! and i think gettin on my hubbys nerves...hahahaha

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/07/10 11:47 AM

Just finished up a pretty decent week for our boat on what should have been the peak of the run for MA10. Started off with average cookie cutter kings at the beginning and ended with less quantity but but nice sized fish. Been running the flasher/squid/ace combo all week with the glow and the green getting bit equally. Fishing shallow early, 40'-60', then dropping down to 90'-130' as the sun comes up.

Friday started off with high hopes and lots of boats. The South wind made it slightly uncomfortable but considering the Summer we've been having, par for the course. It was nice to see all the regulars out there including world famous "Fish Master" Parker ho'ing yet another ride from good guy Tom. I think Parker was sleeping most of the time we saw him, good thing Tom was at the helm! Not sure if he reeled in any flounder this trip, but if they were biting the "flounder pounder" would hook 'em. grin

After a while hopes had diminished when the early bite failed to materialize. John(Rotten Chum) was getting antsy, ready to move to a new location. I told him we were going to make a few more passes and see what happens as I knew there were fish around, but the weather change must have put them off the bite. Persistence has been the key, especially this season. A few minitues later I see John hooked up right in front of us. Holy crap, hot fish! I see the fish's back out of the water trailing the flasher screaming out on top of the water heading right for us. Evasive manuver deployed and the fish was free to do its thing. That was one of the few fish we saw caught.

Talked to a few peeps on the cell and it was slow everywhere. Decided to troll away from the crowd and cover some ground. Meanwhile Parker is back at the launch and reports only three fish checked in so far, not good. Our extended troll produced a lone Chinook jack and that was it. Dad asks me if I'm ready to quit and I say yeah it's about that time as I was going to take my son down to the lake to witness the awesome Blue Angels. Well guess what happened.....

RELEASE!!!!!!!!!

I grab the pole and set the hooks home. Give the rod to Dad and say take him it's yours. The result:

20 pounds and a nice way to end the week.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/07/10 12:56 PM

Should have threatened to go in alot earlier Captain.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/07/10 05:17 PM

sweeeeeeet

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/07/10 05:28 PM

just got home my brother and I fished and went 3 for 5 ( the 2 we missed broke off ) . Same depth patterns as captain Q. Our neighbor showed up at 9:00 hit his 2 fish in about 20 min and went back to the ramp.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/07/10 06:30 PM

Gentleman in what depths of water have you had success of late?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/08/10 07:51 PM

Shilshole had 15 fish for 35 boats as of 1:30. Keith, Marcel, and I added three on a cold morning that felt more like October than August. Saw a couple big fish at the dock from area 9.
Cohobankie, Todays fish all came from 100-130ft of wire.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/08/10 08:26 PM

I decided to do a last-minute trip yesterday afternoon for the 6 pm tide change. Because of the wind and rain, I launched at the Edmonds sling (WOW is that expensive now!) at about 2 pm. On the first pass in front of where the old oil dock used to be... I got a 5 pounder that was either a blackmouth or a jack that I released. Put the gear back down and got its twin about 2 minutes later and let this one go too. Made another loop and got a 17# or so wild buck that I also released.

I was thinkin' this is pretty good fishing for such a sh!tty afternoon. Made a few more passes and decided to hit the Richmond beach oil docks, where I got a 16# clipped hen 5 minutes after I put the gear down. 20 minutes later I hit another 12# for my limit. 5 for 5 in 4 hours is the best trip I've had this season out there so far.

All fish came at 85' of wire in different depths. There were a ton of fish on the screen from 50' to the bottom at 140' in front of the old oil dock. Green Hotspot and a candlefish hoochie w/twinkle skirt on a short leader trolled pretty fast did the trick.

I saw Chuck S out there as I was wrapping things up.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/08/10 08:39 PM

Nice work 4 salt, that was the bite we were expecting today but just didnt ever take off. We worked hard for the bites and made em count, thanks again Riley for a solid day of fishing.

Off to the mountains of Idaho for a few weeks in search of big troots on light gear, tight lines to all during the rest of the king push this summer...cheers.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/08/10 10:21 PM

Good god gentlemen nice work. Never saw a net fly at shilshole today, piss poor report from the checker chick guess they were all up north. My boat seems to have bad ju-ju in the sound. Worked the 100-200ft depths at the morning tide change, clip at 90-105 and nothing. Green and green the usual.

Thank's sky guy for the input but I think I am done for the season unless I hear of some banner reports.

What am I doing wrong here. You wizards have it dialed, please send me pm and help a guy out. What depth were you in at the oil docks? Tried that on Friday in the 120-180 depths at 100 and 60 on the clip from the south tip of the docks to the shallows but nothing. It was a nice night and we did catch a buzz but no fish. Still have CQ in Sept for the annual trip. Nice reports and strong work.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/08/10 10:44 PM

My success yesterday wasn't so much a case of having it dialed coho... as was just getting lucky.

Fishing the tide change and circling areas where I was marking fish helped too. This was my first trip fishing the east side this year. I had been fishing Jeff Head and Possession. I know that the Issaquah creek fish migrate down the east side in early August usually... and the weather was too sh!tty for me to fish anywhere else yesterday. I was fishing in 110' to 150' with 85' of wire out at both places.

I seriously doubt that I could go out and repeat it tomorrow... but you never know unless you try, I suppose?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/08/10 11:21 PM

Ha! Chuck you are right and I know that, just frustrated thanks for the reminder or why we spend the time and money we do..

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/09/10 10:38 PM

Went out this morning, really slow at the oil cans. 2 shakers thats it. Pulled rope for 7 hours. Did not see anyone else with nets flying.
Posted by: GreenRiver

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/10/10 07:02 PM

A little late. Early last Friday morning. Shilshole launch; Never been there, but read too many times it's not busy; Looked downstream to see lots of boats; Looks like I'm going there; Good choice; One rod and one limit by 9 am.
Posted by: escapee

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/10/10 09:22 PM

fished 1 rod at posession today, 1 for 2, keeper at 20# , lots of fish caught, lots of bait. seen fish caught on all the regular rigs, flasher/spoon/hootchie, plugs and the moochers

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/12/10 12:22 PM

Time for my weekly update. I have 12 more days to wait before I get there. There must be someone who has been fishing. Where is Big Ling when I need him?

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/12/10 10:09 PM

I have been out the last three days. I must have offended the fish gods though , it has been 0 for 2,3 all days. Fishing is good though, fog the last two mornings, but a lot of fish have been caught. The Shilshole ramp check today was the best of the year. 45 chinook and a handful of silvers for 60 boats at 2:00 PM. The east side of area 10 from north to south has been good. Tomorrow is not looking good, small craft advisory and probably the same Saturday. There should be chinnok around in 12 days and the silvers are coming, I saw a few jumpers today.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/12/10 11:01 PM

Thanks WN1A need something to look forward to things are brutal at work right now. Laying off 7 guys tomorrow. I need to get out of here.
Posted by: MAVsled

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/13/10 09:41 AM

fished thursday evening.
Restoration Point, moved to Whitman Point/Lincoln Park for the high tide. CnR'd 2 finners between Restoration and Blakely Rock.
Bonked a nice #12 king off Lincoln Park. All fish on white glo Hot spot & cookiesncream spoon.
saw a couple other fish landed off Whitman prior to high tide slack.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/14/10 10:40 PM

Quick outing this morning to North MA10 yielded one Washington 20 in the box.
To the A$$hole who decided to dump the crab out of my pot and throw the traps back with the door open, I salute you...

If you are gonna rip off my crab, at least re-set the pot right!
mad

At least the other trap had a limit in it...

Toad-ays fish....

Going north to MA9 tomorrow in search of more fish. It was slower in north ten today than it has been in past weeks.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/14/10 10:43 PM

Nice...we'll whup 'em up tomorrow.

I hope.

Fish on ...

Todd
Posted by: escapee

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/15/10 12:45 PM

at least you got your pot back. I had several stolen over the years now i only buy the cheap ones. ( and no, i didn't lose them to the current or deep water).

fished posession sat. all day, went 4 for 7. all keepers on ace-hi, biggest at 21 others at 12-15

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/15/10 03:34 PM

Scatchet Head right at the sunset tide change last night yeilded a 10 and a 20 both hatchery keepers. Lost another and donated a 4th to a sea lion. The checker that checked me at Everett launch only had 5 fish for 39 boats including our two. Ace Hi and Coho Killer did the job but both fish had good sized herring in them.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/15/10 05:43 PM

Visited the Ballard Locks this hot ass day and there were some nice kings milling around headed to their home. Big schools, these fish seem to be blowing by some of us.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/15/10 07:26 PM

A nice pile of them failed to blow by me and SkyGuy this morning smile

Fish on...

Todd

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/15/10 08:00 PM

Seems we saw a fair amount of fish out there today on the finder, and picked off four of them this am at Skunk Bay. Beautiful morning for the run up from Shilshole. Bonked three on our first pass, then picked up another around 11.
2 on Ace-Hi's and 2 on Silver Horde Kingfisher in White Lightning.
Ripley with his first of the day...

Here's Today's lineup with the new Silver Horde KatchCooler bag. New and improved with heavier materials, closed cell foam so it doesn't get saturated in ice, and heavy duty handles. Nice Job on the design and improvements Silver Horde!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/15/10 08:16 PM

nice looking fish there Sky guy and Todd

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/15/10 09:11 PM

Got the living crap beat out of us on Friday making the run from Shilshole to Ryley's Cove. wink Pretty much got DOUCHED and the wind shut down a hot bite in the Sound. frown

Hit the water a little closer to home in MA10 and went 2 for 4 on Saturday.

Figuring to hit the same place an hour earlier (ugh), put in some hours today to boat 1 fish. Bite seemed to slow down quite a bit.

Was way too rattled by Friday's boondoggle run to make it back up to Ryley's Cove....even though we knew it was holding fish.

Great weekend to be out on the water! Thanks Tom and Jr. for the trips and entertainment! thumbs

Next two weekends are booked, so this might have been one of my last King trips this year.

Not a bad year, if I had to say so. Those that put in the time, and paid a little attention, got fish.

PS: Should change Ryley's status to "Gear Ho". I'm surprised he doesn't have manufacturer patches sewn on his shirts! rofl

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/15/10 09:54 PM

2 fer 3 today 1 hatchery hen 12#, and 1 mid teens hi finer. Seemed slow by the cans today
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/16/10 12:38 PM

Bucket and Mrs. Bucket dragged me along yesterday morning, and we put 2 in the box at Appletree, we were gunnin for Possession but had to stop at Appletree due to the enormous bait balls! 10 and 12 lb
Posted by: starcraft tom

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/16/10 02:41 PM

where is Ryley's Cove ? I know all the other spots mentioned but dont know this one and cant find it on the charts.

Fished three time in the last two weeks and landed to 12lbs on PNP and one 25 wild released at possision in the shallows.

saturday we hit it for 6 hours with one driveby and nothing else. say 5 fish caught including a guy that cut behind me to make his turn and hook up with a double of nice fish right in my wake.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/16/10 02:55 PM

Parker,
Awesome cool!
Posted by: Dover Hurricane

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/17/10 05:13 PM

MA 10 - eastside, still some fish out there...

16 - 18#

60 ft of wire 100-150 ft of water

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/17/10 07:42 PM

Nice lineup there Dover. I heard of Ocean coho being taken from the same area today @ 90' down in 160FOW.
Posted by: Redside

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/17/10 07:49 PM

Nice kingers Dover. Decent bite on the westside of A10 this morning as well. We went 3 for 4 with two being 12 or so lb. The other a fat 7+lber.

These fish are just pushing through so a little luck is good trying to hit these travelling fish. I fished the same spot a couple evenings before and no one touched a fish.

Good times.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/22/10 12:58 AM

Another productive day out there today in the middle of MA9. Early bite, faded off after first light up to the mid-morning slack where we bonked the biggest fish of the day. 4 Chromey bucks came on a different lure each...caught on two different Silver Horde Spoons, Ace Hi Fly, and a purple haze hoochie.

Seem to plenty of fish around. Aside from slicing my finger open first thing on a DR wire, and later almost cutting Ripleys finger off when the cable popped out of the roller guide and we tried to fix it, a banner day.

Counts around 2pm at Shilshole before we added to the sum were 35 kings, 25 coho for 75 boats. Checker Chick said all ocean coho, with most coming from Jeff Head.

Go get 'em..

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/22/10 03:30 PM

Stopped by the launch down the street this morning about 10am and guy had a nice 20# Kinger from Jeff Head. Checker chicks hadn't seen many yet.

I lost one king early yesterday morning, time to start filing the hooks, but ended up with one dink Coho for the table.

Hooked up with the king with 65 out in 180ft, ace high, 40ft leader to the green echip flasher. Coho was at 80 in unknown depth (crappy fish finder) on 3" army truck coyote and same flasher. I was one of the lone boats fishing between Westpoint and Meadow pt.

There are many of you with greater knowledge but my guess is the rain should create the final push before season end. j

Whatever happened to Big Ling??????? Haven't seen any fish or reports from that guy.

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/22/10 10:27 PM

Real slow out there. wink

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/23/10 12:22 AM

maybe I will find an evening this week to get back out there

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/23/10 03:50 PM

Got up late and didn't stay out that long but picked up a 14 lb at Scatchet Head Sunday at the tide change. Say the moochers at PNP knockin' them dead most of the morning leading up to the tide change Lots of boats lots of fish on - like the good 'ol days

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/24/10 11:53 PM

Dad and I out in MA10 for some Chinook cleanup today. Found this guy mixed in with the kings. 17 pounds of platinum chrome hooknose. They're here!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/24/10 11:58 PM

Nicely done Capt Q!

Re: MA 9/10 Reports - 08/25/10 02:11 AM

Dandy early Coho Q!