Off topic...but not by much

Posted by: ParaLeaks

Off topic...but not by much - 11/11/10 04:22 PM

It's coming up time again to smoke turkeys. I've searched but haven't found the brining recipe. I smoked up turkey last year and it came out great without brine, so I don't even know if brining it would make it better, but since I'm smoking a 20 lber for the office, I thought I would try it out on them.

Help anyone?

Here was last year's bird.......

Posted by: r2fishn

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/11/10 04:36 PM

YUM
Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/11/10 05:01 PM

I am smoking my bird this T-Day. I am going to use an injector to flavor the turkey, instead of brine. The real purpose of brine or injecting is to keep the bird moist. Sounds like you have success with keeping the bird moist without brine.

I will also rub the bird down with a rub of some type. I was over at Cabelas sampling a number of rubs the other day.

Take a look at this web site: smokingmeatforums.com, it has lots of info.

Ditto on the YUM

Posted by: Sleddddder

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/11/10 06:22 PM

http://www.smoking-meat.com/
This site has a good brine recipe

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/11/10 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Sleddddder
http://www.smoking-meat.com/
This site has a good brine recipe

ooooo......I like this site. Even a place to get a newsletter on meat smoking. Looks good!
Posted by: jam session

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/11/10 07:26 PM

Here is my favorite. I've done this both TDay and Christmas for about the last 4 years in a bradley smoker.
Apple brined hickory smoked turkey

Posted by: r2fishn

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/11/10 08:42 PM

Enough already you guys Im starting to drool here.

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/11/10 08:53 PM

Printed it out.....sounds good.
Posted by: ONTHESAUK

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/11/10 09:06 PM

Can't lay my hands on it but some site read about brine for turkey just about a week ago. Less salt then normal, says it stays more moist.

We've been smoking them , in the Weber, for nearly 40 years. We got started a number of years in a foil pan and added chicken broth, just poured in in the pan. Get the smoke flavor but far more moist and tender then it use to.

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/13/10 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
Printed it out.....sounds good.

Hope you like it, my family sure did. I have a couple other suggestions based on my experience.

Directions say to brine in a 5 gallon bucket. That was not going in the fridge at my house! What I did instead is put the turkey in double garbage bags with the brine. By snugging up the bag you can make sure it is fully covered. I then put it in a cooler on my deck with some blue ice to keep things cold. Worked great (and kept peace in the kitchen)

Also if you are doing a 20lb turkey be careful of temperature management. I've read that turkey should not be between 40-140F for very long. The larger the bird the longer it takes to come up to temp especially if you use an unregulated temp type smoker. Most recommend no larger than 14lbs which is about what mine have been. I didn't try turkey until I got the Bradley (used to have a Chief) which allows you to regulate the temp independent of the smoke. Did you split your turkey before you smoked it last year? That probably solves the problem.

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/13/10 02:04 PM

Jam Session, the bird is soaking now....damn, that brine smells goooood!
If you notice from my old turkey picture, I cut the thighs/legs off the breast/back, so everything is open to heat circulation. The cavity is wide open and I smoke in an old fridge, which maintains temperature really well....better than the oven.
I am really looking forward to this.....excuse me while I wipe off my keyboard. smile
Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/13/10 02:10 PM

Before putting the turkey in the smoker do you need to rinse off the salty brine?

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/13/10 03:13 PM

Nope, I just pat dry per the directions in the recipe. It is not a very salty brine and we don't eat all of the turkey skin anyway.

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/13/10 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
Jam Session, the bird is soaking now....damn, that brine smells goooood!
If you notice from my old turkey picture, I cut the thighs/legs off the breast/back, so everything is open to heat circulation. The cavity is wide open and I smoke in an old fridge, which maintains temperature really well....better than the oven.
I am really looking forward to this.....excuse me while I wipe off my keyboard. smile

I did notice that you split the turkey but wasn't sure if you did that before or after you smoked it.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. If you're smoking in a fridge you shoulda done two! smirk Let us know how it turns out.

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/14/10 09:39 PM

Done!

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/14/10 10:02 PM

You sayin you want me to give you the bird? wink

You're welcome here anytime you've a mind to venture up this way.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/14/10 10:12 PM

Yummy...

I'll be taking my Traeger up to Late Archery hunting camp for Turkey Day... I'll set her on smoke mode and head out for 8 hours of hunting.. I'm looking forward to that golden bird!

Keith
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/15/10 11:30 AM

I'm hungry now.Thanks,Good luck,
SZ
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/15/10 01:34 PM

Knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread...

I'll be working, anyone have some good Nalley Chili recipes?

Re: Off topic...but not by much - 11/15/10 10:49 PM

Sounds good AuntyM, but that will have to wait until next time. BTW.....this bird is excellent.....love the flavor, after taste, smell....just whacked off some and added a little cranberry sauce on the side......awesome.