FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog?

Posted by: Dave Vedder

FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? - 12/07/10 02:47 PM

Tye ate a few of these today while I was fishing on the Snoqualmie .Don't know how many. Don't know for sure if they are poisonous? Any ideas?

Posted by: Waterboy

Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? - 12/07/10 03:00 PM

Looks like snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus). Native shrub around these parts. Good winter feed for birds as the berries stay on long after the leaves fall off. I doubt it would be harmful to a dog.

Update, maybe it would be harmful to a dog if he ate enough. From the Seattle Times:
The round, white berries on the common snowberry (Symphoricarpos alba) have saponins in them, which are toxic but poorly absorbed by the body and tend to pass through and cause little harm. Saponins are found in some kinds of beans and other plants we eat regularly.

The general consensus seems to be that a person would need to eat a lot of snowberries to have a toxic effect. But since these berries are so showy and attractive after the leaves fall, you may want to wait to plant snowberries until your daughter is a little older.

Oddly, birds eat snowberries with no ill effects, yet Native Americans used to put large quantities of these berries into streams to kill the fish which can't tolerate them. Local tribes also used snowberries as an external salve to cleanse and heal the skin.
Posted by: BentRod II

Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? - 12/07/10 03:12 PM

Agreed that they look like Snowberry. Good info from waterboy, but I'd also call the vet and ask for an opinion.

Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? - 12/07/10 03:53 PM

Called the Vet. She said to watch him for lethargy and nausea. If no symptoms no problem.
Posted by: sidewinder

Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? - 12/07/10 04:02 PM

Those are snowberries. Grouse luv um.

I'd call more vets. They should be able to answer your question. Yours did not.Thats like saying watch him, and if he dies. He is dead. Not trying to scare ya. But that isn't much of a answer.
Posted by: BentRod II

Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? - 12/07/10 04:11 PM

I didn't see anything that shows them to be highly toxic. Sounds like your dog would have had to ingest a whole lot of them to have any negative effects. According to the literature, at most it seems he'd be nauseous and lethargic.

Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? - 12/07/10 05:01 PM

I have doen a lot of Internet research and agree that a dog would need to eat a lot to be in serious trouble. I dont know how many he ate, but it couldn't have been more than a few.

I will keep an eye on him today and quit worrying if hes okay in the AM.