cleardrift displays

Posted by: cleardrift floats

cleardrift displays - 12/16/10 12:04 AM

Some display stands that you may find in your local tackle shop,if there not in your local fishing shop ask to get them hello
Posted by: Bigjim

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/16/10 12:11 AM

Pretty slick.
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/16/10 01:42 AM

Got em'.
Posted by: Chasin' Chrome

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/16/10 12:29 PM

I bought some of these at 3 Rivers and used them last week up on the Sky, they work great!

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/17/10 09:58 AM

I'am glad you guys are enjoying the floats,hey if you have some fish photos with the cleardrifts post them grin
Posted by: tinyelvis

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/17/10 10:59 AM

Yeah, these floats work great! They do everything a float needs to do, like...........float for example!
Posted by: Jon Lawrence

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/17/10 10:43 PM

Just sent out and order for the store. Hope to see them soon out here on the Kitsap Peninsula!
Posted by: Thrasher

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/18/10 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: cleardrift floats
I'am glad you guys are enjoying the floats,hey if you have some fish photos with the cleardrifts post them grin

Need some in Lynden!!!
Posted by: big o

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/18/10 12:03 PM

Im just wondering what makes these better than any other torpedo style float?
Posted by: Rossiman

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/18/10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: big o
Im just wondering what makes these better than any other torpedo style float?

A floats a float, there are some betters than others and there are some that are more expensive than others. I used to be a fan of Drennan Pikers, however the Cleardrifts are about half as much as the Drennans. I got ahold of some last year in the Notebook giveaway and i used them this year for spring chinook, coho, fall chinook, and steelhead and I've been impressed with them. They are virtually indestructible, they track straight, there easy to see, and there economical...
Personally, I still think the best floats are 1 and 1 1/2 cork floats... thumbs
Posted by: Eric

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/18/10 02:06 PM

Cleardrift,

Do you know of any stores carrying them in the Grays Harbor area?

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/18/10 04:50 PM

Hey Bigo the differance is that they drift great and they are also stealthy smile Eric whats the names of a few shops in that area?I will try to get some there. As for your answer Abu-loomis they stand up well against hiting the rocks just like Rossiman said.
Posted by: Rossiman

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/18/10 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
Originally Posted By: Rossiman
. They are virtually indestructible

Do they stand up to getting smacked by lead on the cast? Smashing into rocks and ledges on the cast? I stopped fishing Drennans because they're so fragile and expensive....also stopped fishing Thill's this last spring and fall because they dent and crack fairly easily. Plus the thills get braid grooves inside that make them a total bitch to use.

So far ive been impressed with there durability, I haven't cracked one yet and they have hit there fair share of rocks. That was also a problem i had with the Drennans, they aren't as durable. The ONLY complaint i have so far is they don't have a 11g model.
When i went to three rivers a few weeks ago to pick up the 20-25g models, i think they where selling them for 2.79 if i remember correct... Pretty much half of what the Drennans go for.

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/19/10 03:33 PM

Quote:
Eric whats the names of a few shops in that area?I will try to get some there.

The shops with any kind of selection are:

Monte Square Chevron.......Montesano
Dennis Company........Montesano
Dennis Company.........S. Aberdeen
Walmart..........Aberdeen (though I make it a point not to shop there)

Thanks. I hope you can do this.
Posted by: Thrasher

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/20/10 12:37 AM

Do they stand up to getting smacked by lead on the cast? Smashing into rocks and ledges on the cast? I stopped fishing Drennans because they're so fragile and expensive....also stopped fishing Thill's this last spring and fall because they dent and crack fairly easily. Plus the thills get braid grooves inside that make them a total bitch to use.

I totally agree...

DNE balsas are nice but have a tendency to get line cuts in them too easy and won't ride right once cut.

Lately, I have resorted to merely using DNE foam floats even though the balsa ones are nicer. But until someone can come out with one more indestructible, I am having a hard time paying $5-7 each when a cheap foam one "will work adequate".
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/20/10 01:11 AM

Mail order?????????

Seems like this would be the answer to easy availability.....Use of credit or debit card......or what I prefer, "Pay Pal".

I love shopping "on-line", paying with Pay Pal.....then just waiting for one of the delivery systems....to bring what I ordered.

Where you stand on this????????
Posted by: superfly

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/20/10 02:53 AM

If someone wants to send me some for free I will fish them.......I have fished every float out there and still have not found one that I like 100 %
Try and impress me !!!!!

Peace
Fly
Posted by: RognSue

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/20/10 08:37 AM

The chartreuse color is very easy to find on the water...
but it's hard to find in the stores...
Floats work great and catch fish

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/20/10 08:22 PM

Hey Jon you sould have the floats weds grin
Posted by: large edward

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/24/10 08:41 PM

Does anyone know where in the Seattle area I can find the chartruese-topped floats? Much easier to see than red for old guys like me. Thanks.
Posted by: GBL

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/25/10 10:05 AM

Cleardrift-
Lets do some business, I am opening a tackle shop up at our lodge this next season and will stock your product!
www.glacierbearlodge.com

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/25/10 11:51 AM

Sure sounds great send me an email
Posted by: ReiterRat

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/25/10 06:28 PM

Large Edward,
Three Rivers Marine in Woodinville has them in stock.
Posted by: large edward

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/25/10 07:17 PM

Cool, thanks Kent.
Posted by: Gray Ghost

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/25/10 10:24 PM

So far ive been impressed with there durability, I haven't cracked one yet and they have hit there fair share of rocks. That was also a problem i had with the Drennans, they aren't as durable. The ONLY complaint i have so far is they don't have a 11g model.
When i went to three rivers a few weeks ago to pick up the 20-25g models, i think they where selling them for 2.79 if i remember correct... Pretty much half of what the Drennans go for.

I've read an 11g model is to be available sometime in the future. That's the size I'm waiting for also, then I'll order a bunch. 11g. is my favorite size for other float brands, for float, 1/8 oz. jig and just a little extra weight.

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/25/10 10:43 PM

CLEARDRIFT,

Ever thought about adding some type of lower ballast weight to the CLEARDRIFT floats. To help the float up right more easily and aid in casting lighter riggings. I'm thinking clear glass ballast weight in the bottom of the float, would help them preform that much better. It would be protected by the exterior of the float and would still keep its stealth. My best preforming floats are lightly weighted on the bottom.

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/26/10 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric
Quote:
Eric whats the names of a few shops in that area?I will try to get some there.

The shops with any kind of selection are:

Monte Square Chevron.......Montesano
Dennis Company........Montesano
Dennis Company.........S. Aberdeen
Walmart..........Aberdeen (though I make it a point not to shop there)

Thanks. I hope you can do this.

Had a chance to look into this yet?

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/26/10 08:55 PM

Eric I will give them a call this week I have been so busy.

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/26/10 08:57 PM

Graygost thats an interesting idea eek

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/27/10 08:29 PM

Graygost thats an interesting idea eek

I've been drilling a small hole into the colored top of the CLEARDRIFT floats and adding some small clear 10/0 rochaille glass beads for lower ballast weight. Then sealing the hole back up with epoxy and touching up with the appropriate paint / Sharpie color. I got the idea from when I've added these clear glass beads to the A-JUST-A-BUBBLE floats that lets you add water to them. It works well to add weight to bottom of the A-JUST-A-BUBBLE float with out adding water or if you desire, a combination of water and clear glass beads. If you pre-weighted the CLEARDRIFT floats this would not have to be done.

Also, have you thought about adding a permanent stop bead / smaller hole to the top of the CLEARDRIFT floats. I've been epoxying the same clear 10/0 rochaille glass beads to the top of the CLEARDRIFT floats for a permanent stop bead. Glass beads work well for the float stop hole, slide on the line better than plastic beads and don't get line grooves like plastic beads will get sometimes. Glass beads also tend to have smaller holes than plastic beads, allowing for a smaller adjustable float stop to be used on the line.

Just a couple of ideas for the ultimate salmon / steelhead weighted sliding stealth float.
Posted by: Blktailhunter

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/28/10 01:55 PM

Are there any retailers in the Silverdale area that stock those floats?

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/29/10 11:42 AM

Hi Blktailhunter what are the names of the stores in that area?
Posted by: Jon Lawrence

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/29/10 12:21 PM

Blktailhunter, Defiance Marine is the only store on the Kitsap peninsula that stocks these. Defiance Marine is located on the north end of the Bremerton Airport.

Re: cleardrift displays - 12/31/10 11:25 PM

Some new stores that you can get some cleardrifts next week are: http://www.forksoutfitters.com/ http://www.swainsinc.com/
http://www.davessports.com/
Posted by: Tillanook

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/02/11 06:44 AM

Is there a primer of some sort under the orange paint so the orange isn't visible from below?

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/02/11 10:46 AM

Yes there is
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/02/11 11:25 AM

White paint works the best...for the base coat.....most times 1 coat is enough, 2 at the very most.

Have used just about all kinds/types of floats.......for me the bright green works the best.......so I've "white coated the bright orange", then painted with the bright green......

Is mail order, with paypal.....going to be an option?????????
Posted by: SideDrifterGear

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/04/11 12:03 AM

Hello,
I will be selling Rob's ClearDrift floats on my website at SideDrifter.com
http://www.sales.sidedrifter.com in a week or two, as soon as Rob sends them to me.

I believe my price will be 2 for $6.00 and about $1.75 shipping. I need to figure out what the weigh.

Thanks

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/04/11 12:24 AM

Hey SideDrifterGear I hope to ship them out this week to you hello

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/04/11 11:26 AM

Hey cleardrift we need some in Tillamook at Tillamook Sporting Goods. Give em a call and ask for Dan. They currently only have the clear bubbles.
Posted by: Queets guy

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/05/11 08:18 PM

Wholesale Sports and outdoors in Silverdale could definitely use some Cleardrifts. Currently on the beau mac dink style floats but they are week a not durable at all, would love to change.

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/06/11 10:11 AM

Hi Tillamook that store location is in Oregon? Queets guy I will try to get them in Wholesale Sports and outdoors thanks guys for the help.
Posted by: Drice

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/06/11 05:23 PM

I would love to see some of these around here in Eugene. 2bro's tackle would be a dandy place for them. These are really nice floats and I cant find this style anywhere in town.

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/06/11 10:03 PM

Hi Tillamook that store location is in Oregon? Queets guy I will try to get them in Wholesale Sports and outdoors thanks guys for the help.

Yeah the store is on the Oregon coast due west of Portland.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/08/11 05:47 PM

Hey Cleardrift,

These floats just flat out ROCK! Keep em' coming!

I do have a few "user" suggestions for you to consider and for others if interested...

First - would it be possible to develop a glow version that's similar to the green? I often fish very early; before the light is on the water, so I bought some glow paint and painted the top 1/3 with a clear coat of H20 based PU spray varnish. Add 2-3 small glow corkies at the top as your float stop beads, grab your flasher and you are good to go for 3-4 casts. No batteries or glow sticks needed. smile

I'm just learning how to post pics here, so I hope these work.
Glow float:

Glow float (non-rigged, w/o corkies):

Second - lots of us float braid and the floats can be very difficult to thread, especially in the dark with cold hands. Braid is just too limp to easily "push" through the float. So, I've made up (10-15) 2-3 ft" 30lb Mono "threaders" to assist the process. If possible, can a production threader be developed that's similar to a flytying bobbin threader, only much longer? See pics below for mono rigging and the cheap bobbin threaders for more detail.

Thread the mono up from the bottom, make loop and push it back through until it comes back out the bottom. Put enough braid through the mono that it will pull all of the way through the float (8 - 12"). Pull the braid through.

A longer "speed" threader would eliminate these steps and extra gear. It would probably need to be 1" - 2" longer than your current 30 gram float (one size fits all threader). You can purchase the standard bobbin threaders shown in these pics in (3) packs for about $4 dollars from any flyshop. I think a (3) pack of Cleardrift "Speed" threaders would be the SHOW! (cough...cough....hint...hint wink

Anyway - hope the above is useful! Tight lines,

NickD90

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/08/11 05:51 PM

Sorry in advance for any pic blow outs. Still learning to post pics here.

NickD90

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/08/11 07:20 PM

Hi NickD90 some good ideas.I was thinking about glow in the dark paint awhile back.I find that mono line drifts much better then braid,anyway that's my 2 cents.In Canada we are not aloud to fish for salmon or steelhead 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after the sun goes down. Do you guys have similar laws?

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/08/11 07:40 PM

Yes - we do have those same laws as our WA state standard....on all but a very few fisheries that allow night fishing. I use my custom painted glow green CD floats for that 1 witching hour. At first I'll flash and glow and then as it get lighter, the green float just takes over the glow in the low light and you can fish right on into the morning with the same rig.

I'm a "bankie" so when I float fish, I use a 12ft' float rod with braid...I find it floats better and I can make bombing casts up river, mend and reel, mend and reel until tight and across, then feed it out into an extended drift. Braid mends better than mono I've found and it's those mends that gives me my drag free drift from start to finish. Not to mention the instant hook sets braid affords on those extra long drifts. Just the ol' fly guy in me I guess.

Anyway - great floats!

Nick
Posted by: deerlick

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/08/11 10:49 PM

nick, if you splice in mono say 6-12 feet long to the end of your braid you wont have that problem anymore. nor will you have braid hanging down in the water, which defeats the purpose of a clear float with 40LB power pro hangin down to your weight.
Posted by: tinyelvis

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/08/11 10:51 PM

i really like the Pline Hydrofloat line for float fishing. Easy to see & manage.

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/08/11 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: deerlick
nick, if you splice in mono say 6-12 feet long to the end of your braid you wont have that problem anymore. nor will you have braid hanging down in the water, which defeats the purpose of a clear float with 40LB power pro hangin down to your weight.

+1. Super Glued Blood knot. Double Uni knot is a good connection knot for super braid to mono. as well, but has a fatter profile than the Blood knot for sliding through the rod guides. I've been using the Super Glued Blood knot connection for super braid to mono. for many years. I have never had the Super Glued Blood knot, super braid to mono. fail me yet, knock on wood. Wrap the super braid a few more wraps than the mono. wraps for the Super Glued Blood knot. The float slides easier on mono. also.

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/08/11 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: tinyelvis
i really like the Pline Hydrofloat line for float fishing. Easy to see & manage.

Try Sufix Performance Braid Hi Viz Yellow. The best performing super braid I have tried for float fishing and I have tried a lot of them.
Posted by: old nate

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/09/11 08:03 PM

I also would like to see an 11g model.
Grayghost, how does the Sufix compare to Power-pro?

Re: cleardrift displays - 01/09/11 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: old nate
I also would like to see an 11g model.
Grayghost, how does the Sufix compare to Power-pro?

Used Power Pro many years ago and I have since moved on to much better braids. Power Pro is to limp and frays over time more than I like. It will tip wrap and dig in to the spool too easy.

Sufix Performance Braid has the perfect stiffness to limpness, but not to stiff and wears really well over time, with very little fraying after many years of use. Best casting braid I have fished.

Summer: 10 lb. Moss Green Sufix Performance Braid, Blood knotted to 10' 10 lb. Clear Sufix Siege
Winter: 20 lb. Hi Viz Yellow Sufix Performance Braid, Blood knotted to 10' 14 lb. Clear Sufix Siege

http://www.sufix.com/usa/fishing_line/performance_braid/