Fish Friendly nets

Posted by: oregonarcher

Fish Friendly nets - 03/21/11 11:51 AM

Im looking to get a new net. any recommendations on a good net that will be used from my drift boat and handle steely dans and chinook?

Just want a few suggestions on what fish friendly nets you would recommend.

Thanks,

Kyle
Posted by: OnTheDrop

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/21/11 02:51 PM

I believe Cabelas has a rubber mesh net. Or, look for one with a coating on the nylon mesh.
Posted by: steelhead_stalkers

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/21/11 03:08 PM

Frabil conservation series nets are really nice. We have two and they work great. When fishing for chinook in the fall we catch a lot of wild silvers and are able to net them quickly and get them back in the water with very little scale loss. Good luck.
Posted by: oregonarcher

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/21/11 04:56 PM

do yours have the 48" handle? net size of 34" +

Thanks,

Kyle
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/22/11 10:57 AM

Now if the gill netters would only go to "fish friendly nets", the resource would be in much better shape...
Posted by: steelhead_stalkers

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/22/11 01:12 PM

I believe our larger one is the 26X30.
Posted by: gregsalmon

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/22/11 01:32 PM

Why net them if you are going to release them?
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/22/11 01:38 PM

Way better for the fish to be put in a net than drug up on the rocks or worn out to the point where you can grab it by hand. There are exceptions but, generally speaking, I think a CnR net is better for steelhead than no net.
Posted by: schoenweiss

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/22/11 02:42 PM

absolutely what APKD said.

the rubber nets i think are the best for the fish, but a pain as they are heavy and catch a lot of water. i guarantee you will lose the occasional fish because of that (although it hasn't happened around me yet!).

there are some other really good cnr friendly nets of softer typical net material (knotless of course), i have one in mind, but don't know the make or model. CobbleCruiser has a good one. What is it Danny?
Posted by: OnTheDrop

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/22/11 03:30 PM

Haven't used one of these, but it looks to be lighter than the rubber one

https://www.adventureproducts.com/index....de=egolandings1
Posted by: tinyelvis

Re: Fish Friendly nets - 03/22/11 11:34 PM

I have a frabil net and it's pretty dope for c&r but if you're fishing for dinner and have barbed hooks, it's a real bitch getting your hook out of the mesh.