Another fine trip to Yakutat

Posted by: GBL

Another fine trip to Yakutat - 08/16/11 10:52 PM

Had great weather this last weekend up at the lodge.

Still getting fresh sockeye but man did the Humpies ever show up!
Caught Coho, Humpies and Sockeye in the same hole on the Situk.
And of course the Halibut and Coho fishing in the ocean is still producing nice catches.
Harlequin Lake is showing some real nice ice bergs as well.
www.glacierbearlodge.com

Posted by: steeliedrew

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 08/17/11 05:43 AM

Wow! nice flatty! Nice mess of fish in that hole too! Glacier Bear Lodge...On the bucket list for sure!
Posted by: Yakutat Jack

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/01/11 04:05 PM

GBL...our group of 11 is comin' up to GBL this weekend, got a salt & river coho report? Looks like had alot of rain and more coming, river levels holding OK?
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/01/11 04:47 PM

Piggy Flatty, looks to be in the 60 inch range.
Cool pics of the fish in the river too...
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/01/11 05:51 PM

Cool stuff.Gotta get there some day soon.Good luck,
SZ

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/01/11 05:54 PM

Yak:
The Situk river has been producing for a month now! 3 weeks ago we were catching fresh Sockeye, Humpies and Silvers in the same holes in the lower river.
A drift of the river will be good now, they have been getting rain every few days so that is perfect!
Make sure you hit the incoming tide in the lower river, it has been hot.
Also, take a side trip to the Ankow Bridge and pitch jigs off the bridge to moving packs of fish, it is a gas watching them turn and run for the jig, then getting to the end of the bridge to land one!
I will be up on the 20th, hang around and I'll buy you dinner and a beer! wink

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/02/11 09:05 PM

Thx GBL...just spoke to my nephew who got into YAK earlier today...said he and my buddy hooked 30 on the lower situk...you're right...HOT! The rest of us will be there Sunday, would love to have that beer but we head home on the 10th. Glad to hear the Ankau bridge is producing again, last few years hasn't been...(at least when we were there).

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/02/11 11:13 PM

Can't wait for the report and pictures, last year we were hooking 30 to 40 each in the lower river with some real pigs!
Hope you hit those big ones as well.
Tell Sharesse to give you a bottle of wine on me for dinner!
Posted by: GutZ

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/03/11 01:50 AM

Good Luck Jack.
Time for a new avatar!

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/03/11 11:14 PM

GutZ...gotta come with us one year. Don't want to change avatar...this one keeps me young forever, and with a big fish. You out there getting ready to score on coho...?

GBL...will do, Sharesse knows us well...and thanks for the wine!
Posted by: GutZ

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/04/11 11:40 AM

Fishing lots.
Catching some.
Saving it up for the Derby next weekend wink

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/14/11 01:36 PM

GBL...thx again for the wine, much appreciated. Love the gals in the lodge, gotta great group there in the restaurant and the food was very good. Sad Sharesse leaving for new adventures.

Fishing tough this year, high water restricted us to the lower Situk where we caught fish but not like usual, and they were very small, big bucks must be forthcoming about when you arrive! The Ankau bridge did produce at times, but we would rathter be in the rivers jigging! One day due to weather had to resort to the "culvert" hole, and we caught some there...only in Alaska!

Charter fishing tough as well...I didn't go out but our group of 6 that did only came back with one 20lb. halibut and 5 salmon. Went out with Gary K. who was very disappointed since that is certainly not the average catch!

But all in all great trip fishin' and hangin' with the guys...we'll be back for our 21st annual next year!

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/16/11 11:16 AM

YJ:
Thanks for the report, Sounds like it is heating up now that the season is winding down. The weather has been the deciding factor of course. Glad to hear you got around and caught fish even with the water conditions. I will let you know how it is next week.
Sharesse has 2 kids and needs time with them. We have Pete taking over as GM with Adriana taking over as restaurant/bar manager, Pete knows the business and the clients like him. You probably remember him from last year as the maintenance/do it all manager. He already has some changes in the works and we plan to have a full apparel, Tackle and junk food store set up for next season.
Posted by: Wishinoneon

Re: Another fine trip to Yakutat - 09/16/11 10:13 PM

I love that avitar GBL