Rare Double on a FAT Fish

Posted by: Buzz Ramsey

Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 03:21 PM

While fishing the Deschutes with guide Bob Toman, ODFW NW Regional Manager Chris Wheaton landed a double, a summer steelhead and smallmouth bass, while casting a single FAT Fish plug in the half ounce size. Although not unheard of, it's rare to catch a steelhead and smallmouth bass on the same lure and cast. Bob and client were fishing about 3 miles upstream from the mouth of where the Deschutes River enters the Columbia.
Posted by: snit

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 03:28 PM

Never seen that before. Both great specimens!
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 03:57 PM

Smallmouth and steelie arguing over small crankbait....

"Less filling..."

"Tastes great...."

OK you mf'r, I'll show you.
Posted by: ieatfish

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 04:46 PM

I bet that was a heck of a fight. I have seen a smallie double a few times, and White Bass, but this is interesting.

mc
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzz Ramsey
Although not unheard of, it's rare to catch a steelhead and smallmouth bass on the same lure and cast.

I'll bet it's rare...probably unheard of in Wa...We've seen several doubles, but normally 1 fish 2 plugs (or baits) in it's mouth...
P.S. Welcome aboard...
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 05:34 PM

Cool stuff.Good luck,
SZ
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 08:31 PM

Welcome aboard, Buzz!

Pretty cool to see a double with a steelie and a ditch pickle.

thumbs
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 08:52 PM

i heard of a steelhead and a big smallmouth on the same stringer at blue creek many years ago.
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 09:01 PM

Nice,
Had a similar double this summer. A 18-20lbs. king ate a whole herring and somehow a silver got the leader line wrapped around its head/gills. Already had a limit of kings in the box so we bonked the silver and released the king.
Posted by: Needeep

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/06/11 11:37 PM

The person who caught this pair should buy a lotto ticket.
Posted by: The Catcherman

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/07/11 02:13 AM

Cool pic and story but I hate to see smallmouth taking hold in the Big D. I guess it is not new to have them there but it just seems like they are getting more widespread each new year.
Posted by: GodLovesUgly

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/07/11 12:06 PM

Haha, that is so sick! I have heard of LMB doubles on cranks, and had salmon hit multiples lures in one set before, but never 2 species on the same hook, let alone a steelie too.

Very cool.
Posted by: Saundu

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/07/11 11:41 PM

I wonder which one hit the plug first?
Posted by: fish_4_all

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/08/11 01:09 AM

One of those have to see it to believe it. I would have had to have a video of them fighting in the water or no one would have believed me.
Posted by: ieatfish

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/16/11 12:35 PM

Its likely that the steelie hit it first, smallmouth are known to get into feeding frenzies. As uncommon as this type of double is, its very common for a two on one lure double to involve at least one smallmouth.

-mc
Posted by: Double Haul

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/16/11 07:57 PM

Did you kill the ditch pickle?
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/16/11 09:07 PM

I'm sorry but this pic looks bogus! i can see how the steelhead is on a hook. but that stupid bass is in noway on a hook laying the way it is. if this was true the steelhead and bass would be nearly kissing. i call B.S. on this post and pic.

plus i highly doudt the OP is actually really buzz.
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/16/11 09:14 PM

I know Toman, and the pic is legit. The steelie came first, then as it neared the bank, the smallie tried to take the plug away from it. Both got bbq'd that night smile

Bob has some more pics on his site I believe...

Here is a small in the water shot...
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/16/11 10:31 PM

wow! rarely am i wrong. the crow tastes great!

wink
Posted by: lovetofish365

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/16/11 11:12 PM

sweeeeeet
Posted by: fish_4_all

Re: Rare Double on a FAT Fish - 09/16/11 11:22 PM

I couldn't find any pictures on the site but I may have to make a trip and fish for some of those carp one day. Do know I am glad I looked at the site, seems like it was dumb luck it was FAT fish plug with all the fish they get on plugs. Not dumb luck to double, just that it was the lure.

Nice pictures and nice site. Glad you mentioned it.

I hope Toman knows that someone is using one of his images to advertise so he is making something off it.