I'll be missing you Rachael Rae

Posted by: eyeFISH

I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/20/11 11:14 PM

Been fishing this HOT spinner blade on my rod EVERY day since Sept 23.

A little chunkier than the typical spinner blade I typically use for this application, but definitely on the sexy side. And often able to deliver on a potential meal within 30 minutes.

Unfortunately she was lost to the prop on my kicker motor today due to a totally preventable pilot error on my part.

End of a short-lived but very lively era... and just when I was starting to get emotionally attached. Pouring a double Lagavulin to drown my sorrows.

I'll be missing you Rachael Rae.
Posted by: Canyon Man

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/20/11 11:39 PM

We will start a new love affair this weekend!

CM
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/21/11 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Canyon Man
We will start a new love affair this weekend!

CM

TMI
Posted by: Achewter

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/21/11 03:27 AM

Just kills me to see him like this. That bottle is toast

Sweet pic

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/21/11 09:04 AM

Well, damn near toast.

Rachael Rae has a cousin named Tammy Fae that has yet to catch a fish.

Gonna try giving Tammy a workout today to see if she'll come anywhere close to Rachael.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/21/11 09:31 AM

rofl Nice pic!
And you were saying ? about two rod endorsement?
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/21/11 11:45 AM

Man,you need some help.Naming all your flashers/plugs/spinners after females.What ever happend to "Ginger" the bay flasher??????.Break out a new virgin and have some fun with it.Good luck,
SZ
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/21/11 11:46 AM

Found one "Rachael Rae"..........hanging in a gill net !!!!!! ugh.........

No just kidding................ have a good day.......
Posted by: supcoop

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/21/11 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Pouring a double Lagavulin to drown my sorrows.

Nothing like a camp fire in your mouth to ease the pain.
Posted by: oneeyedgoat

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/23/11 07:16 PM

Hey Doc...Thanks for getting this back to me, kinda a sentimental thing...Well a little touch up (with some new Krilon paint pens) check them out..she lives again,,2 take downs and 1 fish on..no keepers but i would say she is still woekin fine..thanks again..

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/23/11 07:16 PM

sorry not the best photo..

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/23/11 07:26 PM

also ment to ask if you gave this one a name,, if not i could use some ideas.. stick with your trend seeing you caught fish with it as well..wife would like to know how many,think i was up to 12 or 15 when you got a hold of it.. see you around...

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/24/11 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: oneeyedgoat
also ment to ask if you gave this one a name,, if not i could use some ideas.. stick with your trend seeing you caught fish with it as well..wife would like to know how many,think i was up to 12 or 15 when you got a hold of it.. see you around...

I just call that one THE Coho Killer.

None in the river for me... caught all of mine in the ocean, hence the rusty split ring.

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 10/24/11 08:25 PM

MIssing you.... sniff sniff

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 02:41 AM

Missin' Rachael on a straight tequila night....

(Man I thought I posted these nearly a month ago. Must be the tequila.... or the Vitamin-L)

Posted by: Achewter

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 04:05 AM

dont forgit about the one in the freezer.

what the hell am i thinking
forget about it

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 02:03 PM

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 02:30 PM

Ouch.Good luck,
SZ
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 02:39 PM

I like the cowling mounted folbe. Nice touch!
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 03:06 PM

rofl rofl rofl
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 03:18 PM

You're welcome, Doc!

All in good fun!

wink

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 03:20 PM

FREE PAKER!!!! (so I don't have to do his dirty work for him...hehe)

CM

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 03:25 PM

I'm only free for 30 minutes at lunch and two fifteen minute breaks. Still gotta use this damn iphone though. Good thing it's got a bluetooth keyboard!

I got's 5 minutes left......

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: parker
You're welcome, Doc!

All in good fun!

wink

Made me smile.... and chuckle a bit inside.

Anyone who's fished on my barge knows I'm all bark, no bite. It's all hugs and kisses after the fish is securely in the bag.
Posted by: Eric

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/17/11 09:07 PM

smile

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/18/11 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
Man,you need some help.Naming all your flashers/plugs/spinners after females.What ever happend to "Ginger" the bay flasher??????

She still lives!

And she's still killin'em!

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/18/11 02:31 PM

Keep your right hand on the cork not the rod as it may snap some day.Xrodz has solved that problem with a longer front cork section.Just sayin.Ginger has been so good to you over the years I'm surprised your not married by now.Have you even proposed to her yet?????.......................................................Good luck,
SZ

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/18/11 03:33 PM

Marriage?

YGBFKM, right?

Been there, done that... no thanks.

BTW does anyone really think a broad hand applied in that spot creates any more risk to the blank than if it were covered with an extra 1/4" layer of cork? Physically, it's the same amount of force applied over an almost equally wide area of contact so, I'm not that worried. I just bow to the fish when the rod tip lunges.

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/18/11 03:59 PM

Don't worry Doc, the new design is in the works....your ultimate B10 and GH rod is almost here. I will guarantee you will be very impressed. Although you might be pissed at me because you are going to want a whole set of them for team eyeFISH!

CM
Posted by: Eric

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/18/11 09:43 PM

Quote:
BTW does anyone really think a broad hand applied in that spot creates any more risk to the blank than if it were covered with an extra 1/4" layer of cork?

I don't think it creates more risk. I've heard that argument and am convinced that unless you are a total Clifford at fighting a fish, you don't have a helluva lot to worry about by using a hand on the blank in that way. As you said, bow to the fish when pressure gets excessive....not a big deal.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/19/11 12:15 AM

I've never broken a rod by grabbing it a bit above the cork, but a friend of mine once posed a real stumper when he saw me doing it. His question was, "If the rod maker intended you to grip the rod there, don't you think he would have put cork there?"

Of course, he was right, but I still catch myself cheating up a bit, especially when applying side pressure.
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/19/11 02:11 AM

I have seen a number of dudes that know their spey rods pretty well, walk the fight right to the tip of the rid before hand lining the fish to the bank. As Doc mentions, it is a force applied vs. strength of the rod (with consideration for angle) equation. Watch that video about Bob Clay's family again for an example or two.

When I first heard that bit about only holding the rod where cork was present, I thought about it for a second, and then quickly realized it was bullshite. Hold the rod wherever you want, it is a tool to hook and land a fish, just realize that you might break it if you exceed the blank's capabilities in any given section.

When using a rod longer than about 9.5' and faced with no option to sweep the fish onto a gently sloping bank, once has few other choices than to choke up a bit.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/19/11 11:49 AM

The farther up the rod blank you place your hand the greater the torque on the remander blank.

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/19/11 09:38 PM

Well, not quite.

Actually torque = force applied x length of the lever being torqued... as in ft-lbs of torque. 3 pounds applied 6 ft from the grip = 18 ft-lbs of torque. Same amount of force on a shorter lever means less torque. That's the only reason to reach higher up the blank.... to diminish the torque that must be overcome by the anglers biceps.

BUT....

At some point up the blank, the strength of that blank diminishes FASTER than the torque being applied..... reach too high, and snappo!

As long as the blank still "gives" at the point where it is being held, there is still some cushion to absorb any sudden increase in torque when the fish lunges away. That cushion is what allows the rod to buck in the anglers hand.... it's also a pretty good signal of when to "bow" to the fish.

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/20/11 10:46 AM

Explained only as Doc can do!

CM

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/21/11 11:35 AM

WOW, I didn't know my smart assed comment was gonna go all scientific and chit.That being said most of us know when to and know when not to tweek the rod as it's called angling for a reason.Good luck,
SZ
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/21/11 12:31 PM

Simple. When I am holding one of my rods I hold it wherever I want to. When a newb is holding one of my rods "Hold it by the cork, and do NOT thumb the spool."

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/21/11 10:44 PM

"Bad" habits are hard to break...

When it comes to coaching newbs, I agree with Ryan. Do as I say.... DAMMIT.... not as I do. wink grin

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 11/21/11 10:49 PM

Back on topic....

What the hell were we talkin'bout anyway? Oh yeah... Rachael Rae.

Pleased to report that Achewter delivered a couple more of the coveted RR blades last weekend. Gonna have to giv'er a try for springers and summers before my estuary troll fishery starts in earnest in 2012.

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 03/09/21 06:05 PM

Gonna have to find me a slimmer 4.0 sized Rachael Rae for R&D trials behind a kicker flasher this fall.

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 03/10/21 12:16 PM

I invited Rachel and her extended family over for our upcoming R&D trials this summer/fall.

While Rachel was no where to be found, I believe there's still some good in her extended family.

URB's beware.....but only if I maybe get some sleep and one or two less cocktails before I attempt any more late night and last minute garage hangout/bullsh!tting crimping sessions.

Mental Note: DO NOT CRIMP THE WRONG WAY. BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN.

Brought in some reinforcements as well. I know, I know. They all have no color. Not very diverse, equitable, and inclusive of me.

I'm still having a hard time coming to terms/grasps that we will probably be a kicker flasher boat in the future.

The days of bait may be numbered. OTOH, I DO love a bait bite. Gonna be hard not to put out a cut plug herring spinning behind an electric pole dancer.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: I'll be missing you Rachael Rae - 03/10/21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: elparquito

I'm still having a hard time coming to terms/grasps that we will probably be a kicker flasher boat in the future.

Don't forget flat brims and Monster stickers