Where to get decent eggs?

Posted by: MaxMad

Where to get decent eggs? - 05/24/12 12:10 PM

I live in Chehalis, Sunbird's has eggs that fish decent and cost $25.99 plus tax but, they get their eggs delivered on Wednesday in the afternoon(?) and by the time I'm off work they are gone, the Texaco at Exit 68 has eggs but, cost $31.99 plus tax AND they are purple, can't seem to get the fish to bite them. Fish Country has eggs for $26.99 but, bait from half the jar turned white after one drift, the other half of the jar seemed decent. Is there anywhere from Olympia to Kelso that sells decent eggs at a reasonable price? Raw eggs would be better. What's the deal to getting some decent eggs?

I have ran out of the silver eggs I cured last fall....
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Where to get decent eggs? - 05/24/12 03:45 PM

might be tough to find fresh eggs till about July... but for fresh eggs, i would try Nates Bait, and Sunrise Bait... Nates is 7ish per pound, and i assume that Sunrise will be around the same... you can also buy cured eggs from Sunrise, 32oz jars are 27 bucks... Nates i think is 25 for a 32oz jar...

you will have to get them shipped tho, so i would call them each and see what they can do for you...

https://natesbaitfishingproducts.com/

http://www.sunrisebait.com/
Posted by: Free_Globbin

Re: Where to get decent eggs? - 05/24/12 04:00 PM

Most of the "Fresh Eggs" this time of year are flash frozen and total garbage. If you can find some unfrozen stuff, they may be good depending on what they are and how they were handled. For what it's worth, I would recommend buying some already cured stuff and just making do until you can get your hands on some good eggs.

For once, I actually agree with Redhook and I would check out Sunrise or Nate's for some cured eggs. They aren't the best, but they catch fish.

Posted by: RB3

Re: Where to get decent eggs? - 05/24/12 04:03 PM

I got a lot of flash frozen eggs from a guy that fished in alaska. They took probably 4 times as much time and effort to cure and dry. They fish okay but don't have thta sexy plump look that fresh eggs have. Go with a cured batch saves a lot of time and mess..
Posted by: oregonarcher

Re: Where to get decent eggs? - 05/24/12 07:46 PM

Try Amerman eggs. They are quality. Google in. I always have a container in my boat and they do well.

Kyle
Posted by: Supertrout

Re: Where to get decent eggs? - 05/25/12 11:23 AM

Buyer beware with fresh eggs! Gillnet season for springers/summer chinook (that have mature eggs) on the Columbia is coming up/in progress. I attempted to buy fresh eggs a couple times, but nobody was ever too forthcoming about the source of the eggs. The gillnet fisheries on the columbia seem to be a primary source from the few people that coughed up information. In the end I decided just to wait, make hatchery fish bite, bonk them and take their eggs. With a little persistence there are plenty available for sport harvest unless you seriously want to chuck a LOT of guts. Also fish bite lots of stuff besides eggs. Before you buy these type of eggs, consider what the impact is for wild chinooks and wild steelhead (bycatch in nets!) headed upriver. Or just try and find another source of high-quality eggs that doesn't impact native stocks... Not easy...