Best artificial eggs

Posted by: jgreen

Best artificial eggs - 12/20/12 07:04 PM

Hey guys, I need to know what brand of artificial eggs I should buy and where to get them.

I use real eggs, but eventually one runs out, and I dont always like dealing with them. Let me know. Thanks guys!

Also i prefer to run my eggs under a float so they need to be weighted.
Posted by: neon

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/20/12 07:55 PM

Jensen Eggs. You find them on Ebay every now and then, or locate a 'friend' that will let you into their 20 year old stash.
Posted by: Roy Otis

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/20/12 10:12 PM

Egg bumpers if you cand find them. They would likely fall into the 20 year old stash category
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/20/12 10:13 PM

Are any of them weighted? If you're dead set on float fishing fake eggs I'd get ez eggs and use some split shot..But that's just me.
Posted by: Ale

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/20/12 10:44 PM

I tie my eggs in netting which helps save egg consumption. Just a thought..
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/20/12 10:56 PM

EZ Egg & split shot like said above.Good luck

SZ
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 12:11 AM

Fake cluster eggs just don't do a thing for me. Tell me, anyone......when would a fish EVER see a cluster of eggs in a natural state? I'm not saying bait doesn't work....but it is bait.....I can see where a fish might see one or possibly two single eggs floating along.....but a cluster?

To me, imitating an unnatural thing is appealing solely to the fish's instinct to strike at something......which means anything would do the trick.

just my 2

forget the fake eggs, use a glass bead on the same tie-up as the eggs.
Posted by: Huntar

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 12:45 AM

Trout beads are great for singles, Jensen's if you can find them also. Mad River makes some also, but they tend to smell like plastic.
EZ eggs seem to be the best cluster style.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
Fake cluster eggs just don't do a thing for me. Tell me, anyone......when would a fish EVER see a cluster of eggs in a natural state? I'm not saying bait doesn't work....but it is bait.....I can see where a fish might see one or possibly two single eggs floating along.....but a cluster?

To me, imitating an unnatural thing is appealing solely to the fish's instinct to strike at something......which means anything would do the trick.

just my 2

forget the fake eggs, use a glass bead on the same tie-up as the eggs.

I couldn't disagree more.... It goes much further than presentation and instinct of the fish to strike....

Do you like eating a rubber ribeye steak?

Keith
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
when would a fish EVER see a cluster of eggs in a natural state?

About as often as they would see a tadpolly, 50-50 spoon, corkie and yarn, 6-inch pink worm, purple intruder, ball of yarn, or marabou jig I suppose.

So the question is what do steelhead bite and why? We'll never know for certain or entirely, but after a while the patterns and habits are easy to recognize. Color, contrast, movement, size, scent are all important things to consider and to pay attention to as you go.

I am certain a steelhead has never seen a real fly that looks like a thingamabobber but I have seen a steelhead eat one. Why? Not sure. I think the not knowing is part of what makes chasing them fun.

To stay on topic, I have caught a handful of fish using those EZ eggs under bobbers and as part of drift rigs. Seems to work just fine. I do wish they made them scent free for selective zones though.
Posted by: GBL

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 09:47 AM

I have caught Steelhead on Marsh mellows, ear plugs(before they were called a lure), buttons from the wife's sewing kit, green rubber tubing, knitting yarn, rainier beer caps and even a piece of hot-dog years ago on the Hump.
My grandfather never threw a thing in the river but a red and chartruese piece of yarn and a very small cluster of eggs and he caught the crap out of them!
Lures, fake eggs and whatever work for whoever feels confident with them, but overall, it just does not matter.
A real good fisherman will go out and catch fish and what he uses is not as important as where and how he reads water.

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 10:14 AM

I'm still looking to find the disagreement.

You can use stuff that imitates something natural (crawdads, shrimp, fish) or something that triggers a strike reflex (which may or may not cross into the "natural" territory). Cluster eggs are bait that may cross into the strike reflex territory. Fake single eggs cross into both territories. Fake cluster eggs, however, are strike reflex only (unless scented), so knowing that, I would use something that increases my chances.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 11:19 AM

Ford Chevvy

Fish what you have confidence in and present it properly.

Gooey Bobs have been the lure of choice for many years on many BC streams. Why do they work? Because they are presented well and because, for reasons we may never fully understand, steelhead pick them up.

As Coley pointed out its hard to find something a steelhead wont bite - on ossassion. Just because they have never seen such a thing before seems to have no effect whatsoever.

I'm betting the first guy to fish a Corkie was laughed at. Hell, no steelhead has ever seen such a thing. My first steelhead bit a clown Corkie. Pretty sure there was no clown Corkie hatch that day.
Posted by: wsu

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntar
Trout beads are great for singles, Jensen's if you can find them also. Mad River makes some also, but they tend to smell like plastic.
EZ eggs seem to be the best cluster style.

I have had good luck fishing a mad river egg along with a yarn ball.
Posted by: Mystical Legends

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 02:04 PM

EZ Eggs
Posted by: neon

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 03:11 PM

People give the fish too much credit. We use our hands for everything. Even while speaking.

Fish dont have hands. They use their mouth, for everything...

Fish are simpletons, remedial at best, and lacking the evolution of hands to properly investigate the lures around them.
Posted by: Timber

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Mystical Legends
EZ Eggs

+1
Posted by: 4Salt

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: neon
Slab Happy is a simpleton, remedial at best, and lacking the evolution to properly know what the [Bleeeeep!] he's talking about.

typo fixed.

Re: Best artificial eggs - 12/21/12 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: 4Salt
Originally Posted By: neon
Slab Happy is a simpleton, remedial at best, and lacking the evolution to properly know what the [Bleeeeep!] he's talking about.

typo fixed.

Keep that thought. I don't like babysitting.