New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST?

Posted by: Thrasher

New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/03/13 12:16 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on here, but I don't feel like trying to dig one up from the old days.

This could perhaps be a Ford, Chevy and Dodge debate, but I am curious for some input as to which direction y'all would head and why?

I have several Simms products and their customer service is phenomenal but I am not certain if I like the fact that none of the pockets on the G3 and 4 aren't waterproof (inner pockets included) vs that of the Patagonia SST.

What are some 1st hand usage opinions? I am going to be mainly using this on the boat in the salt, not that it matters much, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Matt, what do you use while guiding in the salt?

I had considered Simms Pro Dry jacket but do not like the unlined pockets in front.

Thanks for the help

Posted by: ColeyG

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/03/13 12:27 AM

Big fan of the G3. Had one for a few years now and no real complaints. The hood is just a tad small, but they may have fixed that based on feedback by now. Never had a problem with wet pockets and I have put it through some pretty wet conditions for many days in a row.

The G4 is just a little too blingy for my taste, and functionally it is not really that much different than the G3. The G3 is cut a little tighter than the 4, which I like for walking, wading, casting, etc. I don't like much in the way of extra material getting in the way.

If you are going to primarily be using your new jacket on the salt and/or on boats, you might be more stoked on the Pro Dry shell as it is intended more for these types of applications. Heavier, roomier cut, etc.

Good luck!
Posted by: GBL

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/03/13 08:03 AM

Although expensive, I bought a Filson for Alaska, it has worked so well, I bought a second one so I can leave one up there!
Neoprene wrist guards with straps, great hood, large zipper and keeps me perfectly dry and warm all day.
Owned dozens of rain/fishing coats and this Filson is the best, even better than me Simms, and i like mt Simms!
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/03/13 11:56 AM

THIS is in my immediate future thumbs

Buy local. Nuf said.

Filson rocks too, and local.
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/03/13 01:52 PM

i picked up one of the sonic pro jackets on sierra trading post a month or so back:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/redington-sonic-pro-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~5209m/?filterString=s~sonic-pro%2F&colorFamily=01

if you look you can find discount codes on the net...i think i paid about $125 for mine!

i've put around a dozen outings on the thing, some of it in really nasty weather, and didn't get wet. the only complaint i've seen is about the hood -- it's enormous, and without a hat on, i can pull it all the way over my face, but it's really nice if you're like me and tend to wear a hooded sweatshirt and a hat with the jacket. keeps the rain from running down the bill of your hat and soaking your shoulders.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/03/13 03:28 PM

For salt water I think I'd stick with the grunden's. The original heavy one for cold day's and the lighter one for summer day's.How well are those zippers gonna hold up in the salt???????. good luck,
SZ
Posted by: Winterun

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/03/13 05:06 PM

I'm a big fan of my G3 also for fresh water use. But if your going to be using it primarily in the salt Grunden's. I got a new top last season for use in my boat, it's called the Petrus 760 or 762 in the Grunden's line, its hooded and has a suprisingly waterproof chest pocket which I kept my digital camera in for quick access. It's a pullover 1/4 zip laminated design, fleece underneath, with their rainstopping quiet rubber outer shell, neoprene cuffs, and a fairly big hood that I can still my regular hoodie, and hat underneath and not feel like I have tunnel vision. I think I paid less that $150 for it, money well spent, I think.
If your contemplating getting one of the Gortex type raincoats for saltwater use. Picture this....hot tuna bite, fish coming over the gunnels in wholesale fashion, blood everywhere!!!! Your looking good in your $300-$800 Gortex rainstopper, only to realize that gortex is pourous material to an extent, and tuna blood sticks to and gets into everything, and stinks like....well dead tuna fish blood, especially after it dries!!! You'll be washing that coat for days, just so you can put it on for the next trip!!!
You might not win any fashion contest, or voted the best dressed on your boat, but as I've been told, we're not out here for a pleasure cruise!!! My .02

Fish On!!!
Winterun
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/03/13 05:44 PM

No that that pic again................I had that finally erased from my mind and now it's fresh as day one.................Thanks 2many for bringing up the past.Good luck,
SZ

2many your gonna need to pay for my therapy session..............just sayin.
Posted by: Vasiliy

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/04/13 12:56 AM

Here is a 35% off coupon for Sierra Trading post, puts that Redington Jacket @ 136$ shipped:

EB010113A

Enter that at checkout. Its good site-wide except for clearance items and some other items are excluded...
Posted by: steeleywhopper

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/04/13 01:43 AM

I just got my Reddington Jacket from Sierra trading post today. Great deal with the coupon and man is this hood fit for a hippo!
Posted by: scrimps

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 01/04/13 10:55 AM

the SST is very thin and even when brand new after a few hours it starts to seep through. its also cut very short for deep wading but if our a tallerish guy it will be uncomfortable. I recommend Simms because they are more heavy duty and because its GORE. you can wash the simms products and revive them. the simms guide jacket is great at a lower price as well.

I have a buddy that was using the pro dry jacket for a while and he went to turn sharply in his sled and the tiller was caught under the long tail of the coat and he didnt make the corner as well as he wouldve liked. he stopped wearing it after that!
Posted by: Doctor Rick

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 04/13/13 11:06 PM

Resuscitating an old thread.

I need a new jacket and was planning on a Simms G3, but the G4 is "only " 79$ more.

Is the price hike worth the value?
Does anybody have any coupon codes for Cabelas or Simms?
Or any other ideas?

Thanks,
Rick
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 04/13/13 11:42 PM

Simms G3
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 04/14/13 01:15 AM

G3. It's heavier duty than all the others. It's obviously made for the worst conditions. However, it can be too much in April-October and turn into a sauna. I do a lot of hike fishing so this can be a drawback some days.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 04/14/13 03:21 AM

Maybe it is just me, but it seems Simms has downsized the cut on many of their
garments.
My old XXL guide jacket was nice and roomy and allowed for multiple layers when required. I tried on a new G3 XXL and the fit was considerably tighter.
I ended up getting a Patagonia Salt River jacket and have been very happy with it.
SF
Posted by: Doctor Rick

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 04/19/13 01:15 AM

OK. Pulled the trigger on a Simms G3 at caddisflyshop.com from my friend Chris Daughters. I have done a bunch of business there over the yeas and they are good people.
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? - 04/19/13 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Maybe it is just me, but it seems Simms has downsized the cut on many of their garments. My old XXL guide jacket was nice and roomy and allowed for multiple layers when required. I tried on a new G3 XXL and the fit was considerably tighter

Think so too.

My 2011 Simms Guide Jacket is my OP rain & cold weather wind shell I can put as many layers under it as I need for that day. The G 3/4 jackets have that little internal collar that is sweet for keeping rain from working its way down your back, if your hood is flipped back.

c/22