Alternatives to Buzz Bombs?

Posted by: stickfisher

Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/16/13 07:10 PM

Damn things are stupid expensive for a chunk of painted lead.

I fish quite a bit from the beaches and tend to lose a few here and there, plus I'm cheap. So I'm looking for an alternative at a lower ring.

Does anybody have a suggestion? Maybe an online source?

Thanks,

gh
Posted by: 47 Degrees

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/16/13 07:21 PM

WAIT are pinks running? What are you fishing for right now?
Posted by: IrishRogue

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/16/13 08:40 PM

Gyro Jigs?
http://www.overstockbait.com/Williamson_Gyro_Jig_p/gj.htm

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/16/13 11:41 PM

Planning ahead for coho and cuts there bud. Never said I was fishing right now. I got to thinking and decided to ask. Thanks for making all of the assumptions though.

I pulled plenty of pink Buzz Bombs out of the Skagit two years ago, so if I end up slinging lead for pinks I'm all good there. Besides, real fishermen know that only pinks are dumb enough to be caught on a rotating jig.
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 02:12 AM

Pt Wilson Darts

Ah but they are expensive.
Posted by: Moravec

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 02:17 AM

I would recommend...uh... Buzz Bombs?

If ya lose two a day but average a 5 pound salmon a day... you're in it fer $2 per pound of tasty fresh caught salmon... if ya have a difficult time justifying the cost... hit up Gordon's in the frozen food section of your local Walmart.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 08:21 AM

Fresh dead herring under a bobber.
Posted by: bhudda

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 11:24 AM

Hoochie n 1/20Z jig head off the beach did well last year....

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Moravec
I would recommend...uh... Buzz Bombs?

If ya lose two a day but average a 5 pound salmon a day... you're in it fer $2 per pound of tasty fresh caught salmon... if ya have a difficult time justifying the cost... hit up Gordon's in the frozen food section of your local Walmart.

That's some good perspective. Thanks. I'd add food, gas, time, & beer in your ROI. But I digress, sometimes being trying to be frugal I can't see the forest for the trees.

Unfortunately my average isn't quite that high.

I like the suggestions for alternatives though, even if it is only something different to try.

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia

Thanks Jerry. I have difficulty procuring fresh dead herring as I drive to the Fort from the North. I haven't been able to find a source on the way down. I understand there is a place to get them around the ferry dock at the south side of the island, perhaps it is worth the extra drive.

I'm still working in that technique. I had the a few strikes that I missed on. One time it felt like the same fish hit three times, and I missed each time. I checked the way I had my herring rigged and I suspect the sloppy rigging and lack of attention to details was the culprit. In other words; I f*$%ed up!
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 12:07 PM

Zzinger
Posted by: MPM

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 12:17 PM

Ted's Sports Center in Lynwood often has "rotator" lures that are very similar to buzz bombs (but flatter) for a lower price.

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: stickfisher

Thanks Jerry. I have difficulty procuring fresh dead herring as I drive to the Fort from the North. I haven't been able to find a source on the way down. I understand there is a place to get them around the ferry dock at the south side of the island, perhaps it is worth the extra drive.

I'm still working in that technique. I had the a few strikes that I missed on. One time it felt like the same fish hit three times, and I missed each time. I checked the way I had my herring rigged and I suspect the sloppy rigging and lack of attention to details was the culprit. In other words; I f*$%ed up!

Possession Pt bait is the driveway just before Possession Pt Park

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&gl=us&daddr=8311+S+Franklin+Rd,+Clinton,+WA+98236&panel=1&f=d&fb=1&dirflg=d&geocode=0,47.909995,-122.376129&cid=0,0,17143373835375663621&hq=possession+point+bait&hnear=0x5490102c93e83355:0x102565466944d59a,Seattle,+WA

Guess you will need to copy and paste.

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 01:17 PM

Dang, that's an hour and a half out of the way. Maybe I'll swing by Cornet Bay an ask a few of the jiggers to buy the herring they catch while targeting smelt.

Thanks for the link.

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: MPM
Ted's Sports Center in Lynwood often has "rotator" lures that are very similar to buzz bombs (but flatter) for a lower price.

I've tried those. I found them here: http://www.deepstinger.com/

I think I'll start stocking up as I now recall the chartreuse 2.5" being all the rage and out of stock everywhere. I'm pretty sure Holiday Market in Burlington has them as well.

Thanks everybody for the discussion.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 02:02 PM

The Zzinger is made by the son of the man who invented the Buzz Bomb. IMHO it works even better and looks better.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: stickfisher

Possession Pt bait is the driveway just before Possession Pt Park

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&gl=us&daddr=8311+S+Franklin+Rd,+Clinton,+WA+98236&panel=1&f=d&fb=1&dirflg=d&geocode=0,47.909995,-122.376129&cid=0,0,17143373835375663621&hq=possession+point+bait&hnear=0x5490102c93e83355:0x102565466944d59a,Seattle,+WA

Guess you will need to copy and paste.

Possession Point Bait had not begun operations as of 8 May and last I heard they had sold out of their limited number of frozen packs from 2012. When they are up and running and guys are fishing salmon locally they will probably again be selling fresh bait at the Everett launch.

By Fort do you mean Ft. Lewis? If so, live bait is available at Day Island at the end of 19th. St. in Tacoma except, as with Possession Point Bait, it is not available year around although with the June ocean opener I would suspect Day Island has it available now or will have it very soon. Give them a call.

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 04:01 PM

Fort Casey.

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 10:17 PM

I'll start fishing casey sometime in August, likely weekends as work seems to be picking up, I only fish herring. I could pick some up for you.
Posted by: SideDriftin'

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/17/13 11:03 PM

Buy a stock of frozen, keep them in the freezer until you need them. Brine some up the night before you go.

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/18/13 11:07 AM

Brined will work but not near as well as fresh.
Posted by: spoonage

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/18/13 12:39 PM

Just posted a good deal on Buzz Bombs in the classifieds. $20 for 10.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum...html#Post839292
Posted by: jason m

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/19/13 01:29 AM

"rotators" work better than buzz bombs, used to be cheaper - not now, at least where I get em... Neither are all that pricey. I might lose one here or there, but then I go to the same beach at low tide and find 5 or 6 (hint).
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Alternatives to Buzz Bombs? - 05/19/13 10:54 AM

No doubt about finding them. I've got a good collection of them that I've found.
I ran into a guy with a metal detector two years ago on a very popular MA 9 beach after the humpy run had ended.
During a series of low tides he had found 100+ of them over a couple of days and was still going at it when I left.
SF