Strait of Juan de Fuca loaded with kings and pinks

Posted by: Phoenix77

Strait of Juan de Fuca loaded with kings and pinks - 07/09/13 09:31 AM

The Strait of Juan de Fuca loaded with kings and pinks, and some coho

The Strait of Juan de Fuca salmon fishery remains one of the perennial spots right now for a good mix of hatchery chinook, coho and pinks.

“They hit a lot of pinks around Port Angeles, and I heard there was some kings from Sekiu to Port Angeles,” said Larry Bennett, the head state Fish and Wildlife sampler in the Strait. “Most of the boats (around Port Angeles) didn’t go out less than a mile to find the pinks.”

A check on Sunday at Olson’s Resort in Sekiu had 66 boats with 160 anglers caught 93 chinook, 56 coho and 25 pinks; and Van Riper’s Resort had 35 boats with 93 anglers caught 49 chinook, 31 coho and seven pinks.

Checks on Saturday at Ediz Hook in Port Angeles showed 88 boats with 194 anglers caught 71 chinook, 16 coho and 137 pinks; and Sunday 65 boats with 145 anglers caught 151 pinks, 28 chinook and eight coho.

A similar catch at the Port Angeles West ramp on Saturday had 44 boats with 105 anglers caught 21 chinook, 12 coho and 101 pinks.

The average size of the kings was about 8 to 12 pounds, and the current leading king at Swain’s in Port Angeles is a 32 pounder. Reports from Sekiu also showed a fair number of kings in the 20 to 28 pound range. .... http://blogs.seattletimes.com/reeltimeno...syndication=rss
Posted by: Fishyfeller

Re: Strait of Juan de Fuca loaded with kings and pinks - 07/09/13 11:56 PM

I can verify there is tons of pinks. I caught about 20 of them myself Saturday. It seems like the number should be higher then 137 pinks with 44 boats. Guess I am the unfortunate one that catches to many pinks and not enough Kings and Cohos.