Fished the green river yesterday

Posted by: fishenfool

Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 11:41 AM

was looking for Silvers, is the Icy Creek Hatchery where the silvers are headed??? I use to fish up there for Steelies, but thought the hatchery was closed, but that was 30 years ago...
Went to the lot at the take out near Hway 18 and walked down river, boots (Kings and Pinks)were being caught by the flossers, on both sides, observed the gang fishing the mouth of Soos creek catching and the 3 guys fishing below casting across flossing some fish. I fished the sand bar area using standard with eggs(nothing) then put on a skirtted Mepps with single hook and caught a pink and snagged another ugly. Then the thunder and rain, stuck around til my back could take no more. Is flossing legal??? I know that we purists (old timers) don't, but they were catching fish that were stacked below and around the Soos mouth.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 11:56 AM

I think the Silvers are heading to the Kanasket Palmer hatchery? I'm not sure if it's still in operation? But they have to swim by IC.

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 12:02 PM

Scratch that! I believe I'm thinking of the Steelhead hatchery. The Salmon Hatchery is down lower in the river, around Soos Creek (hwy 18)
Posted by: RB3

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 12:33 PM

The keta crk hatchery pumps out coho. Palmer ponds is closed and I believe Icy creek is Chinooks.
Posted by: milt roe

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 01:07 PM

Flossing highly concentrated hatchery fish. The new face of sport fishing. Seems to be where the majority of the freshwater effort is focussed anymore. Sad.

The worst thing about this IMO are the folks who take their kids out and teach them how to snag/floss for the meat instead of for the challenge of enticing a voluntary take by the fish. Our next generation of advocates for protecting the resource and carrying on the angling tradition.
Posted by: fishenfool

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 01:11 PM

Thanks, was not sure if it was operating, drive by it on my way up to FG for winter steel head fishing. Saw some silvers swim buy while wading below 18 yesterday. Have not fished for salmon in rivers since the early 80's. Always got them in the salt, but due to my boat being down during prime time my freezer has lots of room.
Posted by: Rag N Steel

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 01:35 PM

They head to soose bunch of boots at the mouth with the tweeker snaggers. checked it out last week I would stay lower in the river for the better quality fish.
Posted by: Vasiliy

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 05:51 PM

The Soos hatchery gets around 40-50k hatchery coho back and the upper river hatchery (keta creek) operated by the natives puts them out too.

Keep in mind that you can not use bait either on the stretch from 277th to the Auburn Black Diamond Rd bridge until the 16th of October so eggs are a no-no.

I would also concentrate lower between Tukwila and Kent, you can use bait and hardware no problem and the fish will be much brighter.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 06:21 PM

40-50K seems a bit high based on the previous years escapement reports.
Last year was 33K, but most years have averaged 10-20K coho back back to the Soos creek hatchery.

Lots of folks fish at the mouth of Keta creek catching zombie silvers and chums even though the regs clearly state you can't do so.
SF

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 10:57 PM

Is Keta Creek just up river from Metzler?
Posted by: RB3

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/09/13 11:33 PM

Yes, there a sign to the hatchery. Most fish are 5-7lbs out of there
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/10/13 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: stonefish
folk fish at the mouth of Keta creek catching zombie silvers and chums even though the regs clearly state you can't do so

Who would stoop so low!

Perfect rookie center-pinning water BTW grin

c/22
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Fished the green river yesterday - 10/10/13 10:30 AM

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
Originally Posted By: stonefish
folk fish at the mouth of Keta creek catching zombie silvers and chums even though the regs clearly state you can't do so

Who would stoop so low!

Perfect rookie center-pinning water BTW grin

c/22

grin I forgot about that.....