Queets Land Sale?

Posted by: WaFlyCaster

Queets Land Sale? - 12/06/13 06:23 PM

Queets Land Sale Article

Kinda confused by this. The queets originates in the national park and then enters the Quinault Reservation before terminating at the Pacific Ocean. Which means either this article is incorrect or the Tribe is selling some land?

My guess its timber land in the Queets drainage basin on the Clearwater River and the article is incorrect? The nature conservancy has purchased land on the Clearwater in the past.

Anyone else heard of this? Any ideas.
Posted by: Kyle_A

Re: Queets Land Sale? - 12/06/13 06:34 PM

The Queets runs in and out of the Park, above the res, and is bordered by private property in some areas. Let's hope it doesn't end up like the Snoqualmie Tree farm where we the taxpayer foot the bill, then are charged exhorbitant admission fees so that our "public" lands are available only to the elitists who can afford it.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Queets Land Sale? - 12/06/13 06:39 PM

I'm pretty sure the entire Queets River that's not in the Rez is in the ONP...but not much of it on the lower river, so far as the width of the ONP lands containing the river.

Maybe they're buying some of the uplands just outside the ONP on the lower river? Otherwise, like you said, there is a lot of private land all along the Clearwater and it could be up that way.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: WaFlyCaster

Re: Queets Land Sale? - 12/06/13 07:15 PM

Todd you are correct the river above rez is entirely in the national park, except for a small sliver just above the bridge which is tribal, hence why the NPS issues seasons/regs within that stretch of the queets and not WDFW.
Posted by: Slab

Re: Queets Land Sale? - 12/06/13 07:56 PM

The Nature Consevancy purchaced over 3 k acres of private timberland on the lower Clearwater in 2011. As long as they don't deny access I would think it a good thing, except a lot of it was recently logged with minimal riparian set backs.
http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/reg...ter-river-1.xml
Posted by: Moravec

Re: Queets Land Sale? - 12/06/13 09:22 PM

"Along the Queets" is lawyer talk... probably along the CW... If you've ever drove the Clearwater Road and witnessed the extreme logging practices close to the river, you would aggre that the watershed needs as much protection as possible. The Nature Conservancy & Paul Allen won't pull the same douchey moves that Hancock has pulled with the SnoQ Tree Farm.
Posted by: Joe Merlot

Re: Queets Land Sale? - 12/06/13 10:02 PM

There is a 20 acre or something lot below the 101 bridge, that is white man property surrounded by rez. Long skinny lot, two boat launches, 400' of river front. You can hear the ocean.

A small river they call the Little Queets boarders the western edge.

Absolutely unlimited potential if you like to catch/kill your own chow.

Only white man river front lot I have heard of, could be wrong.
Posted by: Smalma

Re: Queets Land Sale? - 12/07/13 08:02 AM

I agree sounds like a tract/tracts along the Clearwater.

It would be great to tie up river frontage from future logging but not so sure about "The Nature Conservancy & Paul Allen won't pull the same douchey moves that Hancock has pulled with the SnoQ Tree Farm."

On the Skagit and mouth of the Stillaguamish there are chunks of Nature Conservative lands that provide good ecosystem benefits but where access or fishing and hunting is severely limited or prohibited.

Curt