19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic

Posted by: Phoenix77

19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/21/14 10:51 AM

http://www.murray.senate.gov/public/_cac...pager-final.pdf
Posted by: COOPDUCK

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/21/14 11:21 AM

Not sure all of Patty's rivers meet the criteria to be on the list. Whoops. Better get some more budget appropriated to have your staff scrub the list again. Or use Google Earth. Wikipedia. The library.
Posted by: kalamageo

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/21/14 12:16 PM

Does this mean the dam on the Nooch is coming down? beer

…..
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/21/14 12:49 PM

I'd like to think it would make a difference, but let's consider that much of the Skagit, all of the Sauk and Suiattle Rivers have been in the W & S system for over 30 years. The USFS is the W & S management agency. It took them over 10 years to prepare a W & S management plan, and under that plan they basically allow every single activity that occurred without the plan, only now you have to get a USFS permit. They have limited the number of eagle watching tour guides, but not the number of fishing guides. They make eagle tour floats wait until 10 AM to launch, to reduce eagle disturbance, but not fishermen launch times. As a practical matter, I can't see that the Skagit W & S designation has left the basin any better or worse off than it would have been without the designation. The OP rivers won't be "saved" by high quality political lip service. Consequently I'm doubtful that Murray actually understands W & S legislation well enough to list its tangible benefits.

Sg
Posted by: Salman

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/21/14 09:05 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it.
Posted by: Eric

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/21/14 09:06 PM

Quote:
Establishes a 1/4-mile corridor on both sides of the river representing the zone of management focus; any changes to public land management practices are made with the full input of local residents and stakeholders without giving the federal government control over private property.

Mmmmm…..could create quite a change of scenery on some of these listed rivers, especially in their lower sections.
Posted by: Misguided

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/21/14 09:40 PM

Remember the old adage " whatever the government touches turns to [Bleeeeep!]"
let it remind us when they (politicians) spout all the grand things they can create, like jobs (like Owebamacare)!!!!
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/22/14 09:49 AM

free-flowing.......Wynoochee River???????? Don't think so!!!!!!!
Posted by: swingfisher

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/22/14 01:09 PM

take it from a long time Whitewater boater. wild and scenic = your access curtailed. there is zero benefit here fort people that actually use the river. if it took sleds off some of the smaller systems i would consider supporting with some reservation.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/23/14 01:05 PM

Key word to screw with dreams......."stake holders"........aka, "It ain't mine, but I own it."......aka, "Another FreeBee? Cool! Sign me up!"
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/23/14 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: FishPrince
If they didn't stake a claim, post it and record it with the county, why is their "stake" taken into consideration?

Oh, I think outside interests should be heard and weighed accordingly, but that is not what happens.....key word.....accordingly.
Posted by: Met'lheadMatt

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/23/14 04:52 PM

My question, is doesn't wild and scenic restrict the use of all motors on those rivers, and would this also apply to the tribes, since it is federal legislation and not state. If so, sign me up
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/23/14 06:20 PM

Matt,

No, and no.

Sg
Posted by: Wild Chrome

Re: 19 Rivers on Oly Penn to be Wild & Scenic - 01/24/14 12:50 AM

The thing most restricted by Wild & Scenic status is development. Some of Oregon's best fisheries are Wild and Scenic rivers, including the Deschutes, N Umpqua, and Rogue.