Aluminum Hull Cleaning

Posted by: wntrrn

Aluminum Hull Cleaning - 01/24/14 07:22 PM

In 1 summer of heavy saltwater use, my boat needs a good cleaning and some sharkhide. I subbed a slip at Shilshole last summer and left it in for a couple weeks at a time. I'd like to get her back to semi-new and then SharkHide it. I don't want to polish it to a mirror shine like some boats out there. I'd rather just get it back to that new brushed look.

What she used to look like and what she looks now. Any suggestions? Or, know anyone who does this work? I can have it done in Portland for less than a grand and 3 Rivers said they knew someone but it'd be closer to 2k.

Posted by: snit

Re: Aluminum Hull Cleaning - 01/24/14 07:47 PM

I did it myself...ONCE! Never again....spend the cash or get a full wrap is my advice...
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Aluminum Hull Cleaning - 01/25/14 11:40 AM

Zep-a-lume and a pressure washer...
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: Aluminum Hull Cleaning - 01/25/14 01:54 PM

Well the best way is the day after pulling the boat is spray the area of the hull affected with 50 / 50 bleach & water, let set for about a half hour and pressure wash. You can hire a guy that runs around polishing hulls and get rid of the stain left but it comes right back once your moored in the water. Anti fouling paint for the areas of the hull submerged is the only permanent fix and it will only last a few years ( depending on the number of months moored and usage ) before a redo.

Part of owning a boat.
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: Aluminum Hull Cleaning - 01/25/14 02:20 PM

Is some light pitting to be expected?

No, I'm not new to this game. I zinc my boats with the right zincs but we all know salt is a killer on any boat. I just want to protect it the best I can so that it doesn't slowly turn into a POS over the next 10 years.

When talking to people about aluminum boats and the affects of saltwater, or how best to protect the boat, you get a different answer from every person you talk to. Trying to figure out the best way to go about this without damaging my most expensive toy.