Edge Oars by North fork composit

Posted by: fishnbear

Edge Oars by North fork composit - 01/28/14 06:15 PM

Anybody out there, using these oars yet, I saw them at the sportsman show. There a super nice light oar, what I would like to know is how are they holding up? I would like some input, if I could..
Posted by: Bantam

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 01/28/14 10:28 PM

Heard good things about them. Im know Orygun Archer like his, tho he did break one and had edge rapidly get him new ones.
MK broke one as well...they're graphite! Oars take a beating sometimes... what happens when youre graphite rod takes a hit from another rod or a tree, maybe a rock? It gets fractured!

For $750 a shaft ill just keep my fiberflex shafts and dynalites and not get shafted on buying a set and a spare... keep in mind too those edge shafts are quite a bit narrower than your standard sawyer or cataract shafts.
Posted by: Tjay

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 01/28/14 11:23 PM

Sawyer square tops! The best
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 01/29/14 12:33 AM

Sounds like I'll stick with my sawyer mxg's.Good luck,

SZ

Go Hawks......
Posted by: swingfisher

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 01/31/14 06:26 PM

why composite? seems to me wood is lighter rows better, is plenty strong and the blades float.
Posted by: steelhead_stalkers

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/01/14 03:00 AM

Wood is no where near as light as composite unless your using balsa wood. laugh I felt some of the Edge shafts yesterday and they were lighter than some salmon rods I'v fished! I'm not sure how they will hold up but the brief time I rowed with them it was shocking how nice they felt.

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/01/14 11:11 AM

lighter doesn't matter if they are blade heavy.
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/01/14 12:33 PM

We've put 3-4 yrs on our FishRite carbon fiber (357 Mag) 2 lbs a piece oars with no complaints other than $$$$

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/01/14 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: swingfisher
lighter doesn't matter if they are blade heavy.

Pro-Loks have new blades that are lighter than any others out there and they pair them with Edge shafts. Perfect balance!

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/01/14 01:25 PM

fair enough. where do they balance in the locks. my experience with composite is that they are lighter overall but balance poorly and are terrible feeling on the water. i too am in the market for new oars. i like the low maintenance of composite just never liked rowing them

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/01/14 11:10 PM

I am not an expert having only rowed them for about 10 minutes a few weeks. I would get a hold of the pro-loks owner and I'm sure he can get you all the info on weight as well as balance point with the new shafts/blades.

My first impression was how amazing they felt. I have felt other composite shafts in the past and thought they felt like a tip heavy fishing rod. The boat I rowed had the edge shafts with Sawyer blades and it felt really nice, I am sure the new pro-lok blades would make it balance even better. Let us know what you find out if you do talk to them?
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/02/14 10:45 AM

Saw them also. If you like the oar lock concept, other options exist with any oar. I bought "Power Pull" oar locks from Don Hill in 96 for my cataracts. Not sure if he still is in business? But the tight fit and efficient roll sure makes them nice. Rick Johnson RIP, sold an original style at his Kalama shop for Willie back in the 80's. My bro still has them on his boat. Tried to get them from the machinist who made them but was cost prohibitive for one pair.
Posted by: oregonarcher

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/02/14 11:43 PM

I have rowed them for a while. So far I like them. Im hard on stuff. Light row great and with the PRO-LOKS system are super efficient. For those who scull and stand to row a lot, work great. I broke an oar, but I crushed it. These oars will handle rock hits, and abuse.

Currently you can get them with Sawyer DYNA-LITES. Great blade. Dan Little just designed a new blade. It lighter then the DYNA LITE and floats. Its this so it will cut well and is a modified shoal. Designed for daily rowing, but like a shoal cut blade shines in thin water.
Posted by: Bantam

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/02/14 11:49 PM

When will you be giving me the report of usage on the new pro-lok blades?
Posted by: RogueBum

Re: Edge Oars by North fork composit - 02/03/14 05:08 PM

I would think that a composite graphite or carbon fiber would be incredibly brittle on impact. I can't tell you how many rocks I "tap" on any given float. I would be pretty scared to drop that kind of money on something that wasn't Sawyer or wood.