Best BITE….

Posted by: eyeFISH

Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 01:49 AM

Not all fish are created equal. From a culinary standpoint, there is arguably no finer locally-caught salmon than an upriver CR chinook. When it comes to rich flavor and oil content, other fish just CAN'T compare on a consistent basis.

But to take it even a step further, there are clearly variations in the meat quality within a singular fish. The tail, belly, back, collar, cheeks all have a unique texture and flavor. Even on a whole collar, there are 4 distinct types of meat present…. that prime melt-in-your-mouth back medallion, the less oily para-vertebral midline meat, the ultra-greasy butterball belly meat, and the pectoral muscles stuffed in the bony nooks/crannies of the collar.

If you could only have ONE bite of the ENTIRE salmon, from what part of the fish would that most savory morsel originate?
Posted by: larryb

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 01:58 AM

I like the meat just in front of tail
Posted by: FishNg1

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 02:07 AM

Mine would originate in your kitchen, your salmon is always superb.......although it is mostly the collar or the belly sections.
Posted by: cncfish

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 08:08 AM

Tail wrist, or belly. but maybe that's because as the cook I can remove these parts first so they never make to the table. every buddy else gets the thick parts.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 08:14 AM

belly
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 08:45 AM

back medallion on collar
Posted by: cohoangler

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 11:06 AM

I almost never agree with anything that 2Many says. But not this time. He has it exactly right.
Posted by: fshwithnoeyes

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 11:11 AM

Belly > pec fin (salmon wings!) > collar
Posted by: gregsalmon

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 11:48 AM

Belly for me. Tailpiece for ease of eating or cooking, no bones

I do not agree concerning the URB thing. To me any salmon must be caught in saltwater to be edible.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 11:53 AM

Back medallion or piece of belly fillet.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 12:46 PM

Collar or belly
Posted by: Swifty27

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 01:09 PM

tongue > laces > sole
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 01:33 PM

I'll throw an x-factor into the mix and say it depends on the cut of the fish. If cut into steaks, I find the back sections to be really good. The backbone provides more of that goodness that only comes from cooking stuff bone-in. If filleted, I like a bite more or less from the middle of the fillet, just north of the belly, especially if pan seared. If I've got a big enough fish, I'll remove the membrane that covers the inside of the belly sections so the delicious, fatty flesh beneath can take on some of that delicate crunch from the sear. In that scenario, the belly is "king."
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 01:39 PM

Belly.Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 01:59 PM

Smoked with rattlesnake dust added...makes it ALL good.
Posted by: N W Panhandler

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 02:01 PM

I'm a complete glutten, any part will do, prefer spring kings from anywhere.......
Posted by: Dub

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 02:22 PM

I am not much of a fish eater and prefer the tail for no bones and uniform thickness when cooking.
Posted by: OceanSun

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 03:15 PM

Belly but only from a big fish with thick, fat belly walls. Get a little crispy going on a HOT grill but still doesn't dry it out - delish!
Posted by: JTD

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 03:53 PM

It seems as if I am obviously in a minority since I always choose a tail section- firm, uniform and no bones.

You guys can fight over the bellies and collars all you want.

smile
Posted by: Kramer

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Collar or belly

Put your hands together. smile
Posted by: Eric

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 07:07 PM

Belly….for the reasons 2few just described.
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 10:44 PM

Ovaries
Posted by: Sleddddder

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/15/14 11:54 PM

Too tough to decide, can you bring me one Doc for another taste test?
Posted by: cruzn99

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/16/14 12:11 AM

tail wrist
Posted by: JesseM

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/16/14 12:19 AM

Collar smoked by f4b along with a cold alaskan amber
Posted by: Salmo_Gairdneri

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/16/14 11:24 PM

The roe reigns supreme but unfortunately I rarely want to keep fish ripe enough for that to be ideal. Beyond that, I don't know how you discuss anything beyond the collar for most fish I catch, however I understand including the belly on thicker fish.

-S
Posted by: Jaydee

Re: Best BITE…. - 04/17/14 12:08 AM

The bled-quickly gutted and iced forward section of belly with attached lower collar/peck-fin joint of a june ocean adult chinook, which happens to be months away from its estuary destination that's also day-caught and grilled with nothing but sea water to cleanse the piece. "The separation is in the preparation." No shame is sucking the goo out of the peck-joint of said fish too, fyi. smile The goo might be the best "bite".