kokanee on lake stevens

Posted by: rotten jeff

kokanee on lake stevens - 04/16/14 12:05 PM

Is it too early yet for lake stevens kokanee? Fish jumping all over but no biters.
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/16/14 12:56 PM

Just moved to Lk Stevens. NW corner of the lake. Pretty cool to be able to walk out on the dock and jump in the boat. Trolling has been very slow, maybe a grab every couple hours.

I sent you a PM.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/16/14 01:02 PM

Could it be rainbows rather then Kokanee you are seeing rise?
All the lakes I've been fishing are having some pretty outstanding chironomid hatches right now.
SF
Posted by: rotten jeff

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/16/14 01:07 PM

There kokanee for sure nice bright fish.
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/16/14 01:09 PM

They're Kokanee. Been catching them on the fly rod with intermediate Outbound and 2" pink clousers or crazy charlies. Same flies I'd use for humpies in the salt. Same strip.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/16/14 01:17 PM

Cool. Kokanee on the bug rod sounds like a fun deal.
Posted by: Smalma

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/16/14 01:45 PM

Expect to see spotty kokanee fishing on Stevens for another 10 days to two weeks. Same drill every year.

The fishing will slowly improve over that period. Currently there are quite a few fish on the surface but the bite is sporadic. It will be dead of several hours with a short bite. Once the phytoplankton and following daphnia bloom you should find more consistent fishing.

On still afternoons the kokanee will key on emerging chironomids but it can be tricky fly fishing (they are both spooky and quick).

Curt
Posted by: Coho

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/16/14 01:51 PM

Fished last Friday with my boy. No biters trolling. Tried on top since saw a few schools milling. Notta. I am learning how to catch some kokes-

pm me too wntrrn if you have any suggestions.--Thanks Curt

Posted by: Coho

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/16/14 02:47 PM

Well done Redd
The Bimi is same color as the cover, yes canvas. It has saved our hide a few times in the "heat" and kept us dry in the soakers. It has zip on for bow stern and port and sides-with window (plastic)
I am certain there are after market that can customize to you boat.

Fish on
Posted by: RognSue

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/17/14 12:13 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/h...275974946_n.jpg
Rotten Chum water sample...Trifecta... 7 kokes 1 rainbow 1 cut wed. am. Lk Stevens (thru back the 2 troot)
Posted by: ondarvr

Re: kokanee on lake stevens - 04/17/14 09:56 PM

I was with RognnotSue.

We also had more than a dozen that didn't stay hooked. We fished the morning and then went to Buzz Inn to eat, not a bad day.