Final Winter run........

Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Final Winter run........ - 04/16/14 07:03 PM

Well it's that time of year again for my annual winter run season essay. Let's start out by saying this has been my worst winter run steelhead season I can remember........as far as totals. However it was a fun ride and the totals really didn't matter cuz we are world champs.So due to the low water and no show of the brats in late November thru January I really didn't get out. My time was taken up by the awesome play-off run by our "Hawks" so this made it real easy to hang back and attend the home play-off's and even superbowl in NY. Well worth it from what I heard out on the street. This was the first year I didn't even fish my favorite month of February..............really seriously didn't even wet a line...........Sad stuff right there. So here it goes,
Only made 10 trips this season on 7 different rivers. Hooked 16 landed 15. 94% hook to land ratio. 4 O'fer trips. Best day I was 5 for 5 and the biggest of the season is now my avatar.Say what ya want......but when it came to winter steelhead this season Oregon kicked our ass for numbers.............but never in size.Lol.The bait of choice seemed to be yarn and more yarn weather in a rag or a yarnie.........yarn was the theme for me this year.Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: eugene1

Re: Final Winter run........ - 04/16/14 09:42 PM

SZ,

Not too shabby.. you caught some steel and saw your team win the SB. Oh yeah, and your hook/land ratio makes it seem like you sold your soul.

Awesome,
Posted by: oregonarcher

Re: Final Winter run........ - 04/16/14 11:33 PM

Wish we could of got you here, but that damn rain didn't cooperate. Next year and we will get that ratio even better.

Oregon was good all year, but you are right, seems thats that OP produces the hogs.

As for salmon....
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Final Winter run........ - 04/17/14 12:12 PM

Kyle, We tried three times....just wasn't to be this season. Next season we'll rock it.So far your springers are kicking ass in size.......Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: big moby

Re: Final Winter run........ - 04/17/14 05:59 PM

SZ, Always enjoy the write up.