Lightweight Wading Boot

Posted by: Direct-Drive

Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/26/14 07:55 PM

Looking for a lightweight wading boot that is still somewhat light AFTER IT'S WET.
I have some Columbia Sportswear boots now that are light when dry but heavy, heavy dogs when wet.
I'm packing in/out so weight is an important component.

Can anyone vouch for a boot that will meet that requirement ?

Not into the newfangled laceups such as one of the Simms products.
Just a conventional design is wanted.
Posted by: supcoop

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/26/14 09:06 PM

What about the cheapo hodge man canvas like boots? I like the cabelas boots a lot for hiking in (used to put 6 to 10 miles a day on them for work). Don't think they get too heavy.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/26/14 09:17 PM

Simms Headwaters
You should find some bargains on them as they were recently replaced by the Rock Creek model.
The Headwaters are something like 38oz for a pair of size 10. Some of the Guide model boots are approaching 60oz for a pair of size 10...... Then add water.
If you do a lot of hiking the lighter weight of the Headwaters is very nice.
I've used my for two year, mostly in the salt and they've held up extremely well for only costing $99.00 at the time.
I'd buy them again.
SF
Posted by: Brad_tgl

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/26/14 11:19 PM

Been hiking the rivers in the Simms Headwaters for a number of years. Good deal.
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/27/14 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Brad_tgl
Been hiking the rivers in the Simms Headwaters for a number of years. Good deal.

and when he says hiking, he means hiking.
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/27/14 12:39 AM

The new Redington Palix river is an amazingly light boot as well.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/27/14 01:03 AM

I have the Redington Skagits in felt. Very light, dry and wet. Nice and soft while wading, which provides excellent grip, but provide good support while walking the banks. Can tell they won't last half as long as Simms Guide model, but they're pretty good all around for the price. Had Simms Headwaters before. Those were pretty good, too.
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/27/14 03:04 AM

I've had a pair of Patagonia Ultralight wading boots for two seasons now and use them exclusively for longer hiking missions. In that context they have done well.

After 6 or 7 pairs of Patagonia boots that wore out far too soon I've given up on them for daily work boots and now use the Simms Guide boots, but for the occasional longer hiking mission the Patagucci ultralights haven't let me down yet.
Posted by: GodLovesUgly

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/27/14 05:05 PM

I'll catch flack for this, but I would stay away from the Redington stuff.

I wore a pair of Sonic-pro waders with their "nicest" boot professionally last season, and they didn't even make it 6 months. The Sonic pro waders lost their seams, and the boots COMPLETELY fell to pieces.

Simms.

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/27/14 08:12 PM

Thanks for the leads !

On these hauls the wet boots are in the backpack.
If I hauled two beers in, it seems my pack weight would be about the same both ways.
Those wet Columbias are heavy dogs and need to go.

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/27/14 09:48 PM

Gets some of those super lightweight flats wading boots, then shoe-goo Scotch scrubbie pads on the soles.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/27/14 10:32 PM

Twitch describes the lightest option, but those don't offer much support for hiking and wading gravel-cobble rivers. The Patagonias are among the lightest (and most comfortable), but my experience with 3 or 4 pair is that they don't last near long enough to amortize their cost. The Simms Freestones are a bit lighter than the Headwaters, I've been wearing those a bit over the last year.

Sg
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/27/14 10:38 PM

SG,
Other way around as I have both the Headwaters and the Freestones. The Headwaters are lighter.
SF
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 08/28/14 11:47 AM

Maybe it's the Headwaters I have then. Senior moment and CRS.
Posted by: thaxor

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 09/02/14 03:08 AM

I bought some Simms Rivershed after reading reviews online... (good reviews) worst frickin' boots ever made. They're 62oz @ size 10 (I have size 13) and I can't lace them up tight at all.

Anyone want to buy a pair for cheap after that glowing review?

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 09/02/14 09:58 AM

The Rivertek is the lightest " boot "made by Simms.

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 09/02/14 09:55 PM

Appreciate all of the good advice...went with the Headwaters (phased out and hard to find).
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 09/03/14 04:55 PM

The solution is clear. If you packed in more beer, then your pack would feel lighter on the walk out. Provided you drank them all on the river.

Plus you might feel lighter headed provided you drank the same amount of beer (liquid weight) as wet wading boots weigh.

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 09/03/14 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocket Red
The solution is clear. If you packed in more beer, then your pack would feel lighter on the walk out. Provided you drank them all on the river.

Plus you might feel lighter headed provided you drank the same amount of beer (liquid weight) as wet wading boots weigh.

Doh !
Why didn't I think of that!

Once all the beer and ice is gone, It'll be like walking on cloud.
And I'll be all happy-faced while doing it.

Need to cancel that order.

grin
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 09/03/14 10:01 PM

Keep the order and make room for more beer.

Re: Lightweight Wading Boot - 09/03/14 10:29 PM

Good ideas.

Cold beer is a precious commodity up there.
Cold beer served by scantily clad, lovely women would fetch a handsome price.

The mind boggles.

"Dood, yer naked !"

"Yeah, I ran out of money and traded my Simms waders (and pretty much everything else) for one more ice cold beer to the beer women."