Night Fishing Lighting Tips (Squid)

Posted by: CShreds

Night Fishing Lighting Tips (Squid) - 10/04/14 07:48 PM

What I have: A 300 watt clamp light.

What I need: A cheap way to power the light on piers around the Seattle area.

I'm trying to fish for the squid the proper way, which means using a light to penetrate the surface of the water and attract more of those little guys. The issue is this; I've been having problems finding information on how to power a clamp light with a regular two prong ac chord. I see people with batteries but you obviously can't just hook an ac chord up to the +- inputs on the car/marine battery. A power inverter would work but apparently it would drain the battery in under 2 hours (not nearly enough time to catch a lot of squid).

Any information on night fishing lighting for relatively cheap would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for something cheap and effective, piers are bright but generally not bright enough to really attract the schools.

Thanks,
Colin
Posted by: Irie

Re: Night Fishing Lighting Tips (Squid) - 10/22/14 12:00 AM

Good luck...on this board.

Try squidfishingwa.com

From what I've read, a small generator kept back off the pier with a long cord is a preferred method when the outlets are corroded and shot to hell. Some of those guys use some bright-ass halogen or sodium lighting. I suppose I could bring in my 4kw generator and really light it up, but I don't know if the excess noise would be worth it. Other than that I am as in the dark as you are. Pun intended.
Posted by: docspud

Re: Night Fishing Lighting Tips (Squid) - 10/22/14 11:30 AM

1. Grab an extension cord from home depot.
2. Grab a marine plug/adapter at same depot if they have them in stock or any boating store(West marine).
3. Cut the extension cord.
4. Wire the marine plug to said cord.
5. Wait for moonless night with good tides(high always produces more squid for me).
6. Bring bucket/beer/rods/jigs/smoke(if your into that)
7. Plug cord directly to shore power on the dock and into your shop light.
8. Fill said bucket with squid.
9. Clean squid.
10. Flash fry.(don't over cook)
11. Open good dark beer.
13. Eat squid
14. Smoke/drink a little more
15. See if the old lady is in the mood(she wasn't)
16. Put on movie
17. Fall asleep before get through previews
Posted by: ballardbrad

Re: Night Fishing Lighting Tips (Squid) - 10/22/14 03:25 PM

I haven't been out this year but I just bought a Bait Snake http://www.baitsnake.com/#!testimonials/chsu with a 40' cord. Low power draw and works with any 12v battery. Got it more to use off my kayak but the longer cord will be great off piers where there's limited lighting.