Birth control pills threaten fish populations

Posted by: Phoenix77

Birth control pills threaten fish populations - 10/16/14 12:28 AM

Birth control pills threaten fish populations, study warns

The lead researcher of a new study is calling for improvements to some of Canada’s waste water treatment facilities after finding that introducing the birth control pill in waterways created a chain reaction in a lake ecosystem that nearly wiped out a freshwater fish.

The study, which was being published in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B on Monday, found that introducing small amounts of estrogen into a lake led to the near extinction of the fathead minnow because it interfered with the fish’s ability to reproduce.

Lead researcher Karen Kidd of the University of New Brunswick said the study has been ongoing since the late 1990s, when researchers in the United Kingdom discovered that male fish began to develop eggs when estrogen was introduced in their habitat.

Kidd said their study set out to build on that research to determine whether the estrogen would .... http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1243...ons-study-warns
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Birth control pills threaten fish populations - 10/16/14 12:33 AM

I read somewhere it is the most prevalent compound detected in the Willamette here in Orygun.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Birth control pills threaten fish populations - 10/16/14 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Twitch
I read somewhere it is the most prevalent compound detected in the Willamette here in Orygun.

That would be from one of my ex girlfriends. Something something about hoes and housewives...