Christmas Island Trip Report

Posted by: Dave Vedder

Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 08:52 AM

We were there the week before Christmas. - Seemed appropriate.

Our first evening there we enjoyed a fine sunset and the usual yellowfin tuna appetizers.

We started out trolling for Wahoo with both conventional tackle and flies. Dave was stoked to get his first ever Wahoo on a fly rod.

The Wahoo were abundant and willing biters

But those teethe soon destroyed both of my Marauders

And one Wahoo met a fish with just as sharp teeth.

Wahoo were a hoot but what we really came for were GTs. We started by tossing poppers into the surf.

Dave immediately hooked what we think was s the biggest GT of the trip, but he simply could not keep it out of the rocks and it sawed him off.

Wee hooked several more casting poppers, but nothing nearly as large as Dave’s first.

Next we hit the flats for bones, GT, blue Travelly and whatever we could find.

There were a ton of sea birds in the area including the most Frigate birds I have ever seen.

There were six tuna boats in the harbor. We talked to the skipper of a small ship. He told us he had 3,000,000 pounds aboard.

One of many highlights was the Christmas party. We had a hoot. Really fun to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Island.

The above are all from my camera. I will post Dave's photos once I get them.
Posted by: fp

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 09:16 AM

Looks like a great time.

Thanks,

fp
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 10:36 AM

Thank you for sharing the pics. You and Killer Dave killed it! Who says Cougars can't fish?
Posted by: Excitable Bob

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 10:52 AM

Thanks for sharing your trip, look amazing!

Posted by: ColeyG

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 10:54 AM

Outanding gentlemen! Great fish, great photos.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 12:04 PM

Tropical fishing looks like the perfect diversion to a PNW winter. Thanks for sharing Dave.

Sg
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 12:50 PM

Another great adventure !
Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: RB3

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 01:10 PM

Looks like a blast. Thanks for the report.
Posted by: Bent Metal

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 04:26 PM

Well done! Lucky Bastards......

I'd still rather be standing knee deep in a culmination of rain, sleet, and snow with leaking waders casting into the flat of a perfect tailout..... with the hope of catcing a winter run grin
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/27/14 07:22 PM

Well done.
Posted by: large edward

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/28/14 09:50 AM

GREAT pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/28/14 06:41 PM

Dandy pixels, Dave.

It's raining here....
Posted by: Moravec

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/28/14 07:00 PM

Jealous! Another great trip thanks for sharing!
Posted by: Sebastes

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/29/14 07:50 AM

I somehow missed Christmas Island several years ago, but seeing the photo of Dave & Dave reminded of another south seas adventure with the good Reverend Vedder. This flower laden photo was taken on Falalop Island, Ulithi Atoll several years ago. Ulithi is a short plane ride from Yap.
Posted by: Beezer

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/29/14 08:25 AM

That was fun even without being there, thanks Dave!
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/29/14 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Sebastes
I somehow missed Christmas Island several years ago, but seeing the photo of Dave & Dave reminded of another south seas adventure with the good Reverend Vedder. This flower laden photo was taken on Falalop Island, Ulithi Atoll several years ago. Ulithi is a short plane ride from Yap.

Ah yes, I do remember Ulithi fondly. Asking the king's permission to fish, all those topless ladies, bettle nut chewing, and great dances. Thanks Doug!

Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/29/14 07:42 PM

excellent report. You sure have a way of making a guys bucket list get bigger with each year Dave!
Posted by: dwatkins

Re: Christmas Island Trip Report - 12/29/14 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
Originally Posted By: Sebastes

Ah yes, I do remember Ulithi fondly. Asking the king's permission to fish, all those topless ladies, bettle nut chewing, and great dances. Thanks Doug!

what dreams are made of. Who cares about the fishing!