Plastic Filled Fish Gut

Posted by: WN1A

Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/26/15 02:25 PM

A Chilliwack River steelhead fisherman lost is appetite for a steelhead dinner when he cleaned his catch.

Plastic Filled Fish Gut

If a hatchery fish had this in its gut what might the wild fish which spend more time in the ocean have in their gut.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/26/15 03:27 PM

It'll smoke up just fine. BTW.....they hit plastic plugs all the time.... Lol. Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/26/15 03:37 PM

Apparently high seas research is showing that the ingestion of plastics is killing steelhead in the ocean. It certainly kills lots of seabirds.
Posted by: WN1A

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/26/15 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Apparently high seas research is showing that the ingestion of plastics is killing steelhead in the ocean. It certainly kills lots of seabirds.

High Seas research has definitely shown that steelhead ingest a significant amount of plastic. It does probably kill them but the only dead steelhead encountered in the ocean are the few killed for research purposes so one can only guess the impact. At the moment there is no high seas research but that may change. If there is a new international research program I know one scientist who thinks pollution, plastics, and their impact on salmon (particularly steelhead) should be a focus. The link below is the only publication addressing this I know of.

Ocean Plastic
Posted by: eugene1

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/26/15 08:08 PM

Sad to see F'n plastic in steelies!

Glad some people are investigating it, WN1A.
Posted by: OLD FB

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/26/15 08:46 PM

FWIW I watched a TV program the other day on Dish Network 197 "Pivot" Channel regarding the topics of plastics and their effects on our planet. Not related to Steelhead in particular but related to the toll plastics are taking on Midway Island and birds and fish in the ocean! Sad statement on the world today... The old saying of " Ignorance is bliss" pertains to this topic tonight!
Posted by: thaxor

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/26/15 10:11 PM

A friend of mine that volunteers w/ the Salmon Coalition pulled this from 3 fish in the bogi in late November.

Posted by: OnTheDrop

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/27/15 10:48 AM

Interesting. Just watched the "Super Size Me" guy on CNN do a documentary referencing this.

http://5gyres.org/what_is_the_issue/the_problem/
Posted by: OLD FB

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/27/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: OnTheDrop
Interesting. Just watched the "Super Size Me" guy on CNN do a documentary referencing this.

http://5gyres.org/what_is_the_issue/the_problem/
Great post as it was similar to the Pivot channel program from the other day that I watched! I especially loved the Vimeo piece "Plastic Sushi Anyone" Shaking my head...
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/27/15 01:47 PM

I know some folks who do necropsies of seabirds. It is close to impossible to find a dead seabird without plastic in its gut. Starving to dead with full digestive systems. Just not much nutrition in plastic.
Posted by: bk paige

Re: Plastic Filled Fish Gut - 02/27/15 02:54 PM

On the east coast some cities dump their garbage out in the Atlantic in deep water(NY i think).
Are there any on the Pacific side doing the same? If so this will be a problem centuries as it slowly comes up from the depths!
I caught a Sky summer run down low that had a feather a stick and a piece of orange tape in its gut.