Suddenly I don't feel so bad...

Posted by: eyeFISH

Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/28/15 10:26 PM

.... about taking my limit of 10 black rockfish the other day.

Cue up to about 5:30 to watch them haul that net aboard and empty it on deck. Industrial scale ocean mining doesn't even begin to describe it.
Posted by: Black Bart

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/28/15 11:06 PM

Assalotta fish. Who eats all dat stuff ?
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/28/15 11:26 PM

We do, Costco, Safeway, Top Foods, etc.
Posted by: bk paige

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/28/15 11:33 PM

Rape and pillage!!!
Posted by: cncfish

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 05:58 AM

was that sharks I saw attacking the ones falling out around 4:30?
Posted by: Swifty27

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 07:16 AM

I'm sure they were all promptly bled and iced.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 10:08 AM

Yeah no blood shot meat there.Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: SBD

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 11:57 AM

I'm guessing either a Aussie or European Factory Trawler with a 35tn catch so everything is processed onboard. The big market for redfish is Asian to go with their rice bowels. That bag needs work! I was cringing as it was distorting coming up the ramp, the bright orange globes about every 10 ft along the top are part of the net sensor system.
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 01:45 PM

I was thinking Atlantic as well. Were those salmon as bycatch?

Every year there is an auction of the Pollock roe taken from the West coast. Same thing going on here. beathead
Posted by: cohoangler

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 02:29 PM

Those fish look like orange roughy, which would make it New Zeland or Australia. If so, bottom trawling is the worst way to capture those fish. The otter doors tear up the habitat so that it can no longer support future stocks of orange roughy. Mining the ocean is exactly correct. Get'em once and they're done. Gone.

Just devastating.

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 03:11 PM

The silvery fish look more like a mackerel to me and can't call it bycatch without knowing the regulations for this area.

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 03:38 PM

True, perhaps Tongal tuna @12:25?

The fact remains that this method of harvest is unsustainable. 2cents

Much like the gillnets on the lower CR. Select for size of fish. Not if they are ESA listed.

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 03:52 PM

12:25 still doesn't look like a salmon and if you go to the you tube version it's an Icelandic FT. Whether or not it's sustainable I guess depends on how well its managed. 2cents

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 04:18 PM

It doesn't Matter if it is Dutch, Japanese, or American corporations. they are all looking for our public handout.

Management at the PFMC has been missing. The population change and efforts to restore salmon should be reflected to the home waters.
Posted by: TedR

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 06:31 PM

Mamma needs her fish sticks, no time for real food after a long night of soccer practice.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 07:03 PM

Surimi factories must be fed. Sad.
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/29/15 08:39 PM

People suck.... the future is phucked...

http://www.theguardian.com/global-develo...ion-in-pictures
Posted by: Bay wolf

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/30/15 08:55 AM

No worries. They released 5 fish for sustainability!

We, as a planet, are doomed!
Posted by: gooybob

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/30/15 01:43 PM

Pathetic. Isn't greed wonderful? What are all of the commercials and Indians going to do when they've fished everything out? Start netting birds?
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/30/15 03:39 PM

What I'd really like to know is how much of what gets harvested goes to waste. I know the processors don't waste much of anything, but how much fish rots in display cases before it can be sold? I bet it's not much less than 20%....
Posted by: cohoangler

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 04/30/15 04:07 PM

You can bet the waste is substantial. The fish at the bottom of the net got crushed by the weight of the fish above them, and cooked by the friction associated with dragging the heavy net on board. That's probably 20% loss right there......
Posted by: luckydogss

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 05/01/15 01:37 AM

There isn't much waste when those processors make surimi. Those fish are left to stiffen up in that bin the net is emptied into. Then they'll get processed and most every scrap is taken. The blood in the meat is "whitened" out. Yum!!

Those fish are definitely not from around here but it's the same process in AK. It's amazing to see hauls of fish like that and know it takes place in every ocean. Some are sustainable( for now) and some aren't but there's by-catch in every fishery and that is wasted. The fish are dead and thrown over for the crabs- makes no sense.
Posted by: SeaDNA

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 05/01/15 07:43 AM

From the youtube description - "Fishing in Iceland waters in the North Atlantic. Big catch of red fish hauled on board a freezing trawler. Documentary of fishing in the valuable water around Iceland."
Posted by: CedarR

Re: Suddenly I don't feel so bad... - 05/01/15 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: luckydogss
There isn't much waste when those processors make surimi. Those fish are left to stiffen up in that bin the net is emptied into. Then they'll get processed and most every scrap is taken. The blood in the meat is "whitened" out. Yum!!

My son had to take a video deposition on a surimi processor concerning a worker who had lost a finger while making fake crab. He stopped eating surimi after that assignment.