Kid is a STUD!

Posted by: eyeFISH

Kid is a STUD! - 05/10/15 11:47 PM

Yeah, I realize it's commercial fishin' and that they're low-holin' the home team....

BUT....

I can't help but acknowledge the hard work and effort put into harvesting and delivering a truly PREMIUM product.

These are hard workin' folks operating within what the law permits. Can't fault them for that. Beats the hell out of a trawl net or gillnet.
Posted by: OLD FB

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 10:08 AM

Good hard honest way to make a living there! You are correct a premium product with fish properly processed and iced down for storage! Nice!
Posted by: chasbo

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 11:53 AM

That "product" probably comes out better that leaving them in the trunk of the Caddy parked outside the tavern.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 01:29 PM

Nice product.....well taken care of.Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: Salmo_Gairdneri

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 07:30 PM

If I ever have to buy salmon, I sure hope I can find fish like that. That kid appears to be a hard working pro

-tony
Posted by: Keta

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 07:39 PM

That really brings back some fond memories.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 07:52 PM

I appreciate the way they take care of the fish, that's how it should be done. I wish Jack sold ice out of the hose like that in Chinook!

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 08:17 PM

I wanna know where a guy gets a holda some of them "shoe horn" king spoons.
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
I wanna know where a guy gets a holda some of them "shoe horn" king spoons.

Those are Superior spoons, very popular in S.E. AK among the commercial and some charter guys. I've used them and had some banner days with them.
I haven't seen them here in WA., most sporting goods stores or commercial fishing supply stores (Murray Pacific) in S.E. AK have them.
Ebay has a bunch of them.

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 09:57 PM

Thanks!
Posted by: Keta

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 10:25 PM

A strange thing about some of the commercial trolling gear is that the hot commercial gear isn't all that hot when sport fished. I tend to think that it has something to do with the quantity of gear in the water. Some gear works well when "schooled" together. It also depends on the bite. Gear that is easy to get and keep decent action with will get a lot of fish when the bit is on. Those are probably the lures that don't work so well sport fishing. When I was scratch fishing I threw in more finicky but effective gear ,like spinner cut herring behind a dodger or flasher for example. When the bite was on the spoons and plugs came out because you could run through the gear faster and stack a lot of fish. I didn't know any trollers that ran those Superior spoons in WA. Kind of like the Pixie spoons that are used a lot in Alaska but don't seem to work very well down here. Disclaimer: I was trolling back in the 70's&80's and keeping up with what the hot gear seemed to change on a seemly daily basis.
Posted by: luckydogss

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 05/11/15 10:37 PM

Seattle Marine/ Fishery Supply in Ballard has those "superior spoons" and tons of other trolling spoons. I trolled a 6" mother of pearl in Elliot Bay back in the days when you could fish there. Like plugs, little fish don't get hooked by 'em and when those hooks find a purchase, they stay hooked!

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 07/07/15 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Keta
A strange thing about some of the commercial trolling gear is that the hot commercial gear isn't all that hot when sport fished. I tend to think that it has something to do with the quantity of gear in the water. Some gear works well when "schooled" together. It also depends on the bite. Gear that is easy to get and keep decent action with will get a lot of fish when the bit is on. Those are probably the lures that don't work so well sport fishing. When I was scratch fishing I threw in more finicky but effective gear ,like spinner cut herring behind a dodger or flasher for example. When the bite was on the spoons and plugs came out because you could run through the gear faster and stack a lot of fish. I didn't know any trollers that ran those Superior spoons in WA. Kind of like the Pixie spoons that are used a lot in Alaska but don't seem to work very well down here. Disclaimer: I was trolling back in the 70's&80's and keeping up with what the hot gear seemed to change on a seemly daily basis.

Lo and behold, stuff that works... well... WORKS! The same silly fish caught by the SE-AK trollers eventually find their way to home waters.. and guess what... they still bite the same silly spoons!

And just so no one thinks it was a fluke, they bit my hangback hooch version of that 50/50 brass/copper Superior Spoon over and over again. Kings, silvers, and pinks... NONE were shy about grabbing the goods over the weekend.

DAD... do I really have to pose ONE MORE?

KUDOS to BathTubBob for adding another killer addition to my collection of bent metal. You'da'man, Bob!
Posted by: Jumbo

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 07/07/15 03:05 PM

That is a badass salt spoon setup. Can you share how you're rigging that?
Posted by: Salmo_Gairdneri

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 07/07/15 07:32 PM

Seems like the spoons get a hell of a lot better smiles down south here though - I'd say they work better!

Nice work.

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 07/07/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Jumbo
That is a badass salt spoon setup. Can you share how you're rigging that?

Be on the lookout within a near-future issue of SSJ

Re: Kid is a STUD! - 07/07/15 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmo_Gairdneri
Seems like the spoons get a hell of a lot better smiles down south here though - I'd say they work better!

Nice work.

BTW full report with more pics here...

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=10473922#post10473922