More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders

Posted by: Chasin' Baitman

More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/29/15 09:08 AM

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-blog/i...steelie-smolts/

WFC have moved on from hassling WA to hassling the feds. It sounds like the plan would have been provisionally approved were it not for all the public comments against it. And guess who rallied the most for comments against? The WFC. This isn't about the issue anymore, it's about who speaks the loudest.

Steelheading as we knew it, may be over. It hasn't been great, but I sure enjoyed going out on the weekends and watching my float bob down a run (and occasionally go under).
Posted by: TedR

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/29/15 12:46 PM

This sucks and one of the bigger and lesser discussed consequences is that the divide between the rich and poor is greater. It might seem like a strange observation but think about it, only those that can afford to travel to further locations will be able to fish for steelhead anymore. For a guy scraping by and barely making ends meet with his family, a trip to Forks for steelhead is a luxury.

A lot of press is given to the divide between rich and poor but it is a hundred small instances like this that create the divide.

There is also the crowding issue that will inevitably result. There will come a time in the not too distant future that some kind of limits (on number of people fishing) will be imposed on the Forks rivers. This will make it even harder for the average joe, if he can even get to Forks in the first place.
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/29/15 12:52 PM

Just another failure allowed by the State of Washington.

Anymore it is the norm.
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/29/15 01:36 PM

Time to russle up some little kids and take 'em "trout" fishin'
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/29/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Chasin' Baitman
http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-blog/i...steelie-smolts/

Steelheading as we knew it, may be over. It hasn't been great, but I sure enjoyed going out on the weekends and watching my float bob down a run (and occasionally go under).

Those of us that live in "other areas" of the State, also wish the metro areas, (I'5ers as locals called them), could get their act together. I hate to see the boat launches full of more and more tow rigs and boat trailers, trying to find fishing water, because of the fish problems from Tacoma to Bellingham.

Wish there was a easy answer.......I think not !!!!!!!!
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/30/15 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: TedR
This sucks and one of the bigger and lesser discussed consequences is that the divide between the rich and poor is greater. It might seem like a strange observation but think about it, only those that can afford to travel to further locations will be able to fish for steelhead anymore. For a guy scraping by and barely making ends meet with his family, a trip to Forks for steelhead is a luxury.

A lot of press is given to the divide between rich and poor but it is a hundred small instances like this that create the divide.

There is also the crowding issue that will inevitably result. There will come a time in the not too distant future that some kind of limits (on number of people fishing) will be imposed on the Forks rivers. This will make it even harder for the average joe, if he can even get to Forks in the first place.

I feel you on this. I see tons of posts by guys who are wild steelhead advocates that say they would gladly give up fishing this river or that fishery for steelhead but than they add something like, "as long as I get my 10 days up north every year."
Posted by: Bantam

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/30/15 07:56 PM

Sounds like it's time to sell the drift boat.....
Posted by: Bent Metal

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/30/15 08:53 PM

They will do a full EIS and find that the way hatchery practices have been carried out; planting only if collection facility is available, lowering # of smolts planted, early chambers return time and lack of reproduction success from chambers stock has very little effect on native populations. The anti hatchery guys will grab their torches and storm the next village... On and on it will go, finger pointing, denial. I got into steelheading just in time to see the empire fall. Got a lot of good steelhead rivers under the belt, but losing the "home" waters will suck..
Posted by: steeliedrew

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/31/15 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Bantam

I saw this coming Luis which is part of the reason I got rid of mine early. WFC are a bunch of elitist C.U.N.Tuesday's who can get Fvcked!!!
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/31/15 10:34 AM

Lol

Hard to believe those most furvently opposed to WFC are facing such a tough battle when they are such procedural-minded wordsmiths.
Posted by: Wild Chrome

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/31/15 01:34 PM

I consider myself a wild fish advocate, but without fishing, rivers will just be a pretty 5 second view from a highway bridge. Fishermen are the caretakers of the rivers and their fish. Kill fishing, kill the fish, wild or not.
Posted by: Bantam

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 05/31/15 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: steeliedrew
Originally Posted By: Bantam

I saw this coming Luis which is part of the reason I got rid of mine early. WFC are a bunch of elitist C.U.N.Tuesday's who can get Fvcked!!!

You mean you sold it becuse you never used it... and saw what coming? The future of changing diapers at home is a lot easier than in the bow of that drifter??? Ill always have a boat Drew... just depends where the steel takes me.
Posted by: Bay wolf

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 06/01/15 08:39 AM

No planted Steel in the Nisq. for how many years now? How is that working out for the wilds? Piss poor.
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 06/01/15 09:08 AM

nisqually was all native, at least in the winter. i do recall some ramblings by bill herzog about hatchery summer runs in the mashel in bygone days, though.

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 06/01/15 10:23 AM

"No planted Steel in the Nisq. for how many years now? How is that working out for the wilds? Piss poor."

Bingo!!!

Hatchery fish ain't the problem but man has to have something to blame except himself for the worlds failures.

Re: More bad steelhead news for N. Sounders - 06/01/15 10:24 AM

Ask Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!