Green River Summer Steel??

Posted by: Denham

Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/02/15 01:31 PM

I live very close to the Green River and was wondering if anyone has some knowledge on the summer runs. I heard they stopped planting the upper reaches a few years ago and only plant at Soos Creek. I love the scenery in the upper reaches and am wondering if its still worth fishing or if I'm wasting my time. Not looking for any secret spots or whatever, just little info on these fish and maybe when I should be targeting them. Thanks!
Posted by: TedR

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/02/15 05:29 PM

I hated this answer when I was a newb but now I understand the reason for giving it.

Get out and explore the river. There are quite a few publicly accessible points of entry to good stretches of river. Talk to the folks at the hatchery, they can be a good source of information. Nothing will substitute for gaining information on your own and it is much more satisfying.

And yes, I've heard there are fish around.

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/02/15 08:30 PM

I'm always down to explore but if fish aren't there then its pointless. But the last of what you said is all I need. Thanks!
Posted by: TanTastic84

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/04/15 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Denham
I'm always down to explore but if fish aren't there then its pointless. But the last of what you said is all I need. Thanks!

Really? Pointless? So what's the point in going FISHING? If all you want to do is catch fish, then hit up one of the local kids only trout ponds or if you really want a sure thing, go to the grocery store.

And if you want to learn about the good grocery stores around the Green River, use Google.

Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/04/15 12:10 PM

Lot's of people have gotten use to be handed things....Now with the internet and social media sites...its very common for people to want to know "where to go, what to use, when to be there", and many seem to get pissed, if the response they get is like the following:

Pre-computer times, people counted on newspapers, published weekly sports papers, local sports stores or like myself....went for a drive to check out the local rivers.

I still feel this is the best way....jump in your car/truck/SUV....go for a drive, heck with Google map you can "zoom right in to many area" or at least see how close the road is to the rivers.

I enjoy helping people, that seem to need help, if they are fishing close to me: how to rig up, why I do what I do BUT if you think I want to tell you what river I fish, what area of the river I fish, what color jig I use, what time of the day I catch fish.......think again!!!!!

Sure I know, at $4.00 a gallon for gas and just the time needed to drive and walk up and down a river might not be your idea of fun....but that might be what it takes.

Good luck....

Oh I do know there is more than 1 Green River in this State, just saying !!!
Posted by: Bent Metal

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/04/15 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
I want to tell you what river I fish, what area of the river I fish, what color jig I use,

Thanks DW! Looking forward to your daily Nooch' reports!
Posted by: TedR

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/04/15 12:43 PM

You've got that wrong, friend. You learn the most when you aren't sure if fish are around.

Here is a golden nugget, if you heed it, you will learn, I promise you that: Nothing beats time on the water, whether or not you hook up.

Its that simple, you can continue to look for handouts about where, when, how to fish but until you just get out and do it you won't find true success.

It is that simple.

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/04/15 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TanTastic84

Really? Pointless? So what's the point in going FISHING? If all you want to do is catch fish, then hit up one of the local kids only trout ponds or if you really want a sure thing, go to the grocery store.

And if you want to learn about the good grocery stores around the Green River, use Google.

You go fishing with the hopes of catching fish right? Are you telling me you'd ever fish a river without fish in it?? lol

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/04/15 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: TedR

You've got that wrong, friend. You learn the most when you aren't sure if fish are around.

Here is a golden nugget, if you heed it, you will learn, I promise you that: Nothing beats time on the water, whether or not you hook up.

Its that simple, you can continue to look for handouts about where, when, how to fish but until you just get out and do it you won't find true success.

It is that simple.

Sorry if what I asked for was too much, I tried to keep it as dull as possible knowing the reactions I might get if I sounded like a greenhorn. You answered my question with as much information as I could have asked and I appreciate that. I know the fishing is tough on the Green. Was mostly curious as to how the negated hatchery plants up at Palmer might affect the fish. Anyways, tight lines
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/04/15 05:24 PM

I don't know much about the Green but had to respond to the time wasted while fishing.

I tried for years to catch steelhead in all the wrong places. Usually to beat the crowds, I fished places that had few steelhead. What it taught me is how to read water really well. I take a lot of pride in that. I feel like I know where steelhead really like to hang and can see it quickly. Hundreds of yards dissected into one little area that is likely best on lots of different types of water from big to small, rocky to sandy with wood.

The interesting thing is that now I spend less time actually fishing on a new river and much more time hiking around trying to find the very best water. Once there, I usally hook some nice fish if conditions are favorable. I kind of prefer it this way. I challenge myself to make fewer casts and use my experience avoiding hope at all costs. Hope is often blind, especially with fishing so always pay attention, compare, inquire, ask, alter, adapt, make mistakes, and get skunked et cetera.

Anybody can go to a destination fishery and hook a bunch of steelhead with just a little guidance. It's a lot harder to actually know your quarry and its habits and have pay off on a regular basis. That is what takes year and years to acquire.

I am a well known hater of the Internet for feeding the me-now generation too much and making them spoiled. It used to take a lot of work to acquire knowledge and it should be that way with some topics because it is the path that counts not the destination.

You will get there someday grass hopper, or not. wink
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/04/15 05:49 PM

I live very close to the Green River and was wondering if anyone has some knowledge on the summer runs. I heard they stopped planting the upper reaches a few years ago and only plant at Soos Creek. I love the scenery in the upper reaches and am wondering if its still worth fishing or if I'm wasting my time. Not looking for any secret spots or whatever, just little info on these fish and maybe when I should be targeting them. Thanks!

The Green River used to be the number one steelhead river or close back in the 70s. I got a chance to fish it once about 15 years ago and caught a couple smolt. Nice river but I'd fish a river that has a run of hatchery summeruns. Check out the dfw site to learn more where to go. If you are in to catch and release then go explore. My preference would be to fish a river where you have a good chance.
Posted by: Firenmetal55

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/04/15 07:34 PM

You will never know if you don't have your line in the water though!
Posted by: bankbum

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/05/15 11:45 PM

One of the dumbest posts ive ever read.....why the hell would you go fish a river void of steelhead IF your intended target IS steelhead. [Bleeeeep!]!
Posted by: erikj

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/06/15 12:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfGvvz7HbAw&feature=youtu.be
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/07/15 09:15 AM

The guy asked a simple question you bunch of jabronis. And gets crucified for it. In reading his post his question seemed reasonable enough. Some of you old codgers get pretty uptight over [Bleeeeep!]. If I knew anything about said river I would pm you ,but I don't. Dont pay any mind to some of these sandy individuals.
Posted by: Bantam

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/07/15 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: bankbum

One of the dumbest posts ive ever read.....why the hell would you go fish a river void of steelhead IF your intended target IS steelhead. [Bleeeeep!]!

Holy Moly someone wants some more easy hand outs so he continue to make "how to" videos on techniques that he's just freshly discovered.... no interweb freebies here Denham! Put in your time like the rest of us and with a couple years under your belt, quit giving away your freshly discovered techniques on YouTube....

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/07/15 10:45 AM

The question I asked was hardly a "freeby"... Whats the point of being on a fishing forum if you don't want to talk about fishing, and instead scold people who do.
Posted by: Bantam

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/07/15 11:03 AM

Put in the time, it's not hard to call or research wdfw's historical smolt plants and returns on a system. Go out and explore it like a normal go getter would... fishing for handouts on a major fishing forum won't get you anywhere. With a run that's been steadily declining an its fish are hard to come by I certainly wouldn't give out a lick a info to someone with no post here or that is known for being a youtube, gopro, how-to whore with a couple years of experience under his belt....

Go out a put in some time on it, then you find if it's worth it....
Posted by: 5 * General Evo

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/07/15 11:13 AM

this is probably the absolute WORST forum to ask a question like that... not because the people here dont know how to fish, but because the people here are real fisherman, that busted their asses to attain the knowledge that they have, without asking where to fish....

the Green is a gorgeous river, not alot of fish around anymore tho... but if your good enough, you may get lucky....

regardless, being on that river for the day is much better than sitting on here asking where to go, what to use, ect...

go give it a shot, you may be surprised... if you want a tad of a head start, go get a copper a gold, and a silver spinner (just buy Todds), and go drag them through a few miles of river.... have fun
Posted by: Streamer

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/07/15 01:42 PM

Holy [Bleeeeep!]... Throw the guy a fuckin bone at least. [Bleeeeep!]...

Your hunch would be correct. They stopped planting the upper river and now only plant Soos Creek. That doesn't mean you won't find a fish up high, probably just not as many. They are summer runs so theoretically fishing between now and September gives you a decent chance. Don't fish one spot too long and cover lots of water... And there is a lot of it up there. Bring polarized glasses...

Good luck!

Matt

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/07/15 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Bantam
Put in the time, it's not hard to call or research wdfw's historical smolt plants and returns on a system. Go out and explore it like a normal go getter would... fishing for handouts on a major fishing forum won't get you anywhere. With a run that's been steadily declining an its fish are hard to come by I certainly wouldn't give out a lick a info to someone with no post here or that is known for being a youtube, gopro, how-to whore with a couple years of experience under his belt....

Go out a put in some time on it, then you find if it's worth it....

"known for being a youtube, gopro, how-to whore with a couple years of experience under his belt...." Are you referring to me or something?? You have no clue who I am and I dont know where you got the youtube, gopro, or how-to whore part from. I'm not sure what you're talking about but please give it a break

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/07/15 03:01 PM

Anyways, for all the guys who offered advice thank you for your thoughts. As for the criticism, I'll just take it with a grain of salt. Guess I'll have to think twice before posting in the future! lol
Posted by: erikj

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/07/15 04:04 PM

Just right. The video I posted was just meant to get a laugh. Get in there and tear it up.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/08/15 05:15 AM

On a lot of river systems hatchery fish will go high in the system and then drop down to the hatchery with the first fall rains.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/08/15 11:47 AM

Dam Stam............................buzz kill. Lol. Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/08/15 03:38 PM

While I did not fill punch cards up, I had a similar experience to Stams. I remember driving up to palmer and seeing a hundred or more steel head piled up. It took a while to realize it was better to get up early and hike into the canyon. Fish were expected. Then, they weren't. And now I feel it would take a miracle. I would rather drive and hour more and at least have a chance.

Re: Green River Summer Steel?? - 06/08/15 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Krijack
While I did not fill punch cards up, I had a similar experience to Stams. I remember driving up to palmer and seeing a hundred or more steel head piled up. It took a while to realize it was better to get up early and hike into the canyon. Fish were expected. Then, they weren't. And now I feel it would take a miracle. I would rather drive and hour more and at least have a chance.

Sounds like the recurring theme sadly. Guess I'll really be testing my luck!