ALWAYS wear a life jacket

Posted by: OceanSun

ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/14/15 12:41 PM

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/body-of-spokane-man-recovered-from-lake-coeur-dalene/

Good case in point for wearing that life jacket even if just on the troll. You never know what'll happen. He could have just been leaning over the side to clip his line to the release when a boat wake hit causing him to loose his balance. Caught up in down rigger wires from your own boat sounds like a horrible way to go!
Posted by: Hook

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/14/15 12:50 PM

True dat!
I often see guys that apparently think that it's unmanly to wear a pfd. It's like, they'd rather drown like a man!

Hook
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/14/15 01:06 PM

It doesn't always pay to have the biggest lead balls on the lake.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/14/15 02:41 PM

One of my co-worker was at camping Park Lake this past week.
Based on what the sheriff told him, a guy jump out of a boat going over 30 mph.
Body has been recovered.
They are also looking for a body in Banks Lake.
SF
Posted by: Jerry D

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/14/15 02:51 PM

I heartily agree that everyone should wear a life jacket, but if you get tangled in a down rigger line it might not help.
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/14/15 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Hook
True dat!
I often see guys that apparently think that it's unmanly to wear a pfd. It's like, they'd rather drown like a man!

Hook

I used to almost never wear one except when asked by another captain.

I had my AHA moment a couple years ago, now I'm way better about it but far from 100% use. Like most things there's still room for improvement.

Bottom line, it's all about risk management.

Some factors to consider...

1) Fishing alone vs with a companion(s) who can also run the boat.

2) Calm vs rough seas (big open water)

3) River vs lake (current vs stillwater)

3) Warm water vs cold

5) Presence or absence of other boats

I freely admit I still get lax about the PFD when I'm with competent others, calm weather, and/or warm water (> 60 degrees). I often go swimming during the fishing day just to cool off.

Cold weather/water, rough water, and/or lone boat on the water... yeah I'm donning my PFD.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/15/15 02:44 PM

Doc, I pretty much have been doing the same the past few years. I do put it on crossing the WP bar & the Columbia bar............regardless of bar conditions. Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/15/15 03:08 PM

I have all the required safety equipment in my boat.......but I don't wear my pfd......stupid yes.......I'd be SOL if something happened. Problem I have is "mind thinks I'm 20, body knows I'm 74".....just goes to show you how dumb my mind is......
Posted by: gooybob

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/16/15 02:57 PM

I wear one but I will probably have a heart attack just from hitting the water. I guess it will make it easier to find my body!

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/16/15 03:13 PM

I bought one.
Inserted the cartridge and it inflated.
Not sure how to get it on now.
Posted by: Sebastes

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/17/15 10:58 AM

On the subject of PFD's, it always concerns me when I see kids in boats with theirs on, but the adults are not wearing any.
Posted by: softhackle

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/19/15 02:54 AM

As as Emergency Physician, I have found that a sober brain is probably more important than a life jacket. Not to say don't wear one, we absolutely should, I have just found out by too many sad cases that ethanol and water don't make a good combination.

Re: ALWAYS wear a life jacket - 07/20/15 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: softhackle
As as Emergency Physician, I have found that a sober brain is probably more important than a life jacket. Not to say don't wear one, we absolutely should, I have just found out by too many sad cases that ethanol and water don't make a good combination.

True dat.