Lavro Boat question

Posted by: AD Pose

Lavro Boat question - 09/02/15 07:51 AM

Been trying to contact Lavro with no success. I heard they were out of business. They built strong boats, but is the transom strong enough to handle the weight of a 75lb. outboard without damage while driving down the Hwy/road to and from any given launch? It's a pain to haul/load/unload riverside.

Thanks
Posted by: BossMan

Re: Lavro Boat question - 09/02/15 09:56 AM

If you've ever looked in the rearview and watched your db hop around as you go down the road, I'd suggest you just suck it up and take it on and off each time. That's what I did with my Aluminum db.
Posted by: Sickpup

Re: Lavro Boat question - 09/02/15 10:08 AM

I have a 16r and thinking of dropping a 8hp merc on it? Any one have experience on these DB and outboards?
Posted by: Sickpup

Re: Lavro Boat question - 09/02/15 10:14 AM

Oh and for the record a friend had an evinrude 6hp short shaft on his for a drift of two, it didn't work out because of the short shaft and this was years ago... No problem with the weight though.
Posted by: stlhdr42

Re: Lavro Boat question - 09/02/15 07:29 PM

I ran a lavro for a lot of years. Ran a 8 hp on it occasionally. They are tough boats but I would never fly down the highway with the motor on it. On my lavro the transom was probably the weakest point.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Lavro Boat question - 09/02/15 07:49 PM

DB glass boat mfrs used to always recommend against towing with the motor installed.
If I wanted to travel with the motor installed, I would use some sort of support brace.
And smart use of bungees to keep the motor quiet.