FISH... it's what's for dinner!

Posted by: eyeFISH

FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 01:37 AM

So today I had a Filipino dinner at Seafood City (Southcenter Mall). After gorging on Lechon Kawali and Mongo beans, I strolled over to the seafood section to see what the non-fishing public gets a chance to buy at the "fresh" fish market.

I'll just let y'all be the judge as to how fresh some of this stuff looks. Maybe it'll even help you to appreciate just how good we have it.

I found the species available, their sourcing, and their prices quite interesting.

Have a look see....

Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: FISH... it's what's d for dinner! - 11/14/15 05:03 AM

yum oh
Posted by: Eric

Re: FISH... it's what's d for dinner! - 11/14/15 07:26 AM

I'll pass on the Vermillion, Carp and Atlantics.

Looks like they "been around awhile"

Definitely some interesting sources.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: FISH... it's what's d for dinner! - 11/14/15 10:33 AM

Prices look pretty good to me, but I can't say the same for all the product.

I wonder how much of that fish goes to waste. I wonder the same about the places where I occasionally buy fish. I probably don't want to know the answer.

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 10:48 AM

Although there was a LOT of customer traffic, I did not see a lot of WHOLE FISH product moving while I was there.

The issue of unsold waste was the first thing that crossed my mind. I mean how much longer could any of that stuff be displayed for sale? Makes you wonder on a global scale how much of the commercially caught fish is simply wasted getting it to market and into the final consumer's hands.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 11:43 AM

Gross!

Those lazy man's Ahi steaks are disgusting.
Posted by: riverdick

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 12:21 PM

Admit it doc. You have went to far lengths to find some fresh Coho fillets for your table.

Let me know if you find some. My cache is a little empty too!
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 03:37 PM

The yellow fin steaks looked bloody. The Atlantic salmon looked yellow and was marked down. I've tried Tilapia and it's okay. Carp doesn't look appetizing. Asians eat some strange food but they eat a lot of good food too.

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: riverdick
Admit it doc. You have went to far lengths to find some fresh Coho fillets for your table.

Let me know if you find some. My cache is a little empty too!

I have but one fish in my "cache".... a LONE Buoy 10 URB that LMWS caught and was actually able to keep. It's been sitting WHOLE in my freezer since late August until I pulled it out to thaw in the garage yesterday.

Today, I cut that puppy up. Ho'boy! Now I remember why I don't buy my fish at the market.

Gonna broil one belly slab for LMWS's dinner and brine the rest for the smoker.
Posted by: Eric

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 04:08 PM

Look at that layering!

If URB is second to springer, it's a damn small margin. When you freeze it whole is it gutted or ungutted? I can see benefits to both ways. Just curious.

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric
Look at that layering!

I knew it was gonna be a good one. Unlike so many of the fish above Tongue Pt, this one was FRESH and full of fight!

Quote:
If URB is second to springer, it's a damn small margin. When you freeze it whole is it gutted or ungutted? I can see benefits to both ways. Just curious.

That one was gutted and gilled at camp, and the head whacked off before freezing so it would fit across the freezer shelf. There is merit to leaving them guts in if they have already hardened off and the digestive organs have atrophied. The Buoy 10 fish are just too digestively active to leave guts in.

This is what the rest of the fish looked like...

Posted by: chrome/22

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 07:14 PM

Hey Doc, ever eat imperial Louvar?

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/14/15 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
Hey Doc, ever eat imperial Louvar?

Had to Google it up.

Tilapia it ain't.
Posted by: GodLovesUgly

Re: FISH... it's what's for dinner! - 11/16/15 08:45 AM

I want to run down and pick up some of the Taiwanese Largemouth Bass!