Rod Recommendations

Posted by: Steelheadman

Rod Recommendations - 11/19/15 06:45 PM

My new Shimano Stradic 4000 XG just arrived here. Birthday gift to myself.

Problem is I want to pair it with a new spinning rod. Would like to get something to match it that has at least a 54M modulus at least 9 ft but not over 10.5 feet 8-12 or 10-17 ft graphite rod. Any Black Friday specials around? Outdoor Warehouse had a 50% off Lami sale down in SE Portland a few years ago where I picked up a G1000 for $100 marked down from $200. Any rod builders out there? I use it 70% drift, 15% hardware, 15% float.
Posted by: supcoop

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/19/15 07:29 PM

Wrap yourself up a rainshadow.

Did it a few years back and got the exact rod specs I wanted and the pride of knowing I had a hand in it. It's caught a few fish too.
Posted by: Moravec

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/19/15 07:32 PM

What is 54M modulus... so confused!!!
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/19/15 07:56 PM

It's made from a ground up steering wheel off an old Allis-Chalmers.
A c00g thing.

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/19/15 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: supcoop
Wrap yourself up a rainshadow.

Did it a few years back and got the exact rod specs I wanted and the pride of knowing I had a hand in it. It's caught a few fish too.

I've been looking at the RX8 rainshadow.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/19/15 10:27 PM

Black Friday, just around the corner.......Have some idea in mind, then if something comes close.....jump all over it.

Stradic 4000, is a "larger then I fish reel", so I assume you are after big fish or big water.

4000 spinning reel.....10 - 17 rod, seems like a good combination.

Wish you well...
Posted by: 4steelhead

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/20/15 05:26 AM

Three Rivers Marine's, Black Friday Sale always has smoking deals. Visit their FB page for more details.

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/20/15 05:59 AM

May give Clay's Custom a call too.

The modulus is a ratio of the tensile strength to strain. I remember measuring it in physics lab and no we didn't use steel off a tractor.

I considered going with a 3000 like last time but I like the 4000 and will fill up half the spool with backer line and tie a bloodknot. Will have to have a counterweight on the butt of the rod.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/23/15 02:33 PM

Treat yourself to a Rainshadow..............blank. Have somebody wrap it up for ya. Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/23/15 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Steelheadman

The modulus is a ratio of the tensile strength to strain. I remember measuring it in physics lab and no we didn't use steel off a tractor.

I considered going with a 3000 like last time but I like the 4000 and will fill up half the spool with backer line and tie a bloodknot. Will have to have a counterweight on the butt of the rod.

You won't need a counter weight with a reel that big on a 9' rod.
2500CI4 Stradic on a 10.5' rod= maybe/yes
4000 reel on a 9'= no
It will be feeling plenty tip light.

Layout of the rod will be key too; length of butt grip, location of reel seat, etc.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/23/15 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Twitch
Originally Posted By: Steelheadman

You won't need a counter weight with a reel that big on a 9' rod.
2500CI4 Stradic on a 10.5' rod= maybe/yes
4000 reel on a 9'= no
It will be feeling plenty tip light.

Layout of the rod will be key too; length of butt grip, location of reel seat, etc.

4000 is a huge reel, IMO.
You might see a Russian using one upside down on a boat rod, large.

I'm not a spinning guy per se but I had 9" 8 wt. built into a spinning rod.
Used a Dale Clemens graphite handle and Fugi Camlocks.
With the Camlocks you can move the reel anywhere along the handle.
Don't know why anyone would want a fixed reelseat on a rod like that.

Re: Rod Recommendations - 11/29/15 11:40 PM

Went shopping Saturday. G Loomis GL 3 8-12 8.5 ft. It's super light but I think I need a counter weight or switch it to my Stradic 2500 or 3000. Got it for $95 off or $219 no sales tax. Said it was on sale as its being replaced by the e6x.