Need help locating OLD photo

Posted by: eyeFISH

Need help locating OLD photo - 11/22/15 03:50 PM

This was a LONG time ago when we had a thread going about various parasites in salmon meat... particularly the common Tapioca Disease.

The garden variety stuff is caused by Henneguya salmonicola which is basically just the egg shaped pus-pockets embedded in the meat. The meat itself is unharmed.

A more serious form is caused by Kudoa thyrsites which looks the same but produces a proteolytic enzyme that basically pre-digests the surrounding meat. It is heat stable so cooking/smoking does not stop the process of enzymatic breakdown of the flesh.

The pic I'm looking for was of two just-finished fillets of smoked salmon on a tilted rack with liquefied muscle tissue running off the fillets like tomato soup.

If you were the guy who originally posted it, shoot me a PM... or just feel free to post that gross-a$$ pic here now.

Thanks
Posted by: 5 * General Evo

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 11/22/15 05:23 PM

another one that screws with the meat is Zschokkei....

Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 11/29/15 09:11 AM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
The pic I'm looking for was of two just-finished fillets of smoked salmon on a tilted rack with liquefied muscle tissue running off the fillets like tomato soup.

Good lawd.. that sounds tasty.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 11/30/15 07:50 AM

Had a fish with the more severe condition this year. As described, the pustules looked just like the "garden variety," but they ruptured spontaneously after I cut the fillets off the fish, producing pockets of virtually liquified flesh in their wake. Pretty disgusting state of affairs.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 11/30/15 02:25 PM

Baarrrrfffffffffffffff. Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 11/30/15 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Had a fish with the more severe condition this year. As described, the pustules looked just like the "garden variety," but they ruptured spontaneously after I cut the fillets off the fish, producing pockets of virtually liquified flesh in their wake. Pretty disgusting state of affairs.

Hopefully you poured it in a jar. Protein shake. Fish ensure. Gravy.
Posted by: laterun

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 12/02/15 10:49 AM

Sent you a PM
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 12/02/15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: laterun
Sent you a PM

I think you're THE one who shared the original pic.

Post it up!
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 12/03/15 07:12 AM

Any fish I catch with visible "Acne" goes back! Anything not visible found while processing, is crab bait. No questions asked.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 12/03/15 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Any fish I catch with visible "Acne" goes back! Anything not visible found while processing, is crab bait. No questions asked.

Anything visible while it's alive is scale pocket disease and doesn't affect the meat. Tapioca isn't related.
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 12/04/15 06:50 AM

Regardless. It goes back.
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Need help locating OLD photo - 12/04/15 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN

I catch fish like this below Schafer Park. The "Acne" is along the lateral line towards the tail. Super easy to work around.

You are missing out on some great eats. whistle