no ho - 11/23/15 05:05 PM

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

November 23, 2015

Hoh River closes to fishing until Dec. 1

Action: Close the Hoh River to fishing.

Effective date: Nov. 24 through Nov. 30, 2015.

Species affected: All species.

Reason for action: Wild coho in the Hoh River require additional protection. The daily limit was reduced preseason for these rivers in anticipation of a weak return of wild coho, but indicators are pointing to the run returning at a still lower level than forecast preseason. The Hoh Tribe has closed their fishery until the end of November, and in combination with this sport closure, these actions will result in additional wild coho spawning.

Other information: The Hoh River will open back up for steelhead and other gamefish on Dec. 1, 2015.

Information contact: Mike Gross, District 16 fish biologist, (360) 249-1210.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: no ho - 11/24/15 07:27 AM

Wow. What's the point of this? Looks like another case where we were fishing into escapement all season.
Posted by: cohoangler

Re: no ho - 11/24/15 07:42 AM

The point is that coho came in under the already low forecast on the Hoh River. The State and the Tribes have agreed to close their respective fisheries, to protect the spawning stock. Yes, lots of folks were fishing into the escapement. But they were just fishing to the forecast. With a new (lower) forecast, this is the correct action to take. Thumbs up to the State and the Tribes for working together for the benefit of the coho stocks.

It seems a little late to me, but better late than never, given the projections.

Re: no ho - 11/24/15 12:33 PM

That it looks like way too little, way too late was my point, cohoangler. A week's closure ain't gonna buy the fish much relief this late in the season.

Seems like another CYA move, so the Region 6 office can simply add a line item to their season review that makes it look like they took action to protect each native run that turned up well below the forecast. Of course, the reality is that their failure to act sooner has probably caused all those runs to be overfished already.

Realistically, all state coho fisheries, commercial and sport alike, should probably have been closed mid-summer, as soon as catch data from ocean fisheries and PDO reports made it clear that the coho weren't there and weren't coming. Instead, they opted to keep the dollars rolling, which I suppose is exactly what they're ultimately tasked with doing.

"Met conservation objectives" is a bullet point that only appears on WDFW salmon season highlights in years where the run significantly exceeds expectations. Even then, it's only worth a couple points of extra credit.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: no ho - 11/24/15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
T A week's closure ain't gonna buy the fish much relief this late in the season.

You know, I agree with what you're saying, but in this case it probably will make a difference, considering the Hoh has been out for most of the last month or so, and it's just coming into shape, during a 4-day holiday weekend. This next 4 day stretch would probably comprise the lion's share of angler effort for November on these fish, and now it's not gonna happen.

I agree too late, but hopefully not too little in this case, on this stream.

fb

Re: no ho - 11/24/15 04:44 PM

That's a better way to look at it, fb. You make a good point in that it's been blown out for a month, which means it's effectively been closed for a while. Quality fisheries management by El Nino.
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: no ho - 11/25/15 02:43 PM

I'm still waiting for my Happy Birthday fish...
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: no ho - 11/25/15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: fishbadger
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
T A week's closure ain't gonna buy the fish much relief this late in the season.

You know, I agree with what you're saying, but in this case it probably will make a difference, considering the Hoh has been out for most of the last month or so, and it's just coming into shape, during a 4-day holiday weekend. This next 4 day stretch would probably comprise the lion's share of angler effort for November on these fish, and now it's not gonna happen

+1