New book to read

Posted by: Carcassman

New book to read - 01/16/16 11:54 AM

Frank Haw, former WDF biologist and administrator, recently published Washington's Sport of Kings. It is about his career, sport fishing for salmon, and the current state of affairs. I have just skimmed it so far but Frank lays out a lot of concerns about where WA is headed with salmon. Well worth reading as he lays out a lot of the history that we have forgotten and shows how we have gotten ourselves where we are today.

He doesn't think we're doing it all that well.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: New book to read - 01/16/16 12:59 PM

lol

Who DOES think we're doing all that well?

Show me that person, and I'll be able to point out the dumbest son of a bitch alive.

Re: New book to read - 01/16/16 01:33 PM

We can start with Phil, go to the Puget Sound Partnership, probably the Governor, certainly the leadership in R6.

Re: New book to read - 01/16/16 02:50 PM

True.

I don't think anyone will argue that all those f'ers are dumber than a sack of hammers.

Re: New book to read - 01/16/16 02:53 PM

Would you please quit insulting hammers?

Re: New book to read - 01/16/16 03:02 PM

smile
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: New book to read - 01/16/16 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
True.

I don't think anyone will argue that all those f'ers are dumber than a sack of hammers.

I don't normally like people East of Elma......but you I could handle, make me laugh......thanks for the chuckle !!!!!!!
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: New book to read - 01/17/16 01:06 PM

http://www.amatobooks.com/mm5/merchant.m...ks_new_releases

Re: New book to read - 02/01/16 10:19 AM

I finished reading the book and I think that anybody participating in NOF should read it.

The history of sport fishing for salmon was interesting. Having been in "the business" for decades there was a lot of new stuff. Like the foundation of PS salmon fishing was the smaller, year around available, juvenile coho and Chinook and maybe even pink.

But, the details on recent management and recovery need to read, digested, and then acted on.

Conservation responsibility was, by Boldt, reserved for the State.
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: New book to read - 02/02/16 09:29 AM

Love following CM! Out of all the court stuff the state has the final word as long as the numbers back it up. Also if conservation is required the shut down goes across the board for both tribal and non tribal right into the ocean. Bets on if they got the balls ( sorry girls for the sexist bit ) to do there job?
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: New book to read - 02/02/16 03:50 PM

I think it's more about keeping their jobs (which sometimes requires not doing them) than demonstrating testicular fortitude, Rivrguy, but either way, your question is valid.