UHMW scraps...

Posted by: Boot

UHMW scraps... - 02/01/16 06:38 AM

Im looking at building a couple slider rails to go on an older Alumaweld. I see the metal bolt on ones you can buy from Willie, but Im thinking about making some out of UHMW.

Does anyone know where you would get some scap material for this. Around the Puyallup/Tacoma area?

Thanks in advance!
Posted by: laterun

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/01/16 08:33 AM

If you know anyone from one of the plants like Simpson, or the log mill you might score some they have taken off. I did this and just turned it over and put the worn side down. There is also a used metal place down by La Quinta Inn that may have some.
Posted by: deerlick

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/01/16 01:15 PM

keltech plastics in tacoma
Posted by: DRL

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/01/16 09:18 PM

I work at WestRock, which used to be Simpson. I can take a look and see if we have any that has been taken off our conveyor system. How wide and how long does it need to be?

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/01/16 09:53 PM

about 40 inches long by and an inch wide. Long strips basically that I can cut down to make rails.

Any and all help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: deerlick

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/02/16 07:15 AM

Call keltech tell them exactly what u want. It's not very expensive. That all the help you need. I
I made seat sliders out of uhmw for my last drifter and would just by the willie rails next time. Auburn sports and marine had aluminu. slider rails at one one time not sure if they still do
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/02/16 07:45 PM

Great material to work with.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/02/16 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Great material to work with.

Yes it is.
Machines very well.
Just remember to allow for thermal expansion.
Posted by: Moravec

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/02/16 09:14 PM

If you are up in the 425, stop by 3 Rivers and talk to the guys in parts... we should have a bunch in our fabrication shop. Call Curt our Service Manager 425-415-1575 (shop phone)

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/03/16 05:48 PM

Boot, I was able to get @ 15' long strip off one of our doctor blades, it is 3"wide and 1/4" thick, yellow. You'll have to clean it, let me know if this will work or not. I may also be able to get some 1/2" thick UHMW, I just need to find out if it is scrap or not.

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/03/16 08:32 PM

DRL, thanks for the help on this. I think 1/4 inch will work. Please let me know if you can get your hands on some 1/2 too. I really appreciate the help on this. I

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/10/16 09:14 PM

Boot, I have the UHMW for you, let me know when and where you want to pick it up, and we can meet up, Saturday is out as I will be fishing..

Re: UHMW scraps... - 02/11/16 09:22 PM

DRL... PM Sent