Tractor suspension seats?

Posted by: RogueFanatic

Tractor suspension seats? - 05/24/16 12:42 PM

I have read reports on other boards but didn't sound like first-hand so I thought I would post here. The $350 Smoothmoves classic appears to me to be very similar to the $99 A&I Products suspension seat found on Northern Tool, which are imported, powder-coated steel and likely to rust.

The Glyde Rydes look nice, are U.S. made out of stainless, and then powder-coated but when I called today I learned that they cost $690 plus $40 shipping for $730 and that's just too dam expensive.

My buddies use the even more expensive Bentleys ($1000) but they started to rust too after a few years.

So. Anybody have thoughts on a cost-effective option?
Posted by: Bobberdoggin

Re: Tractor suspension seats? - 05/24/16 12:54 PM

I ended up getting the Smooth Moves Ultra 3 months ago. I haven't had any rust issues so far and it seems to work good.
Posted by: GodLovesUgly

Re: Tractor suspension seats? - 05/24/16 07:02 PM

Any input of gas shock pedestals? I've been interested in one of them....

http://tacomarine.com/product/M30-Series...n-Seat-Pedestal
Posted by: Bobberdoggin

Re: Tractor suspension seats? - 05/24/16 07:48 PM

I was looking at those too, the Smooth Move Ultra ended up being cheaper. The 8" of seat travel and 300 lb weight capacity sold me on the smooth move ultra. I couldn't find the weight capacity of and the amount of travel on the taco marine one. Those would be good data points to compare. I think the smooth move classic and the tractor style only had 4" of travel and I was worried about the back hitting the controls when pivoting the seat. Also Bentley's had one that mounts to the top of a seat box or directly to the floor and quoted me $423 + $55 adapter plate & $25 shipping. I believe that also only had 4" of travel though.

Re: Tractor suspension seats? - 05/26/16 09:56 AM

Yes, the more I look into this, the more I am coming around to the SmoothMoves Ultra. Appears to be the best-bang-for-buck option.
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Tractor suspension seats? - 05/26/16 02:02 PM

Where are you getting the Smoothmoves Ultra ?
Posted by: seaalki

Re: Tractor suspension seats? - 05/26/16 04:27 PM

Another option, more compact...http://www.waveproshock.com
Posted by: seaalki

Re: Tractor suspension seats? - 05/26/16 06:20 PM

Comparison article:https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/air-spring-seat-pedestals/

Re: Tractor suspension seats? - 05/31/16 11:10 AM

So I found out I needed a new trailer for BC legal requirements so the expensive seats had to go. Went with cheap tractor seats ($100 each) and, to the surprise of no one, you get what you pay for. Having said that, I think they are an improvement over a boat seat with zero suspension. I sprayed each with a rattle can of Rustoleum undercoating which will hopefully delay the rust for an extra season. The suspension works ok but I had to fabricate an adapter (I used some scrap Trex deck boards) to attach the suspension to the seat swivel and with stainless and galvanized hardware used on the install, I added another $50 to the deal. There is significant slop side-to-side but overall, it is an improvement. A long term fix? Not by a long shot.