how do I rig these?

Posted by: fishbadger

how do I rig these? - 06/19/16 12:33 PM

Awhile back, my cousin gifted me a big bag of twisty tail grubs for bottom fishing purposes. Most are 6-8" and look like great ling candy. I've used grubs that look like these on standard jigheads quite a bit. These are different though, as they have a straw or tube that goes through the body of the grub, and comes out at the base of the tail. IT looks like they were poured to be a rigged as a slider. A standard jighead with a J-hook won't work, as the hook would destroy the tube with the barb. How do you rig these?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/fishbadger/IMG_20160619_121339734_HDR%202_zpsc6gynkjy.jpg

Thanks in advance,

fb

PS I know the logical solution would be "call your cousin and ask him". I tried, but he changed his phone number and moved.
Posted by: 5 * General Evo

Re: how do I rig these? - 06/19/16 12:51 PM

we used something similar a while back, just used like 50 pound test with a hook crimped on it... you could use steel leaders i guess, but it may cut the tube under load....
Posted by: JTD

Re: how do I rig these? - 06/19/16 03:47 PM

To answer your question, I would run the line UP through the body with a small bead as a stopper between the worm and the hook. Then you could rig Texas, Carolina style or as a dropper rig with one or multiples branching off the mainline with the weight below.

Your color is spot on... We used to use baby rock cod as bait be fore we knew better. That is the go too and is way better than herring or sand dabs. Lings jump all over them. So any variation of brown is money and I my first choice when I am buying tackle.

Good luck!
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: how do I rig these? - 06/20/16 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Get some lead heads from Twitch in the appropriate weights and go to town.

I've caught some nice Lingasaurs with those rigged that way.

This ^^^

Those are made with the squared off nose so that they mate up to a bullet head jig that has a squared off butt.
You'll have an a-ha moment when you rig your first one properly.

Bullet Head Jig 2 oz.

Edit:
I just saw the straw comment.
I think I'd try to pull the straw and jig rig 'em or go with it and rig them Carolina.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: how do I rig these? - 06/20/16 07:56 AM

So far I think unweighted on its own leader with a bumper bead between the tail-hole and the hook, with a dropper weight (or weighted dropper lure) on the mainline, seems like the best option.

I've tried jigheads like those above, but the barb can't get through the straw frown

fb