Canning Tuna and Salmon

Posted by: fishenfool

Canning Tuna and Salmon - 07/29/16 09:25 AM

Purchased All American 25 qt Pressure Cooker, Went Tuna Fishing out of West Port last Friday with 2 friends in a 24' black Wellcraft that is all set up for Tuna. headed NW 57 miles to Astoria Canyon 40 miles out. First time Tuna fishing for me, What a Blast. Had lots of 3 fish on with 4 rods out using live Anchovies... Big fish up to 25 plus lbs. Killed 17 and lost just as many, then the Blues showed up due to the Blood seeping out. Cleaned fish in front of WP and packed in ice. Saturday was spent processing, friends had 3 pressure cookers so spent the day canning. So now I just got my Pressure Cooker and will start Canning Salmon as soon as I start catching?? I only eat fresh salmon and smoke any that go into freezer, now I have an alternative.
Posted by: GutZ

Re: Canning Tuna and Salmon - 07/30/16 11:28 AM

Try this with some ...
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum...html#Post805657
Posted by: kingdog

Re: Canning Tuna and Salmon - 07/30/16 12:49 PM

You did good coming home with 17. We were out the same day and lots of boats struggled including some of the express charters. Hopefully after this big blow they will hungry a little further north. Canning is a time consuming ordeal with a big batch of long fins.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Canning Tuna and Salmon - 07/30/16 12:51 PM

Having a canner "opens lots of options", I have the All American 21, it has done the job but if I was buying again....I'd get the 25.

Follow instructions....should have no problems...