Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic

Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 07:36 AM

WDFW and KING 5 are reporting that the third party software WDFW and most other state wildlife agencies use for license sales has a security vulnerability that has been exploited, leaking an as yet unknown amount of personal data from various databases, including Washington's. Consider the information you provide when you purchase a license, then decide for yourself whether you should be alarmed.

Anyway, license sales have been suspended until such time as the threat has been assessed and neutralized.

Not trying to place blame on WDFW. Just spreading the delightful news.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 07:51 AM

This may gum up my early-season bowhunting. On the other hand, saves some coin.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 08:05 AM

Seems it also prevents reporting crab CRC card data.
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 08:08 AM

Time ta go fishin or hunting. Just because THEY cant keep the [Bleeeeep!] secure, shouldn't mean we all lose our rights to fish and hunt.
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 08:13 AM

"They" could screw up a wet dream.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 08:29 AM

Not "could". "Do"

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 09:54 AM

Hold on, folks. As much fun as it may be, we really shouldn't blame this one on WDFW. They didn't develop the software that got hacked, and there's no way they could have been assured before buying it was vulnerability-free. Simply too many people out there with huge brains and zero ethics, who would rather screw you and I out of our money than get a job, for there to ever be any assurance any system is completely secure.

I don't think suspended license sales means any of us who have already purchased licenses can't hunt or fish while this is going on, so most of us only need to worry about the fact that our names, birthdates, addresses, WA license numbers, and Social Security numbers may all have been compromised. This has potential to be the largest PII data breach of this kind in history. Let's hope they didn't get all of it, for every licensed angler/hunter in most of the US....
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 09:58 AM

So didn't WDFW contract with this company???

In the contracting world the general contractor is liable for his subcontractor's failures.

On the public side no one is responsible for anything and failure is the norm.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 10:42 AM

I'm no lawyer (you know a great post is coming when those are the first words), but I would venture to guess that contractual liabilities for software that stores personally identifiable information are a much more complicated matter than the liability a contractor in other industries (construction, e.g.) takes on when he/she hires a sub. I would be surprised to learn that the laws around data breaches didn't place ultimate responsibility for protection of the personal data squarely on the end user opting to provide it. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure no technology firm would be willing to take on the risk to develop such systems.

If the government is to blame for this in any respect, I think it would be in that the Feds continue to use SSN as the key to open every door into our life histories. It's stored in so many databases (many not even managed by the govt.) at this point that none of us is safe from identity theft. Seems to me there should be one, read only resource (possibly replicated down from the system that stores the master SS records) that any application that relies on a person's identity must interface with in order to validate SSNs. Once a SSN has been validated, that system should return a code that corresponds to that SSN (but is not an acceptable means of identification for any other purpose), which becomes the value stored in the application database. That way, if a breach occurs, the offender has a set of useless codes that can't be used to steal identities. Of course, that assumes nobody manages to hack the master system, which is not a safe assumption.

Online commerce is a wonderful world that is unfortunately wrought with peril. Enter at your own risk (at least I assume that's what I've done).
Posted by: geljockey

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 11:49 AM

NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
August 25, 2016
Contacts: WDFW licensing customer service, (360) 902-2464;
Bruce Botka, WDFW media relations, (360) 902-2262;
Andrew Garber, OCS, (360) 407-7995

WDFW offers free fishing while license sales are suspended

OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is offering “free fishing” days through Tuesday while the agency’s license sales system is down.

Earlier this week, WDFW temporarily suspended the sale of fishing and hunting licenses. The agency is working with the state Office of Cyber Security (OCS) to investigate a vulnerability in an outside vendor’s license sales system and is working to restore sales as soon as possible.

In the meantime, WDFW will not require anglers to have a fishing license to fish or gather shellfish in any waters open to fishing in Washington state, beginning today through Tuesday, Aug. 30, said Jim Unsworth, WDFW director. Likewise, the department will not require anglers to have a vehicle access pass to park at WDFW water access sites. Other rules, such as seasons, size limits, bag limits, and closures, will remain in effect.

Before heading out, anglers should also check the current fishing regulations at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Requirements for all anglers to have fishing licenses, catch record cards, and endorsements will be back in effect on Wednesday, Aug. 31.

“We are as frustrated as our customers over the licensing system being shut down, but we want to make sure anglers can still hit the waters over the next several days,” Unsworth said.

Hunters will have to wait to buy licenses until the sales system can be restored, Unsworth noted. The agency anticipates having a sales channel available before major hunting seasons – such as archery deer, elk and cougar – begin in September, he said.

“I appreciate our customers’ patience while we work through this security vulnerability with our license sales vendor,” Unsworth said. “The department is taking the steps necessary to ensure the sales site is secure and our customers’ information is protected.”

WDFW will provide updates about license sales on its webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/, and through its Facebook site at www.facebook.com/WashingtonFishWildlife.

Department officials said a Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement will not be needed to fish for salmon and steelhead in open areas of the Columbia River. Anglers will not need a two-pole endorsement to fish with two-poles in select waters where two pole fishing is permitted. Crabbers also will not need a Puget Sound crab endorsement through Aug. 30.

Anglers will not be required to complete a catch record card for any salmon, steelhead, sturgeon or crab they catch from Aug. 25 through Aug. 30.

Through Aug. 30, anglers will not need a Discover Pass to park at any of the nearly 700 water-access sites maintained by WDFW. The Discover Pass will still be required to access lands managed by the Washington Department of Natural Resources and Washington State Parks. The parks department had previously announced that it is not requiring a Discover Pass on Aug. 25 to celebrate the National Park Service’s 100th anniversary.

Discover Pass sales will continue at local dealerships and at state parks locations. More information on Discover Pass sales locations is available on WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/discoverpass/.

Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.
Posted by: thaxor

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 12:01 PM

Quote:
Anglers will not be required to complete a catch record card for any salmon, steelhead, sturgeon or crab they catch from Aug. 25 through Aug. 30.

Wow, didn't expect that. I guess if someone had a trip planned for months there's no other way around it.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 12:23 PM

Hadn't seen the Dept.'s reaction. As much as I don't agree that this is a good argument for going back to pushing paper across desks, I think it's an excellent argument for a paper form that can be filled out (with fees collected) at times when the system is down. Retailers could mail in carbon copies to WDFW for manual data entry when the system is back online. A system under maintenance should never prevent citizens from accessing government services. Pain is one thing; denial of service is quite another.

I'm also not sure it's a good thing that they turned the whole thing into a free-for-all in the meantime. Absent any other means to sell licenses, I guess they don't have much choice, but the potential, lost revenue (especially from out-of-state anglers, who would comprise most of the people buying licenses this time of year) and the "bending of rules" that could occur during this period make it a real bummer.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 12:28 PM

Sweet. I'm hoping to take my fiance fishing with CanyonMan and Sleddddddder this weekend! Free fishing!
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 02:16 PM

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

August 25, 2016
Contacts: WDFW licensing customer service, (360) 902-2464;
Bruce Botka, WDFW media relations, (360) 902-2262;
Andrew Garber, OCS, (360) 407-7995

WDFW offers free fishing while license sales are suspended
OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is offering "free fishing" days through Tuesday while the agency's license sales system is down.

Earlier this week, WDFW temporarily suspended the sale of fishing and hunting licenses. The agency is working with the state Office of Cyber Security (OCS) to investigate a vulnerability in an outside vendor's license sales system and is working to restore sales as soon as possible.

In the meantime, WDFW will not require anglers to have a fishing license to fish or gather shellfish in any waters open to fishing in Washington state, beginning today through Tuesday, Aug. 30, said Jim Unsworth, WDFW director. Likewise, the department will not require anglers to have a vehicle access pass to park at WDFW water access sites. Other rules, such as seasons, size limits, bag limits, and closures, will remain in effect.

Before heading out, anglers should also check the current fishing regulations at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/
Requirements for all anglers to have fishing licenses, catch record cards, and endorsements will be back in effect on Wednesday, Aug. 31. "We are as frustrated as our customers over the licensing system being shut down, but we want to make sure anglers can still hit the waters over the next several days," Unsworth said.

Hunters will have to wait to buy licenses until the sales system can be restored, Unsworth noted. The agency anticipates having a sales channel available before major hunting seasons – such as archery deer, elk and cougar – begin in September, he said.
"I appreciate our customers' patience while we work through this security vulnerability with our license sales vendor," Unsworth said. "The department is taking the steps necessary to ensure the sales site is secure and our customers' information is protected."

WDFW will provide updates about license sales on its webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/, and through its Facebook site at www.facebook.com/WashingtonFishWildlife
Department officials said a Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement will not be needed to fish for salmon and steelhead in open areas of the Columbia River. Anglers will not need a two-pole endorsement to fish with two-poles in select waters where two pole fishing is permitted. Crabbers also will not need a Puget Sound crab endorsement through Aug. 30.

Anglers will not be required to complete a catch record card for any salmon, steelhead, sturgeon or crab they catch from Aug. 25 through Aug. 30. Through Aug. 30, anglers will not need a Discover Pass to park at any of the nearly 700 water-access sites maintained by WDFW. The Discover Pass will still be required to access lands managed by the Washington Department of Natural Resources and Washington State Parks. The parks department had previously announced that it is not requiring a Discover Pass on Aug. 25 to celebrate the National Park Service's 100th anniversary.
Discover Pass sales will continue at local dealerships and at state parks locations. More information on Discover Pass sales locations is available on WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/discoverpass/
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 08:32 PM

Jesus fuckin Christ.

A week go I would have bet there was no way I could be more disgusted with WDFW and their bullsh!t.

But I stand corrected.

WDFW should be dismantled, blown up, set on fire, defunded, banished to a desert island, and then nuked from space.
Posted by: Bent Metal

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/25/16 08:54 PM

Dan, might as well throw the WFC in while your at it..... Package deal smile

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/26/16 12:16 PM

I thought that it was the Leg that set the licensing fees and requirements. WDFW simply implemented them. At least that was what I was told. So, how can WDFW simply say "You don't need a license" even if there is a reason like the whole damn system broke?
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/26/16 10:34 PM

The legislature passes the statutes and license fees. The Commission and/or the Director can set the requirements for when a license is required. I think they're within their scope of authority to authorize "free" fishing days within the current issues with the license vendor.

RCWs > Title 77 > Chapter 77.12

Chapter 77.12 RCW
POWERS AND DUTIES
Chapter Listing | RCW Dispositions

Scope of commission's authority to adopt rules—Application to private tideland owners or lessees of the state.
(1) The commission may adopt, amend, or repeal rules as follows:
(a) Specifying the times when the taking of wildlife, fish, or shellfish is lawful or unlawful.
(b) Specifying the areas and waters in which the taking and possession of wildlife, fish, or shellfish is lawful or unlawful.
(c) Specifying and defining the gear, appliances, or other equipment and methods that may be used to take wildlife, fish, or shellfish, and specifying the times, places, and manner in which the equipment may be used or possessed.
(d) Regulating the importation, transportation, possession, disposal, landing, and sale of wildlife, fish, shellfish, or seaweed within the state, whether acquired within or without the state.
(e) Regulating the prevention and suppression of diseases and pests affecting wildlife, fish, or shellfish.
(f) Regulating the size, sex, species, and quantities of wildlife, fish, or shellfish that may be taken, possessed, sold, or disposed of.
(g) Specifying the statistical and biological reports required from fishers, dealers, boathouses, or processors of wildlife, fish, or shellfish.
(h) Classifying species of marine and freshwater life as food fish or shellfish.
(i) Classifying the species of wildlife, fish, and shellfish that may be used for purposes other than human consumption.
(j) Regulating the taking, sale, possession, and distribution of wildlife, fish, shellfish, or deleterious exotic wildlife.
(k) Establishing game reserves and closed areas where hunting for wild animals or wild birds may be prohibited.
(l) Regulating the harvesting of fish, shellfish, and wildlife in the federal exclusive economic zone by vessels or individuals registered or licensed under the laws of this state.
(m) Authorizing issuance of permits to release, plant, or place fish or shellfish in state waters.
(n) Governing the possession of fish, shellfish, or wildlife so that the size, species, or sex can be determined visually in the field or while being transported.
(o) Other rules necessary to carry out this title and the purposes and duties of the department.
(2) Subsections (1)(a), (b), (c), (d), and (f) of this section do not apply to private tideland owners and lessees and the immediate family members of the owners or lessees of state tidelands, when they take or possess oysters, clams, cockles, borers, or mussels, excluding razor clams, produced on their own private tidelands or their leased state tidelands for personal use.
"Immediate family member" for the purposes of this section means a spouse, brother, sister, grandparent, parent, child, or grandchild.
(3) Except for subsection (1)(g) of this section, this section does not apply to private sector cultured aquatic products as defined in RCW 15.85.020. Subsection (1)(g) of this section does apply to such products.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/27/16 06:30 AM

I can se where they can regulate tie, place, and manner (a,b,c). It would seem (o) might be construed that way but if the RCW elsewhere clearly states a license is required over a certain age I am not so sure.

Do you know if the Feel Free to Fish Day is called out in the RCW? How that has been handled would suggest precedent.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/27/16 07:10 AM

Off hand I would say they violated the intent of the APA which is the second or third time in the past few months. They will get nailed in court sooner or later.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/27/16 11:30 PM

Not easy to track the process through the RCW and the WAC. Found the following 2 sections in WAC 220 - Fishing that appear to be applicable and tie back to RCW references giving the Commission/Director the authority to set licensing requirements.

220-55-015
Valid recreational license required.
It is unlawful for any person required to have a recreational license to take or possess fish, shellfish, seaweed, or wildlife for personal use without having in physical possession a valid license or a valid internet or telephone authorization number.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 77.32.050. WSR 00-11-178 (Order 00-80), § 220-55-015, filed 5/24/00, effective 6/24/00. Statutory Authority: 1998 c 191 and RCW 75.08.080. WSR 99-03-029 (Order 99-02), § 220-55-015, filed 1/13/99, effective 2/13/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 75.08.080. WSR 94-23-059 (Order 94-162), § 220-55-015, filed 11/14/94, effective 12/15/94; WSR 94-01-001, § 220-55-015, filed 12/1/93, effective 1/1/94; WSR 89-07-071 (Order 89-05), § 220-55-015, filed 3/20/89; WSR 79-09-021 (Order 79-58), § 220-55-015, filed 8/10/79.]

220-55-160
Free fishing weekend.
The Saturday and Sunday following the first Monday in June is declared to be free fishing weekend in Washington. On this weekend a fishing license is not required for any person, regardless of age or residency, to fish for or possess fish and shellfish and a fish and wildlife lands vehicle use permit is not required to utilize department parking facilities except that it is unlawful to fish for or possess any species for which a catch record is required without a valid catch record card in possession. Anglers may fish with two poles in all lakes where it is legal to do so without purchasing a two-pole endorsement, and may also fish in all open areas of the Columbia River and tributaries without purchasing a Columbia River endorsement. During free fishing weekend only the license, endorsements, and permit provided for in this section are affected, and all other rules including the catch record card requirement remain in effect.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 77.04.020 and 77.12.047. WSR 11-16-103 (Order 11-184), § 220-55-160, filed 8/3/11, effective 9/3/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047. WSR 06-13-023 (Order 06-135), § 220-55-160, filed 6/13/06, effective 7/14/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 75.08.080 and 77.12.040. WSR 99-08-029 (Order 99-13), § 220-55-160, filed 3/30/99, effective 5/1/99.]

All of the fishing regulations can be found in this link to WAC 220
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/28/16 06:09 AM

BB I found the same on this after looking around. As to the APA BB nope they are gonna get there sorry ass hides nailed to the wall hopefully sooner than later.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/28/16 09:15 AM

Rather than cut and paste, one can look at the powers and duties of the Commission and Director in this part of RCW 77 as they can relate to the requirements for licenses, seasons, etc.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04&full=true

One of my major concerns was/is the merging of the Dept of Fisheries and Dept of Game statutes at the time of merger. It would have been a good time to cut out unneeded/duplicative statutes and shortened/clarified the new RCW 77. It still needs to happen.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/28/16 10:49 AM

It was tried at least a couple of times. Without a lot of leadership support.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/28/16 08:54 PM

still needs to be on the table. the penalties need to be cleaned up, too, along with the license suspension process

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 07:00 AM

Should be. But each separate integration/rule has its supporters or reasons. Would take some cooperation.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 08:57 AM

I agree. Took two years to get the Colorado re-write done. Cut out about 25% of the old statutes. There were legislators who were just sure we were trying to hide something, even when they had a page by page/side by side comparison.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 08:58 AM

It is my understanding that the "hack" on the Active system was apparently restricted to WA, OR, and ID license sales
Posted by: OncyT

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: bushbear
There were legislators who were just sure we were trying to hide something, even when they had a page by page/side by side comparison.

I'm sure no legislators nor hunter/fishers here would be that suspicious of our WDFW.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 11:34 AM

I think the pool of folks suspicious of WDFW is significant larger than just some Legislators and hunters/fishers. Like comparing that kiddie wading pool in your backyard to an Olympic pool.
Posted by: geljockey

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 12:58 PM

Here is an article of interest related to the hacking:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/aug/2...ense-purchases/

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 01:19 PM

For the WAC

Concise Explanatory Statement
New Combination Licenses
Rules created as part of this rulemaking:
WAC 220-55-165 Reduced rate annual Fish Washington license, and license upgrades.
1. Background/Summary of Project:
a. To better serve our customers, the new rule was proposed to make the purchase process more convenient for residents and seniors as well as to allow residents an opportunity to upgrade from an annual freshwater, saltwater, or shellfish/seaweed license to an all-inclusive combination license.

2. Reasons for adopting the rule:
a. The department believes that combination fishing licenses it will increase participation in all angling activities, improve retention of customers, and grow revenue opportunities for the department.
b. Supporting information for the new rule:
i. Fish Washington: A survey was conducted to find out if customers would be likely to purchase a fishing combination package. Out of 7,024 responses, 54.7% stated they would be likely to purchase the package.
ii. Combination Upgrade: Pilot program for the upgrade was available in 2014 from May 21st – July 20th and led to over 2,000 upgrades sold.
iii. Senior Upgrade: 23% of residents purchase a combination license, but once they become seniors at age 70, they option is no longer available and the number seniors that purchase all components of the combination license (annual freshwater, saltwater, and shellfish/seaweed) drops to 11%.
3. Differences between the text of the proposed rule and the rule as adopted:
a. Change: Section one (1) add “residents”.
b. Change: Section two (2) remove “non-residents disabled vets”, remove “razor,” and add, “plus transaction and dealer fees. The director may limit the times of the year that this upgrade is made available for sale.”
c. Change: Section three (3) remove “seventy years of age and older”
4. Public comments, response to comments, and consideration of comments
a. Two public comments were received and both supported the proposed

and the rational

NEW SECTION
WAC 220-55-165 Reduced rate annual fish Washington license, and license upgrades. (1) There is hereby created an annual fish Washington license for residents that combines recreational freshwater and saltwater fishing, shellfish, and seaweed harvest privileges. The fee for the annual fish Washington license will not be priced higher than the sum of the individual items. The fish Washington license also includes the following: (a) The Columbia River salmon and steelhead endorsement; (b) A Puget Sound Dungeness Crab endorsement; and (c) A two-pole endorsement. (2) The director is authorized to allow any Washington state resident who has purchased an annual freshwater, saltwater, or shellfish/ seaweed license to upgrade to a combination license for the cost difference between his or her current annual fishing license(s) and the cost of the combination license, plus transaction and dealer fees. The director may limit the times of the year that this upgrade is made available for sale. (3) There is hereby created an annual senior combination recreation fishing license which includes freshwater and saltwater fishing, shellfish, and seaweed harvest privileges. The state fee for the annual senior combination fishing license will not be priced higher than the sum of the individual items and is available to any senior residents

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 01:23 PM

and to finish off this:

Permanent Rules Filed (rules are effective 31 days after filing unless otherwise specified):

• New Combination Recreational Fishing Licenses
The department is considering new rules to establish new types of combination fishing licenses. Chapter 77.32 RCW allows the Fish and Wildlife Commission to set the period of validity for a license and to combine licenses to one license at a fee less than the cost of the combined licenses. Creating new combination fishing licenses will increase participation in all angling activities, improve retention of customers, and grow revenue opportunities for the department.

The Fish Washington license is being adopted as a "value added license package for recreational anglers". Purpose of this license is to create a one-stop shop license package that contain all fishing license privileges. The license is being requested based on input from recreation anglers and the dealer community.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 05:54 PM

Fark, who buys licenses anymore, as soon as the injuns do I will. I'm native American. thumbs
Posted by: blackmouth

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 07:24 PM

In common with.
Posted by: OLD FB

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 08:16 PM

Shaking my head tonight reading this "stuff" FUBAR> That Is All
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/29/16 08:22 PM

Nice looking Dog. thumbs

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/30/16 08:02 AM

Looks like the whole reason for the Fish Washington license is an opportunity to see how many bites they can get on early renewals at a small discount, before the grim reality of the year's fishing opportunities is made public each year. Sell us the premium package, then show us the small print a couple months later.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/30/16 12:07 PM

I buy my license when there is a fishery or hunt that I am able and want to participate in. Love waterfowl, but will be out of the hemisphere for the first part of the season so won't buy a license until I decide if it is worth it later.

With all the NOF bs that goes on it is amazing that anybody buys a license before at least knowing what the seasons and conditions are.
Posted by: blackmouth

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/30/16 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I buy my license when there is a fishery or hunt that I am able and want to participate in. Love waterfowl, but will be out of the hemisphere for the first part of the season so won't buy a license until I decide if it is worth it later.

With all the NOF bs that goes on it is amazing that anybody buys a license before at least knowing what the seasons and conditions are.

I understand your point but I had very good fishing in April and May, June might have been epic.

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/30/16 05:47 PM

Then you did right by buying early. But if, for example, your love is ocean salmon or Buoy Zooey then knowing the sideboards might save money.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/31/16 08:14 AM

I use one debit card for certain types of purchases on my fun account. License fees is one of them and one of them and yesterday I received charges for tickets for a small 4 plane airline in Egypt.

Wonder if was related to that or another purchase. Only 4 places I used the new card.
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/31/16 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
I use one debit card for certain types of purchases License fees is one of them and one of them and yesterday I received charges for tickets for a small 4 plane airline in Egypt

Andy, gotta be the hack.

c/22

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/31/16 10:28 AM

For those interested, here is the latest news I could find from WDFW on the hack. The investigation has determined that about 2,000,000 hunters and anglers in WA, OR, and ID had at least some of the following data leaked:
Full name
Date of birth
Address
DL number (apparently, that field was optional)
Last 4 digits of SSN

No mention of credit/debit card numbers, so perhaps Dogfish's Egyptian vacation plans were unrelated. Of course, it may be that they just haven't discovered that aspect of the breach yet.

As of now, vendor and phone license sales are back online, but the online renewal process is still unavailable. This seems to suggest that the online renewal form was the part of the system that was exploited or is still under investigation. I haven't used that form, so I'm not sure what info it collects, but it makes sense the first step would be to establish the customer's identity, so....

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/31/16 04:32 PM

I recall back before 2010 that I connected to WDFW's system report a deer tag. My computer told me the site, then, was "unsafe". So, I didn't report it using my computer.
Posted by: Sebastes

Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic - 08/31/16 08:06 PM

I did get my Columbia endorsement today. I usually wait until I know I am going there in the Fall before purchasing.