Montesano Boat Launch

Posted by: DrifterWA

Montesano Boat Launch - 09/15/16 07:04 PM

smile

Drove down to see if it was usable.....yes it is, nice job, 2 ramps.

There is still work to be done, but for 9/16/2016 it will get a good test.

Tide will be low, it will be a minus tide, in the morning so the low water test will be tested.

If you launch there and decide you want to fish up river....be careful above "Lukin's".....changes in gravel bar, could cause problems.

Good luck, stay safe !!!!!!!!
Posted by: carp

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/15/16 08:03 PM

How much room for parking? I heard it was pretty small
Posted by: eswan

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/15/16 08:18 PM

Same parking as it's always been from what I could see from the highway. I'll be back down there on Monday and swing in and check it out
Posted by: Eric

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/15/16 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: carp

Plenty of parking. There is some heavy equipment present but not so much that it will cause problems.

I was under the assumption the launch would be closed until work was completed, no?
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/15/16 09:32 PM

What did they use for material at the bottom where it meets the riverbed?

This stuff seems to be all the rage these days

They used something similar at the new Hoquiam River launch

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/16/16 05:30 AM

Doc:

That is what was used.......

Parking......As Eric said, the lot is good size, I did ask why the area under and to the West of the bridge was blocked off???? WDFW person, did not have an answer.

Now remember....Mary's River is out of business, could be plenty of parking there...

I'm old enough that I remember, rigs parking on both sides of the road coming in, and along the highway.

Just be ready to launch, nothing worse than to see some "dork", putting gear in the boat, when he finally gets "to the head of the line", grrrrrrrrrr

Have fun.....there are some fish.......remember once you have your adult limit, 1 hatchery King OR 1 hatchery Coho....you are done!!!!!

I'm be targeting jacks, 5, and then go for my adult.....but that's me!!!!!!

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/16/16 09:39 AM

Pretty good effort above the Aberdeen bridge as I drove into town this morning.

DAM! Forgot to pack a rod for the lunch hour.

Gonna have to make my rounds thru the park to BS with the local regulars to see how they're doing.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/16/16 10:39 AM

Ankle breaking material.........right there. Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/16/16 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Doc:

I'm old enough that I remember, rigs parking on both sides of the road coming in, and along the highway.

What does that say about me? I remember too. Used to be called Melbourne I think...
Posted by: Local

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/16/16 11:29 AM

I counted 27 vehicles at the launch this morning along with some Heavy equipment. Launch looks great !!

Drifter, Might be an easier launch for you boys with the big boats. If you know what I mean smile

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/16/16 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Pretty good effort above the Aberdeen bridge as I drove into town this morning.

DAM! Forgot to pack a rod for the lunch hour.

Gonna have to make my rounds thru the park to BS with the local regulars to see how they're doing.

Well... too DAM busy in clinic... LUNCH hour came and went with no report. Sorry.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/16/16 02:29 PM

Stupid jobs....

Hope you retired guys had good fishin'.
Posted by: bob r

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/16/16 05:31 PM

Melanie and I went out for the opening yesterday, fished incoming through the slack, no action except 3 pike minnows until the slack, then I caught and released a nice bright 8 lb. (or so) chinook with a fin. Didn't act much like a king, charged the boat and went airborne 7 ft. from the canoe. Only saw two other boats and never saw them fishing. One was at the launch at friend's landing, the other was in transit downstream. I think we'll avoid the rain tomorrow and hit it Sunday. Rain should bring in more fish. Bob R

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/16/16 07:03 PM

I like rain... giving it a go with f4b sans the F/V eyeFISH
Posted by: Local

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/17/16 09:34 AM

Found some eye wear at the ramp yesterday. If someone on the board lost them give me a PM with a description and I will be happy to return them. I am local so I can drive down to the ramp.
Posted by: Slab Quest

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/17/16 03:42 PM

Did they do anything about the concrete stinkhouse?
That thing was disgusting.

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/17/16 08:48 PM

Concrete stinkhouse....now its the big trees, just to the North of the parking lot........there are some dry leaves, well probably damp leaves now...... lol

Just kidding !!!!!!!
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/21/16 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric
Originally Posted By: carp

Plenty of parking. There is some heavy equipment present but not so much that it will cause problems.

I was under the assumption the launch would be closed until work was completed, no?

They are allowing people to launch and take out. There might be a delay at times but the ramp is open.
Posted by: osprey2015

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 09/24/16 02:23 PM

Ramp is looking good, kayaked out of there just before the work so it is a major improvement.

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 10/24/16 12:31 AM

With the Chehalis riding high for the past week 9-10K cfs at Porter, she's finally starting to drop in earnest.

All that chocolate brown silt coming downriver eventually has to settle somewhere, and the heart of tidewater is as good a place as any.

Check out all the silt deposited on the new ramps from the last high water event.

Careful out there, and don't try it without 4 wheel drive.

Re: Montesano Boat Launch - 10/24/16 07:45 AM

If you need "dirt" for your garden, to mix with other materials for flowers, this is good way to get the dirt for free.

I've taken "truck loads", home over the years.....

WDFW will clean it off, normally gets put in the "back left corner"....

Take a negative item, turn it into a positive thing!!!!