Ballard Locks Coho Gillnettimg: Chinook Impacts

Posted by: eldplanko

Ballard Locks Coho Gillnettimg: Chinook Impacts - 09/28/16 02:18 PM

We're lead to believe that be using gill nets of a certain size, the native's gillnetting isn't suppose to result in chinook impacts. These graphs say differently. Notice the sharp decline in chinook after Sep 11the when the gill nets went in:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/counts/sockeye/chinook_chart.jpg

Is WDFW receiving copies of these guys fish tickets? How does one find out?
Posted by: luckydogss

Re: Ballard Locks Coho Gillnettimg: Chinook Impacts - 09/28/16 11:40 PM

They catch a bunch of kings along with silvers, it doesn't matter what they say they're going to do. Look at the silver graph, it shows the same drop in numbers. They have nets after the locks as well. You might find a total caught in the future but you're not going to find any weekly totals.

What I found really interesting on your graph is the total fish counted over the locks. If you look at the asterisk description, it says they've DOUBLED the fish counts because they think half the fish go through the locks instead of the fish ladder. I find that really hard to believe but if that's true, they got twice the number of kings that was forecasted and they're tracking over the 10 yr avg for silvers. That's a lot of fish either milling around Lk Wa or on ice.

I'm sure the tribes used those numbers to justify their fisheries. I question all the forecasted, caught, and counted figures we're fed, they all seem to work against the recs when theyre talking about area 10 seasons.
Posted by: gregsalmon

Re: Ballard Locks Coho Gillnettimg: Chinook Impacts - 10/09/16 12:12 PM

You can buy fish from them on the spot, same as on the Duwamish. No creel census there......
Posted by: luckydogss

Re: Ballard Locks Coho Gillnettimg: Chinook Impacts - 10/09/16 07:37 PM

I was at the Issaquah hatchery today with my daughter. They have handled a whole 25 silvers so far. I don't know how many fish are needed for egg take goals but I'm sure they need a bunch more fish.
I watched the fish trying to get over the barrier and saw very few decent sized fish but saw a lot of jacks.
Supposedly 18k made it over the locks according to the final counts. I'll check back and see how many of those fish make it to the hatchery.
Posted by: IrishRogue

Re: Ballard Locks Coho Gillnettimg: Chinook Impacts - 10/10/16 05:28 PM

Muk's netting from the locks all the way up to the north tip of Lake Washington as of Sunday Night. Unlike previous 1 or 2 day openers, this one is for five days continuously. I'd love LOVE to see the count that gets to the hatchery too!
Posted by: eldplanko

Re: Ballard Locks Coho Gillnettimg: Chinook Impacts - 10/12/16 01:48 PM

No one should be surprised that the very large majority of the escapment fish are smaller than the size of the gillnet hole! You can see this first hand in the fish ladder viewing window.