Traveling for work

Posted by: Travler

Traveling for work - 01/10/17 05:31 PM

Hi guys, I'll be staying in Seattle in early March for work. I'll have some free time and would like to know if there are any rivers open or worth trying? I'd prefer to stay within a couple of hours from Seattle.

I've been through the WDFW site but if you're not familiar with the area "it reads like stereo instructions". I could be wrong but is the only option the upper Snoqaulmie?

Any input or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Posted by: eddie

Re: Traveling for work - 01/10/17 06:43 PM

What do you want to fish for?
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Traveling for work - 01/10/17 07:53 PM

That time of the year, Seattle is a tough go........Now if the city was Olympia or Longview/Kelso the choice would be easier.....

Enjoy Seattle, lots of things to do, just limited fishing adventures!!!!
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Traveling for work - 01/11/17 08:06 AM

Best bet close to Seattle would be to take a Charter out for winter blackmouth in the sound. Try Tyee Charters or Adventure charters.

In march there are river opportunities for Wild Steelhead, but most of the rivers in puget sound are closed at that time, forcing a 2-3 hour drive south or to the peninsula for an option.
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: Traveling for work - 01/11/17 08:42 AM

Where are you from?
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Traveling for work - 01/11/17 12:40 PM

One option if you don't mind fishing for trout.
Head over the pass and fish the Yakima. You can be fishing in about 90 minutes or so from Seattle on the upper river.
It had some nice rainbow and cutthroat. If you don't fly fish, you can toss barbless single hook spinners and spoons.
You also get to see some of the dry side of the state and the Yakima is a much better option then the Snoqualmie above the falls.
SF
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Traveling for work - 01/11/17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy

In march there are river opportunities for Wild Steelhead

Wild steelhead ????? I'm not aware of ANY WDFW managed waters that any wild steelhead may be taken......only "catch and release".

Now if you were thinking tribal rivers, then there is the lower Quinault River that can retain wild steelhead, must fish with a tribal guide.
Posted by: deerlick

Re: Traveling for work - 01/11/17 01:09 PM

he said opportunity not kill
Posted by: Travler

Re: Traveling for work - 01/12/17 03:11 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Catch and release only and I spend most of my time chasing steelhead in the Lake Michigan tributaries. I do have about 24 hours to kill and would consider staying somewhere else overnight if needed. I can always drive back to Seattle the next day.

Thanks again for the suggestions!