Reel Help

Posted by: MPM

Reel Help - 01/16/17 11:00 AM

In an effort to maintain and better understand my equipment, I took apart my Daiwa Tatula 100HSL baitcaster (it didn't seem as smooth as it had been).

Anyway, now when I put it back together, it will reel relatively smoothly if the drag is very loose, but if I tighten the drag it is difficult to reel (and a portion of the rotation is more difficult than the rest).

Any suggestions as to what boneheaded thing I did might cause that?
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Reel Help - 01/16/17 11:16 AM

Paging Brewer. Clean up on aisle 6.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Reel Help - 01/16/17 11:29 AM

My guess is that one of the metal washers in the drag stack (all the washers under the star drag) got flipped over? Some of them are concave and have a top/bottom.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/

Re: Reel Help - 01/16/17 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
My guess is that one of the metal washers in the drag stack (all the washers under the star drag) got flipped over? Some of them are concave and have a top/bottom.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/

That seems like a good bet. I'll check that out.

Re: Reel Help - 01/16/17 05:46 PM

Turns out I did have something flipped the wrong way (among other problems), but it was something that should have been more obvious than a washer. I'm not sure if the reel is better than when I started, but it's not worse, and I'll consider that a success for now.

Thanks!
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Reel Help - 01/17/17 08:23 AM

Hook up to Mr. Big....he'll check out that drag stack.

smile
Posted by: Ward

Re: Reel Help - 01/17/17 09:00 AM

Alan Tani's website is always worth checking out when a reel question comes up. There's a Daiwa section of the forums and lots of tutorials on servicing reels with pictures along with member questions and comments. Solved a lot of problems for me.
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Reel Help - 01/18/17 01:23 PM

My guess is the washer that has the 2 small ears that fit in the groved drive gear was not locked in. 😝