Internal zincs on Yamaha

Posted by: loop

Internal zincs on Yamaha - 04/19/17 04:50 PM

Anybody changing out their internal zinc anodes on their motors? Reading up on them online. I called a couple of the well known marine repair shops in the Seattle/Woodinville area who said they don't check or bother with them unless there is a problem ??? Sure we flush our motors with salt away, (or something like it). But unless your motor is up to temp and running so the thermostat opens the flush won't reach the other side. Saw some cruddy anodes on YouTube. I thought I was doing everything correct....now this. I've got Yamaha 200 & 9.9.....anyone want to chime in with their experience?....Thanks
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Internal zincs on Yamaha - 04/19/17 08:21 PM

I have a T8 and a 115 Yamaha. Had my internal zincs changed out (after 9 years) when I took the boat in for an oil change and tune-up. I do the SaltAway rinse after every trip, but thought a change out would be appropriate. I'm thinking every few years on the internals is cheap insurance.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Internal zincs on Yamaha - 04/20/17 08:24 AM

bushbear:

How bad were the "zincs", after 9 years? I know that many boat owners, that fish the salt, in the Region 6 area, stop at either the Montesano or Satsop launches and flush the motors out.
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Internal zincs on Yamaha - 04/20/17 08:43 AM

I don't know. No close by freshwater launches to flush the motors on the NOP, so I flush after every trip at home with SaltAway. I figured after about 10 years that replacement would be cheap insurance.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Internal zincs on Yamaha - 04/25/17 02:38 PM

Might be time for me on my 8 & 115/80. Never done it and they are 2004's. Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: Kelson

Re: Internal zincs on Yamaha - 04/26/17 01:17 PM

Jacobsens's in Edmonds checks them and replaces as required as part of a major tune up.
K
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Internal zincs on Yamaha - 04/26/17 01:39 PM

Yikes. Manual says to check/replace every year or 200 hours.
Posted by: Speyguy

Re: Internal zincs on Yamaha - 04/30/17 09:48 AM

My older model Seloc service manual (84-96) says 5 yrs/500 hrs and even though my '91 200 probably doesn't have 500 hrs on it, the heads have never been removed, so am a bit over the 5 yr mark. FWIW when I removed the heads on the supposed low mileage '91 130(in 06), zincs had almost no pitting. I can't imagine pulling the heads yearly